Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests

Smyle when you say that

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Smyle when you say that
Post by Peter2   » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:50 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

C. O. Thompson wrote:OK… I know we had discussions on pronunciations and I was going to return to that thread to post this but then I noticed we are up to 1,705 topics on 86 pages and decided that re reading, even the title of the topics would take me longer than I want, heck… I bet one of you would be able to reply before I finish my research so…
Sharleyan; I had been pronouncing as Shirley Ann but, now I am re-reading as I have with each new release and it occurred to me that it could be pronounced Charlene.
Any thoughts??

I thought it may have come from the "Safeholdization" (to coin a word!!) of a compound name like Charly-Anne – I've met girls who were named Charly. Rather like evilauthor, I've always mentally pronounced the name as Shar-lay-ann. I considered that that was what it said "on the bottle", so to speak ;)
Post by Charybdis   » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:38 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Peter2 wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:OK… I know we had discussions on pronunciations and I was going to return to that thread to post this but then I noticed we are up to 1,705 topics on 86 pages and decided that re reading, even the title of the topics would take me longer than I want, heck… I bet one of you would be able to reply before I finish my research so…
Sharleyan; I had been pronouncing as Shirley Ann but, now I am re-reading as I have with each new release and it occurred to me that it could be pronounced Charlene.
Any thoughts??

I thought it may have come from the "Safeholdization" (to coin a word!!) of a compound name like Charly-Anne – I've met girls who were named Charly. Rather like evilauthor, I've always mentally pronounced the name as Shar-lay-ann. I considered that that was what it said "on the bottle", so to speak ;)

Just checked and Amazon still sells a perfume called "Charlie" (labled 'for women') so I would say that 'Charlie' is an ambisexual name! :twisted: (Your Results May Vary!)
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by jtg452   » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:31 am

jtg452
Captain of the List

The spelling of names is my major peeve when reading the series.

Most of the time, I have no idea what name RFC intended to use for a character. I just don't see them right off very often- although, I have gotten better as the series progressed- and, to tell the truth, it's not important enough to me for me to waste reading time on trying to figure it out. Heck, it took me a couple books to catch onto Norman Bates and I just caught onto Jasper Clinton about a year ago.

I've given up trying to figure out exactly what the character's names are. I just make a snap decision sort of guess at what it is supposed to be and that's what I mentally label the character. If I figure it out later, then that's fine. If I don't, I don't.
Post by saber964   » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:49 pm

saber964
Admiral

Charybdis wrote:
Peter2" quote="C. O. Thompson wrote:OK… I know we had discussions on pronunciations and I was going to return to that thread to post this but then I noticed we are up to 1,705 topics on 86 pages and decided that re reading, even the title of the topics would take me longer than I want, heck… I bet one of you would be able to reply before I finish my research so…
Any thoughts??

Just checked and Amazon still sells a perfume called "Charlie" (labled 'for women') so I would say that 'Charlie' is an ambisexual name! :twisted: (Your Results May Vary!)[/quote]

Yes and no, on the bisexual of the name Charlie which is a form of Charles. But for women it's a nickname for Charlotte and Charlene.

FYI Princess Charlotte is named for her grandfather Prince Charles.
Post by Peter2   » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:57 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

saber964 wrote:
[snip]

Yes and no, on the bisexual of the name Charlie which is a form of Charles. But for women it's a nickname for Charlotte and Charlene.

FYI Princess Charlotte is named for her grandfather Prince Charles.

Hmmm, but as you say, yes and no. There's really no answer to this one. What you propose is one interpretation, just as mine is another. It may or may not be what what the person who gave the name intended. Like the guy I met called Frank. Everyone assumed that this was short for Francis, but it wasn't. He had been christened Frank, and neither he nor I knew what his parents had in mind – he because he'd grown up with the name and never thought to ask, and I because by the time I thought to ask, it was too late to do so.

I gave my interpretation of the way the name Sharleyan could have been derived, but it was an interpretation based on an Occam's Razor-type argument, as being most similar to a possible terrestrial name. I am perfectly prepared to be proved wrong.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:30 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

jtg452 wrote:The spelling of names is my major peeve when reading the series.

Most of the time, I have no idea what name RFC intended to use for a character. I just don't see them right off very often- although, I have gotten better as the series progressed- and, to tell the truth, it's not important enough to me for me to waste reading time on trying to figure it out. Heck, it took me a couple books to catch onto Norman Bates and I just caught onto Jasper Clinton about a year ago.

I've given up trying to figure out exactly what the character's names are. I just make a snap decision sort of guess at what it is supposed to be and that's what I mentally label the character. If I figure it out later, then that's fine. If I don't, I don't.

I think this "tool" is the most economical method to bring a sense of outre to the people of Safehold.
Remember in OAR when Nimue "woke up" and discovered that the pronunciations had changed and shifted even when the words were spelled the same??
Thank God that David did not change the spelling of every word to reflect this!!
As you (and I) pointed out figuring out the prognostication of a hand full of names is much easier... In fact, just today I came up with Sampson as Zahmsyn for the first name of the Chancellor of the Counsel of Vicars and I still stumble over a handful of others :?
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Charybdis   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:19 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

C. O. Thompson wrote:
jtg452 wrote:The spelling of names is my major peeve when reading the series.

I think this "tool" is the most economical method to bring a sense of outre to the people of Safehold.
Remember in OAR when Nimue "woke up" and discovered that the pronunciations had changed and shifted even when the words were spelled the same??
Thank God that David did not change the spelling of every word to reflect this!!
As you (and I) pointed out figuring out the prognostication of a hand full of names is much easier... In fact, just today I came up with Sampson as Zahmsyn for the first name of the Chancellor of the Counsel of Vicars and I still stumble over a handful of others :?

