Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

Snippet #7 (if I have it right)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Snippet #7 (if I have it right)
Post by XofDallas   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:05 am

XofDallas
Commander

Thank you for the snippet, RFC. Please, please take care of yourself.
Post by GlynnStewart   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:34 pm

GlynnStewart
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I'll join in the chorus here: take care of yourself first RFC!

We'll still buy all the books if they're released a few months later, and we'll definitely still buy them without snippets.

(Keep trying to get myself not to read those anyway ;))
Post by justdave   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:52 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

Randomiser wrote:Lock your office, give Sharon the key and go have a rest.

snippets are nice but more important is finishing HH/Safehold and MOST important is that the MWW gets to finish his Fantasy Magnum Opus, the Norfressa Saga
Post by BarryKirk   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:47 pm

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

I'll ech the sentiments here. RFC, take care of your health. I know that writing is your life's work, but we the readers care about your good health more than receiving snippets.

You are in my prayers.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:06 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
WeberFan wrote:Don't know if anyone paid attention to it because it was right at the end of the snippet, but Rydymak Keep,
Cheshyr bay, Earldom of Cheshyr is in the western part of Chisholm where the malcontents are...

Methinks some chicanery is afoot... :roll:

The April YoG 897, Chapter IX in _Hell's Foundations Quiver_ has some background (the Dowager Countess is a loyalist, her son, the current Earl, is incapable of rule - paralyzed in an accident; can't even speak - and his 15 year old son is a brainless teenager.

Not brainless. Only inexperienced and a bit too innocent. Hope he survives long enough to become wise. But it doesn't look good...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:20 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

BarryKirk wrote:I'll ech the sentiments here. RFC, take care of your health. I know that writing is your life's work, but we the readers care about your good health more than receiving snippets.

You are in my prayers.

Yes - amen to that!
Post by Peter2   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:51 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Peter2 wrote:
WeberFan wrote:Don't know if anyone paid attention to it because it was right at the end of the snippet, but Rydymak Keep,
Cheshyr bay, Earldom of Cheshyr is in the western part of Chisholm where the malcontents are...

Methinks some chicanery is afoot... :roll:

Ohhhh yes. Yes indeed. I spotted that too, and I'm really looking forward to reading about how they get their comeuppance :evil:

. . . and RFC provided. What a great guy! :) :) :)
Post by PalmerSperry   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:19 pm

PalmerSperry
Commander

runsforcelery wrote:
“Because I did.” Thirsk’s good hand pointed at the whiskey decanter and glasses on the small table at the bishop’s elbow. “Would you pour for us, My Lord?” He smiled thinly. “It’s Glynfych . . . from Chisholm.”

“Is it?” Maik smiled slightly as he unstoppered the decanter and poured the amber liquid into the glasses. “I’m sure the bottle was imported long before the Grand Inquisitor prohibited any trade with Chisholm.”

Yes, the bottle was imported long before the prohibition on trade came in ... It may however have been refilled several times from other bottles that arrived later, but the bottle itself is definitely pre-prohibition! ;)
Post by Thrandir   » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:36 pm

Thrandir
Commander

Thanks RFC for the snippet.
Thanks to Duckk for reposting David's explanation about his health.

To you RFC follow the doctor's advice, we all want you around fit and as healthy as you can be; mainly because we are selfish and want the Safehold series finished but seriously the world would be a much sadder place without someone of your talents and ability.

Paul M.
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:20 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

I don't think that Thirsk is going to try to recruit Maik for some 'Grand Plan' at this stage, quite apart from it being an extreme and unnecessary risk, the Admiral hasn't yet had time to work out what he wants to do or can do. It seems much more likely that he is trying to convince Maik to support his return to duty. After all, he isn't going back to command if the Navy's Intendant isn't happy with him doing so. OTOH Maik knows him too well for Thirsk to just pretend that the loss of his family makes no difference to his attitude, so he has to work on some story that will sound plausible to the Bishop or at least good enough to pass.

I suspect it might be something along the lines that he knows Clyntahn is out for his head and will get it someday, but the Navy is the only thing he now has left in life and it's interests, Dohlar's and Mother Church's can best be served by him spending his remaining time doing what he can for them, whatever he feels about the GoF. In other words, 'I'm resigned to my fate, but at least help me spend what time I have remaining doing something useful for my Navy, my king and my Church.' 'Clyntahn's a waste of air, but the Church will survive him. God and the Archangels expect me to do my duty whether or not *other people* are doing theirs' is certainly more believable than 'I love Vicar Zhaspahr.'

Return to Safehold