Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

A Totally different out of order snippet

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: A Totally different out of order snippet
Post by lyonheart   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:22 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Wow!

Given how important those 11 words are to explaining or putting this delicious snippet in context, I propose a contest here or on a separate thread to suggest what those 11 words might be.

Granted the odds of our guessing correctly are poor, but collectively we might come close, given the various puzzle solvers in our midst.

So to all, Good Luck!

L
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Joat42   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:35 am

Joat42
Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Wow!

Given how important those 11 words are to explaining or putting this delicious snippet in context, I propose a contest here or on a separate thread to suggest what those 11 words might be.

Granted the odds of our guessing correctly are poor, but collectively we might come close, given the various puzzle solvers in our midst.

So to all, Good Luck!

L

"Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far faar away!" :lol:

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:58 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

evilauthor wrote:
Randomiser wrote: :lol: Shortest reply post ever. :lol:

?

OK evilauthor, that's shorter, you win!

(I posted 3 or 4 paragraphs of comments upthread and RFC replied with just 2 'twisted' faces. that's what I was laughing at.)
Post by Kakai   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:23 am

Kakai
Commander

lyonheart wrote:Wow!

So to all, Good Luck!

L

Hm... Let me make a guess that will be quickly proven wrong.

“Stay back!” he snapped, hoping to reach the Temple's gates before the demons caught him.

“We have no intention of harming you in any way, Your Grace,” she told him.
-----------
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt,
Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

- Ciaphas Cain
Post by Frankjg   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:25 am

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

When I read this, my jaw dropped. Om My! Oh My! Cannot wait to read the book to see how this all turns out.
Post by colfaxstation   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:46 pm

colfaxstation
Ensign

Maybe some type of holographic com device gets 'delivered' to Clyntahn and Merlin and Nimue introduce him to the truth.
Post by dan92677   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:12 pm

dan92677
Commander

Given Clyntahn's personality, the best punishment would be to put him in a cell with each wall a full sized screen of different SNARC feeds.
Post by Peter2   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:46 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Was it only yesterday that this snippet came out? I seem to have been back 6 or 8 times already . . . :shock:
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:49 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

I had a thought on something evil to do to him:

Prolong his life by some means, show him his world being dismantled and remade into what it should be. Let him see what the history books think of him.
Post by Hildum   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:21 pm

Hildum
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:Demons!” Clyntahn whispered hoarsely, raising his scepter between them. “Demons! Creatures of hell!

“Hell, Your Grace?” She laughed, and the sound was cold and cruel. “You don’t know the meaning of the word . . . yet.”

“Stay back!” he snapped.

“We have no intention of harming you in any way, Your Grace,” she told him. “None. As Merlin said, we’ve only come to enlighten you. You’ve talked a lot about your special relationship with Schueller and the archangels, so we thought you might like to meet them.”

Why do I suspect these are the last few paragraphs of the book, leaving us with a cliffhanger for a year…?

After a couple of minutes of reflection. If they are that close, why not kill him? Unless they can't. So, this might proceed the snippet where Rayno is freaking out, since he thought the Temple was safe. My suggestion:

Clyntahn's office is in the old part of the Temple, with the full capabilities of any office of the Terran Federation, including holographic communications. What if Merlin and company found a way to call Clyntahn in his office?

If they found a way to get the Key unlocked or, more likely, there was something in the journal that gave them the proper access codes, then they might have been able to gain access to Temple communications in a manner that would not trigger unpleasant consequences. Perhaps they found Seijin Kody's communicator somewhere?

Edit: well, not at his office, as the other snippet was at the prison. Still, would have been cool!

Return to Safehold