Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 91 guests

Yet another out of order snippet

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Yet another out of order snippet
Post by Alistair   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:34 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

Did anyone notice the high orthodoxy of the letter? no replacing Langhorne with a direct relationship with God- but rather a letter assuming Langhorne as an archangel on his throne. mentioning the Inqusition as Gods Rod of correction etc.

In Charis they have toned down such Language in there church services I suspect preparing the way for the great reveal.

I assume this letter had the inner circles blessing so its an interesting choice of words.
Post by WeberFan   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:12 am

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Alistair wrote:Did anyone notice the high orthodoxy of the letter? no replacing Langhorne with a direct relationship with God- but rather a letter assuming Langhorne as an archangel on his throne. mentioning the Inqusition as Gods Rod of correction etc.

In Charis they have toned down such Language in there church services I suspect preparing the way for the great reveal.

I assume this letter had the inner circles blessing so its an interesting choice of words.

I get the impression that this is from a broadsheet, posted on the walls everywhere in Zion. As to the event itself, it's pretty clear that the Helm Cleaver personnel are dead and gone... But I also get the impression that Inquisition personnel either A) Found the senior inquisition dead in their beds with their throats cut or something similar, or B) Found the senior inquisition personnel staked to a wall a-la Mab's work with the priest on the barge... With a note stuck to at least one... Either way, a true "terror attack" whose meaning cannot be misinterpreted: "we know where you're hiding... we can reach you... there's nothing you can do to prevent us from taking you whenever WE want..." Playing with the inquisition's mind the way a cat-lizard plays with a spider.
Post by Sharp Claw   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:23 am

Sharp Claw
Lieutenant Commander

WeberFan wrote:
Alistair wrote:Did anyone notice the high orthodoxy of the letter? no replacing Langhorne with a direct relationship with God- but rather a letter assuming Langhorne as an archangel on his throne. mentioning the Inqusition as Gods Rod of correction etc.

I get the impression that this is from a broadsheet, posted on the walls everywhere in Zion. As to the event itself, it's pretty clear that the Helm Cleaver personnel are dead and gone... But I also get the impression that Inquisition personnel either A) Found the senior inquisition dead in their beds with their throats cut or something similar, or B) Found the senior inquisition personnel staked to a wall a-la Mab's work with the priest on the barge... With a note stuck to at least one... Either way, a true "terror attack" whose meaning cannot be misinterpreted: "we know where you're hiding... we can reach you... there's nothing you can do to prevent us from taking you whenever WE want..." Playing with the inquisition's mind the way a cat-lizard plays with a spider.

Or RFC is using a bit of misdirection here. I hope they just want the inquisition to think they are dead and the helm cleaver people have been taken away from Zion.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:17 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

It is very possible that the writers of the letter/broadsheet aren't in on the "Great Secret".

Of course, the High Orthodoxy of the letter/broadsheet would have a greater impact on the readers, both Temple Loyalists and Reformers, than otherwise.

Note, I'm guessing that this is a broadsheet seen by many in Zion.

Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Randomiser   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:48 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Who said anything about a broadsheet? They are carving this one into the walls with a molecular disrupter! :twisted:

Well, perhaps not, but it was a nice thought. :lol:

Random Thoughts (What else?)

Most excellent news about the release date!

Common sense has broken out at last and Wylbyr Edwyrds has finally been dealt with; his name should have headed the list after Sarkyn.

Given that St Thyrmyns is the 2nd or 3rd largest item on the Inquisition's monthly budget, this is a very short list of those who have been 'sent along'. Wonder if it only names the high-ups, or whether the raid was more restrained than many have imagined?

Either the Inquisition have been very smart about ripping these down or there has been a considerable delay in getting them up. See Duchairn and Maigwair's uncertainty if anything has happened at St Thyrmyns in other snippets. They clearly have not heard of this message at that stage.

As for the theology, I suspect this should be considered a little outsourced job OWL Publicity Services has done for the Fist of God rather than one of the regular broadsheets. It fits their view of the realities perfectly.

Sad about Zhorzhet and Marzho, but no free ride for the Good Guys allowed.

I wonder how the inquisitors of St Thyrmyn Prison learned whose side God is truly on? Was it a result of their final destination, or of whatever had Raynoh so panicked?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:04 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Randomiser wrote:Who said anything about a broadsheet? They are carving this one into the walls with a molecular disrupter! :twisted:

Well, perhaps not, but it was a nice thought. :lol:

Random Thoughts (What else?)

Most excellent news about the release date!

Common sense has broken out at last and Wylbyr Edwyrds has finally been dealt with; his name should have headed the list after Sarkyn.

Given that St Thyrmyns is the 2nd or 3rd largest item on the Inquisition's monthly budget, this is a very short list of those who have been 'sent along'. Wonder if it only names the high-ups, or whether the raid was more restrained than many have imagined?

Either the Inquisition have been very smart about ripping these down or there has been a considerable delay in getting them up. See Duchairn and Maigwair's uncertainty if anything has happened at St Thyrmyns in other snippets. They clearly have not heard of this message at that stage.

As for the theology, I suspect this should be considered a little outsourced job OWL Publicity Services has done for the Fist of God rather than one of the regular broadsheets. It fits their view of the realities perfectly.

Sad about Zhorzhet and Marzho, but no free ride for the Good Guys allowed.

I wonder how the inquisitors of St Thyrmyn Prison learned whose side God is truly on? Was it a result of their final destination, or of whatever had Raynoh so panicked?

I took this to mean that it has taken place considerably after whatever happened at St Thyrmyn's. I think the list of people given is the list of people that they have just offed - they were not present at St Thyrmyn's.

As far as Zhorzhet and Marzho, I am reminded of the Hector mortally wounded snippet from LAMA. I will reserve mourning for them until I see the deaths confirmed from another source (elsewhere in the book).
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:57 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Clyntahn would probably be pretty offended by such letters... because actually the only thing he was NOT demonstrated (yet) to be is a fornicator) :)
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:16 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Dilandu,

We've had references to Clyntahn's many mistresses, in part why he has the corner apartment etc, in the earlier books.

We don't know if Nynian was one of them, but her original plan to visit Zion may have included appealing to Clyntahn to lure him out where he could be killed by Helm Cleaver, but that has probably changed now that she has far greater tools available.

But I expect her to still want to explain to him just how wrong he's been before letting him go to his final judgement.

L

Dilandu wrote:Clyntahn would probably be pretty offended by such letters... because actually the only thing he was NOT demonstrated (yet) to be is a fornicator) :)
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Peter2   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:32 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

My goodness, I really did enjoy that – so much so that I read it twice. I think I shall enjoy even more reading about the Great Fornicator's apoplectic fit after he first reads it :D :D :D
Post by wyrm   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:47 am

wyrm
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Peter2 wrote:My goodness, I really did enjoy that – so much so that I read it twice. I think I shall enjoy even more reading about the Great Fornicator's apoplectic fit after he first reads it.

What would make it perfect would be if, among the Grand Inquisitor's possessions, there was the key that would activate the orbital bombardment system, and Clyntahn destroyed it during the fit. Merlin telling Clyntahn that he had the key to victory in his hands, and destroyed it himself would be the most exquisite torture. :twisted:

Return to Safehold