Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Maps for At the Sign of Triumph

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: (STICKY) Maps for At the Sign of Triumph
Post by DMcCunney   » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:44 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

Darcwar wrote:I agree! I've been wanting to see the KHs in active since they started building them. I would really like to see Cayleb get back into the action, so I hope he will be on the KH VII when it enters Gorath Bay.

Not if Sharleyan has anything to say about it, not to mention how enthusiastically Merlin would discourage the idea.

Much as it galls him, Cayleb is Emperor of Charis, and the place he has to be is in Siddar City, in daily touch with his ally Lord Protector Stohnar. (Come to think of it, Stohnar would raise strong objections to Cayleb going along on that ride. Cayleb has no more business doing so than he would have going along with one of his generals when the Army of Siddermark takes the field against the AOG. Stohnar rose to regimental command in the Siddermark Army before entering politics, and you can assume he'd love to be personally leading part of the assault, but he is Lord Protector of Siddermark, and he knows his place is at HQ in Siddar City.)

I'm afraid Cayleb will have to settle for observing via SNARC.
_______
Dennis
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:23 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

DMcCunney wrote:
Darcwar wrote:I agree! I've been wanting to see the KHs in active since they started building them. I would really like to see Cayleb get back into the action, so I hope he will be on the KH VII when it enters Gorath Bay.

Not if Sharleyan has anything to say about it, not to mention how enthusiastically Merlin would discourage the idea.

Much as it galls him, Cayleb is Emperor of Charis, and the place he has to be is in Siddar City, in daily touch with his ally Lord Protector Stohnar. (Come to think of it, Stohnar would raise strong objections to Cayleb going along on that ride. Cayleb has no more business doing so than he would have going along with one of his generals when the Army of Siddermark takes the field against the AOG. Stohnar rose to regimental command in the Siddermark Army before entering politics, and you can assume he'd love to be personally leading part of the assault, but he is Lord Protector of Siddermark, and he knows his place is at HQ in Siddar City.)

_______
Dennis

When/if it enters Temple Bay - now, that's a different matter! :D
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:50 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Randomiser wrote:I agree! I've been wanting to see the KHs in active since they started building them. I would really like to see Cayleb get back into the action, so I hope he will be on the KH VII when it enters Gorath Bay.
DMcCunney wrote:Not if Sharleyan has anything to say about it, not to mention how enthusiastically Merlin would discourage the idea.

_______
Dennis
Darcwar wrote:

Actually since there may well be serious negotiation to be done to get Dohlar out of the war, he may well be allowed to go to Gorath Bay (after it has been subdued, so he won't be sailing in on the lead ship, but he may well get to go to Gorath.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by DMcCunney   » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:00 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

darcwar wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:Much as it galls him, Cayleb is Emperor of Charis, and the place he has to be is in Siddar City, in daily touch with his ally Lord Protector Stohnar. (Come to think of it, Stohnar would raise strong objections to Cayleb going along on that ride. Cayleb has no more business doing so than he would have going along with one of his generals when the Army of Siddermark takes the field against the AOG. Stohnar rose to regimental command in the Siddermark Army before entering politics, and you can assume he'd love to be personally leading part of the assault, but he is Lord Protector of Siddermark, and he knows his place is at HQ in Siddar City.)

We can assume Cayleb will at least get to go to Zion to watch Zhaspar Clyntahn hang. So will Sharleyan, and I didn't think anyone in the EoC will object to both being absent from the dual capitals of the empire at once. They'll be representing everyone in the Empire, and you can assume packed houses in Tellesberg and Cheryath cathedrals when they get back and recount it in detail to their people. :P

(And come to think of it, since beheading is also a traditional form of execution on Safehold, given what Siddarmark suffered in the Sword of Schueler, it might be quite appropriate for Lord Protector Stohnar to use the sword passed down from the first Lord Protector to separate Clyntahn's head from his body instead of hanging him.)

fallsfromtrees wrote:Actually since there may well be serious negotiation to be done to get Dohlar out of the war, he may well be allowed to go to Gorath Bay (after it has been subdued, so he won't be sailing in on the lead ship, but he may well get to go to Gorath.
Possible. If getting Dohlor out of the Jihad and on the sidelines involves a formal treaty between Cayleb and whoever replaces Rahnyld, Cayleb might get away to do the signing. (And since Rahynyld's head is likely to be a non-negotiable demand on the part of Charis in any peace settlement, I'm sure Cayleb will want to be there to observe Rahnyld's demise on behalf of the ICN.)
_______
Dennis
Post by EdThomas   » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:36 am

EdThomas
Captain of the List

What I've found on the maps...

