Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 80 guests

ATST Snippet #6 (I think)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: ATST Snippet #6 (I think)
Post by pushmar   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:23 pm

pushmar
Lieutenant Commander

Now that's a fine bit of history, thank you runsforcelery!

Just for curiosity's sake, if and when the people of the planet of Safehold learns that their religion was fabricated under less-than-pure motives, would they reject all religion afterwards? Or turn to old-earth religions again? Or would some stubbornly keep the Writ of Langhorne, even knowing it was pure fabrication? Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:25 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

pushmar wrote:Now that's a fine bit of history, thank you runsforcelery!

Just for curiosity's sake, if and when the people of the planet of Safehold learns that their religion was fabricated under less-than-pure motives, would they reject all religion afterwards? Or turn to old-earth religions again? Or would some stubbornly keep the Writ of Langhorne, even knowing it was pure fabrication? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

In answer to all three of your speculations . . .

yes.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Peter2   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

I wonder if it wold be possible to arrange some special deliveries of those chamber-pots? One on the Temple steps, certainly. Another in the Plaza of Martyrs, possibly. A few in the Barracks of the Temple Guards and wherever the remaining Inquisitors live, definitely. And one in Rayno's water closet, unquestionably!
Post by pushmar   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:34 pm

pushmar
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote:
pushmar wrote:Now that's a fine bit of history, thank you runsforcelery!

In answer to all three of your speculations . . .

yes.

Guess I didn't have to wait too long to find out after all! :D
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:20 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:Sophmoric, childish or whatever... It was still funny. It probably says something about me, but I've always enjoyed cornball humor...you know, heee hawww!!!

What would really cap this off would be to put minature Clyntahn commodes for sale up on the website... :lol:

Don

-

BTW If you do a google search for "chamberpot head", then the first image is of a Napoleonic pot from 1805, with an actual little bust of the man inside!!
Post by Castenea   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:02 pm

Castenea
Captain of the List

Peter2 wrote:I wonder if it wold be possible to arrange some special deliveries of those chamber-pots? One on the Temple steps, certainly. Another in the Plaza of Martyrs, possibly. A few in the Barracks of the Temple Guards and wherever the remaining Inquisitors live, definitely. And one in Rayno's water closet, unquestionably!

While I think special deliveries of Clyntyn chamber pots inside of Zion is going a little far; The Grand Fornicator's reaction when he learns of them is likely to be epic.

Will be interesting to find out how many are smuggled into the temple lands, and how many imitators they inspire.
Post by DMcCunney   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:14 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

pushmar wrote:Just for curiosity's sake, if and when the people of the planet of Safehold learns that their religion was fabricated under less-than-pure motives, would they reject all religion afterwards? Or turn to old-earth religions again? Or would some stubbornly keep the Writ of Langhorne, even knowing it was pure fabrication? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

That's what I'd expect.

I can see folks deciding that while the Writ might be made up out of whole cloth, what it wanted people to do and how it wanted them to behave was reasonable and worth following, and I can see Langhorne becoming St. Langhorne instead of Archangel Langhorne when the dust settles, because he did try to create a religion that encouraged men and women to live together as brothers and sisters because all were God's children. Merlin can contribute the pre-Armageddon Reef version of the Writ in Commodore Pei's download, minus the books of Chihiro and Schueler, and people might say "These aren't bad words to live by. Not Langhorne's fault that other hands changed things after he was gone."
_______
Dennis
Post by BobG   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:23 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

Peter2 wrote:I wonder if it wold be possible to arrange some special deliveries of those chamber-pots? One on the Temple steps, certainly. Another in the Plaza of Martyrs, possibly. A few in the Barracks of the Temple Guards and wherever the remaining Inquisitors live, definitely. And one in Rayno's water closet, unquestionably!

Rainbow Water's privy. He might actually appreciate it (and realize that if a chamber pot could be placed in his privy, then what else could also be?)

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by evilauthor   » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:08 am

evilauthor
Captain of the List

pushmar wrote:Guess I didn't have to wait too long to find out after all! :D

When you think about it, it's the only realistic answer. Human beings aren't a hive mind after all. Different people will react differently to the same set of information.

If anything, we're ALREADY seeing this divergence in the Inner Circle. Some of them were turned off to religion entirely. Others have had their faith renewed. Still others just shrugged and had a "so what?" reaction.

The only thing they're not doing that's going to happen in the population at large is fighting among themselves. But that's because they're a select group chosen specifically because they can and have worked together fighting a common cause against a common enemy.
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:03 am

Dilandu
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:The reason for this little digression of mine is that shortly after the issuance of his general order, several Confederate chamber pot manufacturers found a profitable and arguably patriotic market by producing chamber pots with his picture on the bottom and the words “A Salute to Mister Spoons” around the rim.

I did mention that Nahrmahn’s become a student of Old Earth history, didn’t I?

Yeah, but he seems to dig too deep. The art of propaganda became... well, much more refined and developed in XX century, than those first attempts of XIX.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)

Return to Safehold