Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests

Smyle when you say that

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Smyle when you say that
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:10 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

<snip>

So, what you are saying is that we keep finding things in the Safehold Opus that escaped our 1st, 2nd, ... Nth reading. No higher praise possible for our RFC aythor! :lol:
-----

What say you, my peers?

<snip>

I strongly agree... in point of fact, I have posted this same thought each time I have re-read the work.
It also amazed me that he appeared to have worked out these subtle points well in advance.
Do you think that he had Hector and Iris in mind when Hector was fighting side be side with his king on the deck of Royal Charis?

Would you be surprised to find that, now that the Brotherhood of Saint Zerneau have met Nimue and have access to OWL that they undertake a process to store all their files on OWL's memory and find another hidden archive... Maybe back up of Shawn-Wei and others from Alexandria that could be uploaded into PICA's as an example?

There are a few clues that point to some other hidden assets.

But, hey... if I could write like David, you would be chatting on my web page ;)
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by jtg452   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:33 am

jtg452
Captain of the List

Charybdis wrote:So, what you are saying is that we keep finding things in the Safehold Opus that escaped our 1st, 2nd, ... Nth reading. No higher praise possible for our RFC aythor! :lol:

Oh, I enjoy the nuances, all of the use of foreshadowing and the hints he drops in an innocuous manner in prior books that you find upon rereading. RFC's one of the best and most subtle authors I've read when it comes to using those plot devices.

I just find the alternative spellings that are more along the lines of a cryptoquote in the newspaper to be distracting.

I end up with a part of my mind trying to figure out the correct pronunciation every time I see the name while the rest is trying to continue reading the book. So, rather than reading deeply and paying attention like you really need to do to fully enjoy his work, I find myself distracted by trying to figure out how the character's name is pronounced. With as subtle as he can be, that distraction isn't what you really want.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:58 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

<snip>
I just find the alternative spellings that are more along the lines of a cryptoquote in the newspaper to be distracting.

I end up with a part of my mind trying to figure out the correct pronunciation every time I see the name while the rest is trying to continue reading the book. So, rather than reading deeply and paying attention like you really need to do to fully enjoy his work, I find myself distracted by trying to figure out how the character's name is pronounced. With as subtle as he can be, that distraction isn't what you really want.
<snip>

I relate to this... I am re-reading as the run up to the next book and there are two events that I expected to have seen by the time I reached page 417 of "like a Mighty Army" that I think I 'glazed over'.

The first one I really wanted to look at more closely took place between Wylsynn brothers and the spoke about sending Paitye to Charis and not having access to the key.

The second was where Merlin wakes up the king of Tarot to give him some advice.

Most of my copies are hard bound and the ability to "look up" are restricted to the OAR and the latest two books. :cry:
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:24 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

C. O. Thompson wrote:<snip>

<snip>

I relate to this... I am re-reading as the run up to the next book and there are two events that I expected to have seen by the time I reached page 417 of "like a Mighty Army" that I think I 'glazed over'.

The first one I really wanted to look at more closely took place between Wylsynn brothers and the spoke about sending Paitye to Charis and not having access to the key.

The second was where Merlin wakes up the king of Tarot to give him some advice.

Most of my copies are hard bound and the ability to "look up" are restricted to the OAR and the latest two books. :cry:

I made a mistook... The book I am re-reading is "A Mighty Fortress" and I have since found the passage where the king of Tarot got his wake up call but I had forgotten that it was Abraham Zevons persona who paid the visit.

The other passage is somewhere behind me and not likely to be found before the next book is released. <grin>
Just my 2 ₡ worth

Return to Safehold