So, what you are saying is that we keep finding things in the Safehold Opus that escaped our 1st, 2nd, ... Nth reading. No higher praise possible for our RFC aythor! :lol:
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by jtg452   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:11 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Peter2 wrote:[ Like the guy I met called Frank. Everyone assumed that this was short for Francis, but it wasn't. He had been christened Frank, and neither he nor I knew what his parents had in mind – he because he'd grown up with the name and never thought to ask, and I because by the time I thought to ask, it was too late to do so.

It's not that unusual in parts of the country. .

I was born and raised in the Deep South in a small town out in the country. More than one man in town- including myself- was legally named Billy, Johnny or Jimmy (or variants ending in 'ie')- not just commonly called by the informal, familiar version of William, John, Jonathon or James.

A 90 year old man answering to Jimmy (not Jim or James) is not unusual. Although, by that time, he's probably referred to as 'Mr. Jimmy' in deference to his advanced years.

Then again, one side of his family may have had the tradition of using 'Francis' while another had the tradition of using 'Franklin'. In that case, a simple 'Frank' would be a way to honor both family traditions at the same time.

It's a discussion I end up having with new folks at work on occasion if they are not used to it. The name on the birth certificate is what I answer to. I'm not John and definitely not Jonathon. Transplants seem to have a bigger issue with the concept than folks that grew up in the South. The 'carpetbaggers' (that's what I call the transplants that seem dedicated to remaking where they are now into wherever they came from) take more reminding- up to and including me being forced to ignore them when they speak to me until they call me by my correct name.
Post by Charybdis   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:30 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

jtg452 wrote:It's not that unusual in parts of the country. .

I was born and raised in the Deep South in a small town out in the country. More than one man in town- including myself- was legally named Billy, Johnny or Jimmy (or variants ending in 'ie')- not just commonly called by the informal, familiar version of William, John, Jonathon or James.

A 90 year old man answering to Jimmy (not Jim or James) is not unusual. Although, by that time, he's probably referred to as 'Mr. Jimmy' in deference to his advanced years.

Then again, one side of his family may have had the tradition of using 'Francis' while another had the tradition of using 'Franklin'. In that case, a simple 'Frank' would be a way to honor both family traditions at the same time.

It's a discussion I end up having with new folks at work on occasion if they are not used to it. The name on the birth certificate is what I answer to. I'm not John and definitely not Jonathon. Transplants seem to have a bigger issue with the concept than folks that grew up in the South. The 'carpetbaggers' (that's what I call the transplants that seem dedicated to remaking where they are now into wherever they came from) take more reminding- up to and including me being forced to ignore them when they speak to me until they call me by my correct name.

(NOTE: Semi-diversion - commentary on some name usage etc,)
For those not in the know, the author of the original novel M*A*S*H, pen-name Richard Hooker / Hawkeye, wrote a couple of autobiographical follow-on books, one being "M*A*S*H Goes to Maine" where he describes reassembling his friends in Maine as a medical practice. A major character from the original novel in Korea was a black surgeon with the nickname of 'Spearchucker' (for his quarterback throwing.)

With the almost lily-white population of mid-50s Maine, these two friends naturally worried about Spearchucker's acceptance, as a person and as a surgeon. After a few months, Hawkeye had a chance to ask about acceptance again and the humorous reply shows the backsliding we see now. Spearchucker related how he came close to fighting when he was first called 'boy' until he saw that many others were called the same thing because it was just a common use. He then added that what he did fear was being called 'young feller' as that appeared to be reserved for 70+ year olds!

I, in my serious moments, worry how colloquialisms and community come under pressure by the PC Crowd, under the control of the most easily offended! Sorry for this diversion, but I do recommend the original 3 semi-autobiographical novels by Richard Hooker; M*A*S*H, M*A*S*H goes to Maine & M*A*S*H Mania. There is a farcical series using the MASH characters by William Butterworth & Richard Hooker, but that is played for laughs so don't look for them!

(End of diversion)
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by Peter2   » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:28 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Charybdis wrote:For those not in the know, the author of the original novel M*A*S*H, pen-name Richard Hooker / Hawkeye, wrote a couple of autobiographical follow-on books, one being "M*A*S*H Goes to Maine" where he describes reassembling his friends in Maine as a medical practice. A major character from the original novel in Korea was a black surgeon with the nickname of 'Spearchucker' (for his quarterback throwing.)

Yes, he was a quarterback, but I thought the name came from his prowess in throwing the javelin.

I, in my serious moments, worry how colloquialisms and community come under pressure by the PC Crowd, under the control of the most easily offended! Sorry for this diversion, but I do recommend the original 3 semi-autobiographical novels by Richard Hooker; M*A*S*H, M*A*S*H goes to Maine & M*A*S*H Mania. There is a farcical series using the MASH characters by William Butterworth & Richard Hooker, but that is played for laughs so don't look for them!

(End of diversion)

Thank you for that! I have M*A*S*H and M*A*S*H goes to Maine but the third one is news to me. Another objective for my next visit to the second-hand book shops . . . ;)

Return to Safehold