Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 71 guests

An out of order snippet about corrupting OWL

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: An out of order snippet about corrupting OWL
Post by Rod   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:28 pm

Rod
Lieutenant Commander

You know, I always under the impression that Merlin would be the only one who could give OWL a command. Like “Order a complete memory purge” Merlin being the first copy of Niume. Guess I was wrong!
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:42 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Rod wrote:You know, I always under the impression that Merlin would be the only one who could give OWL a command. Like “Order a complete memory purge” Merlin being the first copy of Niume. Guess I was wrong!

“At which point I trust Commander Athrawes will be compassionate enough to order a complete memory purge,” Owl replied.

I think that's what it says.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by XofDallas   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:09 am

XofDallas
Commander

lexisgrandpa wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:“Now there, Owl, I’m afraid you may have a point,” Nahrmahn admitted. “Of course, I may be just a bit prejudiced, since I was never so foolish as to decide to die for a principal.”

“My analysis suggests that that was simply because you never had to choose whether or not to do so,” Owl corrected gently. “Although, I will concede that when you did choose to die, it was for something rather more important than an empty, self-serving political ‘principle.’”

“There wasn’t a great deal of ‘choosing’ tbyo it, really. It was more a matter of automatic reaction.”

“And, looking back, would you have chosen any other way?” Owl challenged with a smile.

“No,” Nahrmahn acknowledged. He rested one electronic hand on the AI’s equally immaterial shoulder and shook him gently. “No, I wouldn’t have. So I suppose you win this one.”

“When it is a matter of logic and analysis, I almost always win,” Owl pointed out. “Unfortunately, dealing with humans, logic and analysis are usually the last resort of scoundrels.”

“A joke!” Nahrmahn laughed delightedly. “I’m corrupting you, Owl! Next thing, you’ll be producing puns!”

“At which point I trust Commander Athrawes will be compassionate enough to order a complete memory purge,” Owl replied.

RFC, editorial comment. The word "pricipal," bolded above, should be "principle."
Post by Rod   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:48 pm

Rod
Lieutenant Commander

Keith_w wrote:
Rod wrote:You know, I always under the impression that Merlin would be the only one who could give OWL a command. Like “Order a complete memory purge” Merlin being the first copy of Niume. Guess I was wrong!

I think that's what it says.

Damm! You're Right
Post by Fiannawolf   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Fiannawolf
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

OWL is one of my favorites. I'm pretty much going to be on a Weber Binge until X-mas with all the catching up I am doing.
Post by Randomiser   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:40 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Great little scene; OWL really is turning into a person.
Post by Keith_w   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:37 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Rod wrote: quote="Keith_w" quote="Rod" You know, I always under the impression that Merlin would be the only one who could give OWL a command. Like “Order a complete memory purge” Merlin being the first copy of Niume. Guess I was wrong!/quote

I think that's what it says. /quote

Damm! You're Right

happens occasionally. unfortunately not often enough for my ego. :(
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by McGuiness   » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:18 am

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:“Now there, Owl, I’m afraid you may have a point,” Nahrmahn admitted. “Of course, I may be just a bit prejudiced, since I was never so foolish as to decide to die for a principal.”
I never had a principal at any of the schools I attended who I'd consider dying for... :lol:

I might die for some of my principles though.

"It's not the school that's at fault, it's the principle of the thing..." was always one of my favorite puns. ;)

Obviously dictation software has some difficulty with homonyms. Glad I didn't choose to be an editor for my career!

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.

Return to Safehold