Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests

Maps for At the Sign of Triumph

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: (STICKY) New Maps Available
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:04 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

XofDallas wrote:On the more serious side, mine zooms in all the way or is all the way out at the 100 mile view. I don't have problems with pixelating, though, so I'm not sure what it would be for you. The main thing is, we have new maps! Thank you, RFC!!!

Our glasses are much more than half full!

Ahhh - I think I have found the solution. It depends upon what program I view the graphics with with. If I use the Windows Photogallery app [default when I double click on the file], then the details just aren't there.

If I use a true graphics program then I see the detail... :-)

Can I ask what programs people use to view these large jpgs, for ease of zooming/panning I had gotten used to the imperium viewer...
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:07 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:Can I ask what programs people use to view these large jpgs, for ease of zooming/panning I had gotten used to the imperium viewer...

I use Irfanview for almost all of my image needs. It's an image management program rather than a image editing program, although it does a fair job at most editing tasks.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:16 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:Can I ask what programs people use to view these large jpgs, for ease of zooming/panning I had gotten used to the imperium viewer...

I use Irfanview for almost all of my image needs. It's an image management program rather than a image editing program, although it does a fair job at most editing tasks.

Ah - thanks - I've got Irfanview already, but havn't used it much - you are right... that's much better. Thanks.
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:50 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

A very big thank you to RFC for these interesting maps, delivered much earlier than he suggested.

What nice detailed maps of Gorath, Dohlar and the Temple Lands. Always good to have clues as to where the action is going to be. :D

Saram Bay is the base of the RDN's Western Squadron - nice detailed map of it too!

Gorath Bay looks hard to get into but relatively easy to blockade. (Partly depends on the size of the various channels of course, which I haven't quite worked out yet.)
Post by DMcCunney   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:29 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

I'm fascinated by the Temple Land maps. Lots of Episcopates. Most of them are the Episcopate of St. <Someone>. But some merely have a name with no St. prefix, like Bedard, Pasquale, or Schueler, who are known Archangels. Several of those non-Saint names are entirely unfamiliar, which would appear to be Archangels not yet mentioned. I wonder if they'll turn out to be significant.
______
Dennis
Post by Braudel26   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:45 am

Braudel26
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Randomiser wrote:
What nice detailed maps of Gorath, Dohlar and the Temple Lands. Always good to have clues as to where the action is going to be. :D

Saram Bay is the base of the RDN's Western Squadron - nice detailed map of it too!

Gorath Bay looks hard to get into but relatively easy to blockade. (Partly depends on the size of the various channels of course, which I haven't quite worked out yet.)

1) Saram Bay is probably going to be the scene of a lot of things after the ICN took Shyan Island in HFQ September 897 ch IV and blockaded the Bay after that (alluded to in ch V and VIII of same month)
2) The Dohlar map is detailed in the east of Dohlar
3) Gorath Bay map is apart,
One could deduce (?) from 2 and 3 that the land war is going to stay bogged down in the swamps and the action in ATST in Gorath is going to be sea action.
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:41 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi guys,

Only the first two worked for me the rest disappeared when I tried to take a closer look.

Suggestions very welcome!

Thanks very much, Duckk!

Of course the areas not covered imply no action there, which surprises me since I thought the Silkiah Canal [among other places] would finally be taken.

L

*quote="XofDallas"*
isaac_newton wrote:
XofDallas wrote:lol, I'm happy with anything I get!

I note a detailed map of Saram Bay. That area has never figured in any of my strategic thinking before, and I'm not aware of any other posts that have ever factored that location in.

Hmmm.... wonder what it means...! :twisted:

It is super detailed - you can zoom in to this one and see marked areas like 'warehouse district', 'dockyard', 'arsenal' in the town of Rhaigair... :-)
Clearly something's gonna to happen there.

However, on some of the bigger maps, I can hardly zoom in at all before it pixelates and blurs out.. do you find that?
It's as though the progressive rendering wont progress.. :-(

You have been visited in the night by Glitch, God of Foulups!*quote*
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:33 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Only the first two worked for me the rest disappeared when I tried to take a closer look.

Suggestions very welcome!

Right-click; Save Image As; open image with Irfanview or an image editor. For some reason, zooming in with a browser causes the images to disappear at least for a few seconds.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by McGuiness   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:14 pm

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

Woohoo! A close-up map of Gorath Bay!!! The ICN will finally come calling in AtSoT! PeterZ and I have been salivating for this day for three books now. (And grousing when one delay after another prevented the cleansing of the Gulf of Dohlar and King Ronald getting what he so richly deserves...) :twisted:

It appears that RFC won't need to explain to either of us ever again why our demands on the available hulls of the ICN are a bit "excessive at the moment" whenever we scream for Ronald's head.

Of course this probably means that the book will end with the KH VIIs sailing into Gorath Bay, where Thirsk and the RDN, with a bevy of screw galleys, spar torpedoes, naval mines, and other nasty surprises await them. You'll probably all be able to hear me scream if the Battle of Gorath is delayed until the next book... :x

Nah, AtSoT is about forcing Dohlar out of the war... uh, right? :?

Since RFC's favorite comment lately seems to be " :twisted: :twisted: " I'm not feeling the urge to climb out too far on any limbs...

RFC, thanks a million Temple marks for the updated maps, :lol: and for the tantalizing hints they offer of what we may expect (or at least conjecture about) in AtSoT.

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.
Re: (STICKY) Maps for At the Sign of Triumph
Post by Darcwar   » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:33 pm

Darcwar
Ensign

I agree! I've been wanting to see the KHs in active since they started building them. I would really like to see Cayleb get back into the action, so I hope he will be on the KH VII when it enters Gorath Bay.

Return to Safehold