Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

An out of order snippet: Significant spoiler

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: An out of order snippet: Significant spoiler
Post by Charybdis   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:55 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:A seijin come to arrest a rebel ringleader all alone and succeeding is quite the deterrent. A little, ity, bity woman seijin doing the arresting will just add to the story.

I am strongly reminded of a Texas Ranger legend. Local sheriff wires Ranger HQ requesting immediate assistance for riot and unrest! Return telegraph advises him to meet the train. Train pulls in and a single Texas Ranger exits and goes to get his horse. Dumbfounded sheriff asks where the others are and the Ranger says that he is alone. When the sheriff protests about the situation, the Ranger looks at him and says "Its just one riot, right?" :twisted:

There is a reason that Chuck Norris chose his TV role as a Texas Ranger, not a California Highway Patrolman ... err Patrolperson! :roll:
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by n7axw   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:18 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I certainly wouldn't deny Nimue's capabilities...

Blackhorse won't be aware of her capabilities... Merlin tends to avoid violence when possible and I suspect Nimue is in that mold as well. Having a detail along could contribute to that end.

I'm not speculating one way or the other here... I was just wondering.

I do bet he is wondering who spilled the beans... :o

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:08 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

"How did you know?", he asks.

"What evil lurks in the hearts of men? The seijins know. Muuuhahahahahaha!"
Post by evilauthor   » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:33 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

n7axw wrote:I certainly wouldn't deny Nimue's capabilities...

Blackhorse won't be aware of her capabilities... Merlin tends to avoid violence when possible and I suspect Nimue is in that mold as well. Having a detail along could contribute to that end.

I'm not speculating one way or the other here... I was just wondering.

I do bet he is wondering who spilled the beans... :o

Don

-

On the flip side, I get the impression that Black Horse is alone with Nimue in what should have been a secure location, with Nimue armed and him... not. And Black Horse has likely heard all the stories of what violence Seijin are capable of.

So when Nimue tells him that she can take his head with absolute calm and certainty, she's VERY convincing.
Post by XofDallas   » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:46 pm

XofDallas
Commander

Frankly, I'd love to see Nimue walking out of the secure room holding Black Rock's head by the hair, and one of the say, 10 subordinates in the room start to draw his sword, only to have her sword at his neck before his clears the scabbard.

I'm not bloodthirsty. Am I?
Post by Sharp Claw   » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:25 pm

Sharp Claw
Lieutenant Commander

So I have to wonder, where is Irys while this is going on? Is Irys on a stste visit to corisande? Or is she going to have to do without her seijin bodyguard for a while? Or is Nimue using a different persona,? In the snippet RFC mentions dark blue eyes but doesn't specifically call the seijin Nimue.
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:54 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Sharp Claw wrote:So I have to wonder, where is Irys while this is going on? Is Irys on a stste visit to corisande? Or is she going to have to do without her seijin bodyguard for a while? Or is Nimue using a different persona,? In the snippet RFC mentions dark blue eyes but doesn't specifically call the seijin Nimue.

Merlin would do this in his own persona, because his reputation would add to the likelihood of the Duke surrendering. Nimue doesn't have that rep yet, but it would be useful to start building it. Probably reduces to whether or not the situation allows enough time for her to travel there and back by Safeholdian means without overly exposing Daikyn.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:47 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Sharp Claw wrote:So I have to wonder, where is Irys while this is going on? Is Irys on a stste visit to corisande? Or is she going to have to do without her seijin bodyguard for a while? Or is Nimue using a different persona,? In the snippet RFC mentions dark blue eyes but doesn't specifically call the seijin Nimue.

It has become clear already in HFQ that security arrangements for Corisande's royals have settled in to the point that Nimue's constant presence is no longer required which allows her to undertake an occasional mission. So far most of those missions have been with different persona...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Thrandir   » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:20 pm

Thrandir
Commander

Thanks RFC nice teaser and I've been waiting for Black Horse to get what is due :lol:
Post by Iorwerth   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:58 am

Iorwerth
Ensign

Joke as told me by my father who served with Gurkhas in WWII

An enemy soldier and a Gurkha met in the jungle. The enemy soldier goes for his rifle, but the Gurkha leaps at him and takes a mighty swing with his Kukri.

"Ha!"says the enemy soldier, "you missed!"

"Try nodding your head." replies the Gurkha.
--------------------
yma o hyd

Cymru am byth

Return to Safehold