Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

How Is Temperature Defined on Safehold?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: How Is Temperature Defined on Safehold?
Post by ColinD   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:25 pm

ColinD
Midshipman

thanatos wrote:The oldest scale (and the one that makes the most sense for humans) is the Celsius scale, which was proposed by Anders Celsius in a paper published in 1710. His scale set 0 at the point water freezes and 100 at the point water boils.

Wrong. Celcius set 0 as the boiling point of water and 100 as the freezing point of water. The first use of the current scale came a year later, in France. Often called the "centigrade" scale, it was renamed to "Celcius" in honour of the aforementioned Anders Celcius. Personally, I don't think he deserved the honour - I would have preferred the Christin scale, after the frenchman who first developed it.
Post by Peter2   » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:17 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

ColinD wrote:
thanatos wrote:The oldest scale (and the one that makes the most sense for humans) is the Celsius scale, which was proposed by Anders Celsius in a paper published in 1710. His scale set 0 at the point water freezes and 100 at the point water boils.

Wrong. Celcius set 0 as the boiling point of water and 100 as the freezing point of water. The first use of the current scale came a year later, in France. Often called the "centigrade" scale, it was renamed to "Celcius" in honour of the aforementioned Anders Celcius. Personally, I don't think he deserved the honour - I would have preferred the Christin scale, after the frenchman who first developed it.

(My bolding)

Are you certain of that? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Post by Keith_w   » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:54 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Peter2 wrote: quote="ColinD" quote="thanatos" The oldest scale (and the one that makes the most sense for humans) is the Celsius scale, which was proposed by Anders Celsius in a paper published in 1710. His scale set 0 at the point water freezes and 100 at the point water boils./quote

Wrong. Celcius set 0 as the boiling point of water and 100 as the freezing point of water. The first use of the current scale came a year later, in France. Often called the "centigrade" scale, it was renamed to "Celcius" in honour of the aforementioned Anders Celcius. Personally, I don't think he deserved the honour - I would have preferred the Christin scale, after the frenchman who first developed it./quote

(My bolding)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsius
In 1742, Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius (1701–1744) created a temperature scale which was the reverse of the scale now known by the name "Celsius": 0 represented the boiling point of water, while 100 represented the freezing point of water. In his paper Observations of two persistent degrees on a thermometer, he recounted his experiments showing that the melting point of ice is essentially unaffected by pressure. He also determined with remarkable precision how the boiling point of water varied as a function of atmospheric pressure. He proposed that the zero point of his temperature scale, being the boiling point, would be calibrated at the mean barometric pressure at mean sea level. This pressure is known as one standard atmosphere. The BIPM's 10th General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) later defined one standard atmosphere to equal precisely 1013250dynes per square centimetre (101.325 kPa).[5]

In 1743, the Lyonnais physicist Jean-Pierre Christin, permanent secretary of the Académie des sciences, belles-lettres et arts de LyonFR, working independently of Celsius, developed a scale where zero represented the freezing point of water and 100 represented the boiling point of water.[6][7] On 19 May 1743 he published the design of a mercury thermometer, the "Thermometer of Lyon" built by the craftsman Pierre Casati that used this scale
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Peter2   » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:06 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Keith_w wrote:
Peter2 wrote: quote="ColinD" quote="thanatos" The oldest scale (and the one that makes the most sense for humans) is the Celsius scale, which was proposed by Anders Celsius in a paper published in 1710. His scale set 0 at the point water freezes and 100 at the point water boils./quote

Wrong. Celcius set 0 as the boiling point of water and 100 as the freezing point of water. The first use of the current scale came a year later, in France. Often called the "centigrade" scale, it was renamed to "Celcius" in honour of the aforementioned Anders Celcius. Personally, I don't think he deserved the honour - I would have preferred the Christin scale, after the frenchman who first developed it./quote

(My bolding)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsius
In 1742, Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius (1701–1744) created a temperature scale which was the reverse of the scale now known by the name "Celsius": 0 represented the boiling point of water, while 100 represented the freezing point of water. In his paper Observations of two persistent degrees on a thermometer, he recounted his experiments showing that the melting point of ice is essentially unaffected by pressure. He also determined with remarkable precision how the boiling point of water varied as a function of atmospheric pressure. He proposed that the zero point of his temperature scale, being the boiling point, would be calibrated at the mean barometric pressure at mean sea level. This pressure is known as one standard atmosphere. The BIPM's 10th General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) later defined one standard atmosphere to equal precisely 1013250dynes per square centimetre (101.325 kPa).[5]

In 1743, the Lyonnais physicist Jean-Pierre Christin, permanent secretary of the Académie des sciences, belles-lettres et arts de LyonFR, working independently of Celsius, developed a scale where zero represented the freezing point of water and 100 represented the boiling point of water.[6][7] On 19 May 1743 he published the design of a mercury thermometer, the "Thermometer of Lyon" built by the craftsman Pierre Casati that used this scale

Good heavens! :shock: :shock: Do you know if he gave any reasons for doing it that way round?
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Peter2 wrote:Good heavens! :shock: :shock: Do you know if he gave any reasons for doing it that way round?