Dohlar – Shows a lot of location information sw of where the Sheridan canal swings south and between the Switch canal. Possible indicator of a lot of acivity
Nothing around Silkiah, as Lyonheart's previously noted. Also no blocking positions shown on the canal. Not much around Dairnyth either.

Gorath. A lot of geographic information that should add a dimension to the celeryeater's words. There appear to be battery locations shown around the bay side of the Boot and on some of the harbor islands. My contrarian side keeps whispering to me that the Battle of Gorath Bay will not be as onesided as some KHVII fans seem to expect. We haven't heard much from Thirsk's Skunkworks which is a little unsettling.

Saram Bay. Whatever transpires here, we'll be able to follow easily. One interesting thing is the number of defensive batteries in the entrances to the inner harbor. I wonder if the Arsenal is shown cuz it's gonna make a very large BOOM.

For the North. A lot geographic info but nothing on MH or BGV's dispositions. It does show what appear to be Kaitswyrth's positions outside Aivynnstan and there is a series of lines across the Seridahn Canal that could be the defensive positions Rychter put up

Temple lands Perhaps the richest of the five. Shows MH dispositions along eastern edge. Some locks on the Bedard are identified. Numerous brown markings at the western end of the Seridahn. Could be military positions or possibly some of the places identified on the Dohlar map. Rychter's defensive positions on the Seridahn are shown as well.

I'm puzzled why the MH positions shown on the Temple map aren't on the North map. They're in the Princedom of Sardahn which is on both maps. My guess is that the North map was created before the MH positions were put down on the Temple map.

Anyone notice anything else?

I'm using Picasa 3 to view the maps. Tried Irfanview and that worked fine too.
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:14 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Been re-reading HFQ. The new maps make it so much easier to make sense of the action! HFQ has quite a lot of detail on the Northern MH's positions as of September 897.

The Temple Lands map, has half a green circle in pen with an arrow pointing up into the Reklair Gap. Looks like a movement order?

Given the maps of Saram and Gorath Bays, is this the book where we see the end of the Dohlaran navy?
Post by Alistair   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:58 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

Looking at Gorath Bay have you seen the red dots around the key entrances they are actually on the water what do they represent?

Barriers?
floating batteries?
Mines? (unlikely)
Post by EdThomas   » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:49 pm

EdThomas
Captain of the List

Alistair wrote:Looking at Gorath Bay have you seen the red dots around the key entrances they are actually on the water what do they represent?

Barriers?
floating batteries?
Mines? (unlikely)

Oh I do hope you're wrong about that third item! We could have a lot of disappointed KHVII fans if you are. :(
Post by McGuiness   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:57 am

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

EdThomas wrote:
Alistair wrote:Looking at Gorath Bay have you seen the red dots around the key entrances they are actually on the water what do they represent?

Barriers?
floating batteries?
Mines? (unlikely)
Oh I do hope you're wrong about that third item! We could have a lot of disappointed KH VII fans if you are. :(
Unfortunately, according to the textev, Thirsk's wizard has at least one nasty surprise that we haven't heard about yet, and it isn't spar torpedoes! So mines are the #1 guess on my list, especially since they could blow the bottoms out of the ironclads - unless the Cities have substantial armor on their undersides, which the original river ironclads didn't. In fact they had none.

Mines are a much greater threat to the wooden galleons that still make up the bulk of the ICN, so a well-defended harbor with swarms of minefields would be a nightmare! :?

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:21 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Not that it would necessarily be a protection against mines, but aren't the KH VIIs and Cities all steel construction rather than armour over wood? It is so long since the details were discussed here I've just forgotten.

Return to Safehold