Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

A Totally different out of order snippet

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: A Totally different out of order snippet
Post by Joat42   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:20 am

Joat42
Admiral

Rob the Fiend wrote:Give him a "Extreme Makeover: Nanite edition" , slim him down to 70-80kg, and then send him back.

"I'm telling you, kretin, I AM Clyntahn...." :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Tsk tsk, just remove his ability to taste and smell.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by bigrunt   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:46 am

bigrunt
Lieutenant Commander

Could Clyntahn's capture be what is freaking out Rayno? Rayno knows he is not senior enough to take over, If Clynthan is gone then what happenes to the inquisition? The remaining Vicar's are going to want a weaker hand there to end the reign of terror they have been feeling.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:47 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

RFC's is indeed crookeder that a dog's hind legs.

If Merlin and Nimue have captured his grand corpulence, they will not release him. Not yet anyway.

Rayno will be forced to deal both with Helm Cleaver and the G3. I suspect he will first reach out to Trynair, but has to coordinate with Magwair and Duchairn eventually. Meanwhile, Trynair gets busy using his access to the Grand Vicar to line up sufficient Vicars to appoint a new Grand Inquisitor or re-organize the office of the Inquisition.

On second thought, they may not fill the position at all, at least not immediately. The full power of the Inquisition rests in the office of the Grand Inquisitor. If a replacement is not confirmed, then the authority to provide the dispensations and many other exceptions necessary to fully prosecute the jihad disappears. So long as there is no proof of Clyntahn's death, it may mean that the Vicarage may choose not recognize the need to replace Clyntahn.

In such a circumstance, the Inquisition under Rayno may be just another administrative branch of the CoGA and subject to the G3 or simply the Grand Vicar jihad or no jihad.

Absent Clyntahn the jihad stalls as the jihadis angle for any sort of advantage. They will want to be smart in minimizing their exposure to the new Allied tech and offset as much of those advantages as they can. As Magwair laments two books ago, he wants time to rebuild the Loyalist economies to better support the sort of war this jihad has become.

Duchairn has to feel the same sorts of pressure in addition to any moral imperative to castrate the Inquisition's brutality. If Clyntahn's disappearance results in just that, Duchairn may fee justified in reaching out to settle the dispute diplomatically.

As I have suspected for several books now, it appears that we are headed to a Cold War period.
Post by PlaysWithBees   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:53 am

PlaysWithBees
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Two things people.

First off look at the title of the post. "A totally different out of order snippet". That means this could have nothing to do with earlier snippets.

Secondly, you do realize this may actually be the very ending of the book... In the tradition of the past two nasty cliffhangers. :twisted: :twisted:

Seriously, though, the reason why they didn't just kill Clyntahn may simply be that for him, some fates truly are worse than death...
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:58 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

PlaysWithBees wrote:Two things people.

First off look at the title of the post. "A totally different out of order snippet". That means this could have nothing to do with earlier snippets.

Secondly, you do realize this may actually be the very ending of the book... In the tradition of the past two nasty cliffhangers. :twisted: :twisted:

Seriously, though, the reason why they didn't just kill Clyntahn may simply be that for him, some fates truly are worse than death...

Or the necessities of the Inner Circle's goals demand that Clyntahn survive for some reason.

Btw, Totally Different does NOT mean totally unrelated. Be careful of the famous RFC parsing.
Last edited by PeterZ on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by BobG   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:59 am

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

Undercover Fat Kid wrote:
A NEAT wouldn't work because he doesn't have the nano implants.

Oh, how bad I needs this book.....<sobs quietly>
Maybe, just maybe, they pulled a Nahrman, and used a headset plus nanites to suck Clyntahn's memories into a VR space (killing him in the process), and are using a VR module to interrogate him. I would think that without safeguards, a VR module - if you didn't know you were in one - would be a very nasty thing indeed.

Nah, probably not. But maybe...

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:35 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

This had better not turn out to be a dream ... :evil:

RFC is obviously demob happy and even more addicted than usual to watching the thrashing in the water.

'Demons' is probably a fairly generic term given Clyntahn's presumed state of mind. In fact, we don't know who is present or who is speaking, it could be Nimue, Nynian or even Sharleyan. They have 'come' sc to wherever Clyntahn is; he hasn't been brought to them. They offer to enable him to meet the archangels, plural. (But not in the widely anticipated fashion since they are not going to harm him, as Merlin reassured him at some earlier point)

Nope, this one has me gobsmacked (as the saying is). I can't imagine circumstances in which Merlin could meet up with Clyntahn and not arrange the Grand Inqusitor's prompt death, in fulfilment of his earlier vow. He won't have recorded Clyntahn without his consent as that was highly illegal in the TF and would be contrary to Merlin's ethics, Nahrman notwithstanding.)
Post by evilauthor   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:40 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

I'm of the opinion that this has to be at the end or near the end of the book. The Allies (or even just the "Seijinns") capturing Clyntahn just screams "War's over!" to me.
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:50 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Randomiser wrote:This had better not turn out to be a dream ... :evil:

RFC is obviously demob happy and even more addicted than usual to watching the thrashing in the water.

'Demons' is probably a fairly generic term given Clyntahn's presumed state of mind. In fact, we don't know who is present or who is speaking, it could be Nimue, Nynian or even Sharleyan. They have 'come' sc to wherever Clyntahn is; he hasn't been brought to them. They offer to enable him to meet the archangels, plural. (But not in the widely anticipated fashion since they are not going to harm him, as Merlin reassured him at some earlier point)

Nope, this one has me gobsmacked (as the saying is). I can't imagine circumstances in which Merlin could meet up with Clyntahn and not arrange the Grand Inqusitor's prompt death, in fulfilment of his earlier vow. He won't have recorded Clyntahn without his consent as that was highly illegal in the TF and would be contrary to Merlin's ethics, Nahrman notwithstanding.)

:twisted: :twisted:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Undercover Fat Kid   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:57 pm

Undercover Fat Kid
Commander

I really love RFC's writing, but to be honest, the fact that he takes the time to interact with we, his loyal readers, is what makes him my favorite author.

The fact that he enjoys watching the water roil as we shred any tantalizing little bits he offers us, just takes him to the next level, imho.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he could dump the entire book onto the forums without seriously impacting sales. The readership he inspires would want to see him get his royalties, and contribute to those royalties as partial recompense for the endless entertainment

So, much though I'm sure RFC tires of endless approbation, thank you, again, good sir.
Death is as a feather,
Duty is as a mountain
This life is a dream
From which we all
Must wake

Return to Safehold