Seemed like a good idea at the time?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by saber964   » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:25 pm

saber964
Admiral

John Prigent wrote:To the average person in any place the temperature scale runs as follows:
much too cold
too cold
rather chilly
a bit chilly
fairly comfortable
comfortable
a bit warm
rather warm
hot
too hot
much too hot.
If you don't believe me, just listen to people commenting about the weather. hardly anyone apart from forecasters and news reporters ever says '78 F today' or 'only 2 C so wear a coat'. Of course, some of us can and do automatically make the conversion to our favoured scale in our heads so don't care which one is used in a report.

Cheers,John

Try the redneck weather gauge.

First take a 1 ft piece of rope and nail it to a 6 ft post. Now fallow the fallowing guide.

1) If dry its sunny out
2) If wet its raining
3) If waving its windy
4) If icy its winter
5) If rope parallel to the the ground head for the cellar tornado is coming.
6) If post is gone Tornado is over
Post by CdnGunner   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:01 am

CdnGunner
Ensign

5) If rope parallel to the the ground head for the cellar tornado is coming.

Not necessarily.

I grew up in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada. It gets quite breezy there.

During WWII, there was a Commonwealth Air training centre there. The common saying about Lethbridge airport was that instead of having a standard windsock, Lethbridge used a 6' long logging chain, with 4" links. By Lethbridge standards, when the chain was straight out, it was still safe to land. When air friction started ripping the links off the end, it was time to head for your alternate.

See: https://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/defa ... 774B5B53-1

(Having lived there 30 years, I actually do not notice a wind of under 50 km/hr / 30 mph unless it has a cold edge to it.)
---------------
As it is possible for employees to become disgruntled, I believe it is critical to find ways to keep them gruntled.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:30 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Randomiser wrote:SCC raises a valid point about measurement in general. Inches,presumably with feet and yards are universal but not very well defined because they vary from place to place. On the other hand the Writ has injunctions against cheating people so there must be some idea of "an inch is about this much". Presumably the same goes for standards of weight and volume, but the subject in general has just never arisen in the books, except for the many discussions of linear measure.

As discussed elsewhere the archangels probably wanted a degree of variance in standards of measurement to hinder industrialisation.
If the command crew had wanted uniform weight and measures (even if they were based on imperial rather than metric) it would have been fairly straightforward to do so (not necessarily easy, but straightforward).

First create some divine reference prototypes (see Kilogram prototype in Paris) and then assign some order within the Church responsible for ensuring fair weights and measures throughout Safehold. The prototype rulers and weights probably stay in Zion and that order will create copies for use to be carried to local churches by members of the order. Then they act as a local reference standard to ensure everybody's rulers and weights match the Church ones.

There would be some drift, but if you force the regional samples to be brought back to Zion periodically for rechecking against the prototypes the drift it wouldn't be significant.

But they presumably felt less standardization was better and so didn't bother (or at least it hasn't come up yet)
Post by phillies   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:36 pm

phillies
Admiral

We see a point where Langhorne either made another mistake, or some details have not been populated.

Safehold did all math in Roman Numerals. Roman Numerals do not have a zero, or the concept of negative numbers. Using either of these temperature scales would create issues with numbers that cannot be written.

A simple answer is to set 1 as 'the temperature of Shan-Wei's Hell', and make it so cold as to be unattainable by man, say -200 F. All temperature are now positive numbers.
Post by evilauthor   » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:37 am

evilauthor
Captain of the List

phillies wrote:We see a point where Langhorne either made another mistake, or some details have not been populated.

Safehold did all math in Roman Numerals. Roman Numerals do not have a zero, or the concept of negative numbers. Using either of these temperature scales would create issues with numbers that cannot be written.

A simple answer is to set 1 as 'the temperature of Shan-Wei's Hell', and make it so cold as to be unattainable by man, say -200 F. All temperature are now positive numbers.

In that case, you might as well set "1" at Absolute Zero or something since values so low are completely irrelevant to Safehold.

A better "1" would be the lowest point on a mercury thermometer (since - you know - vanilla Safehold was advanced enough to make one as long as the Archangels taught them how). Basically where it's so cold, the thermometer becomes useless.

But I stand by my theory that the Archangels defined no temperature scale at all.

Return to Safehold