Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

A Totally different out of order snippet

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: A Totally different out of order snippet
Post by WeberFan   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:01 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Henry Brown wrote:
Dilandu wrote:Hm. Just a though - how could we know WHO is talking with Clyntahn?

What if she's NOT Nimue?

What if she's someone else PICA's?

What if she's actually the Archangel? After all, if Archangels returned, they have quite a lot of reasons to be displeased by Clyntahn actions... De-facto it was him. who made situation hardly salvageable.

Well, the snippet includes the phrase "as Merlin said." So either the she in question 1. just played a recording/hologram of Merlin or 2. Merlin is present. Either way, I doubt there are Archangels involved.

Could just as easily be Ninian - especially now that she's dialed-in to everything. I think the likelihood of the Fist of Kau Yung getting personnel into the Temple (perhaps through Temple Guard contacts?? - lot of previous speculation about this possibility) is pretty high.
Post by WeberFan   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:08 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Undercover Fat Kid wrote:I really love RFC's writing, but to be honest, the fact that he takes the time to interact with we, his loyal readers, is what makes him my favorite author.

The fact that he enjoys watching the water roil as we shred any tantalizing little bits he offers us, just takes him to the next level, imho.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he could dump the entire book onto the forums without seriously impacting sales. The readership he inspires would want to see him get his royalties, and contribute to those royalties as partial recompense for the endless entertainment

So, much though I'm sure RFC tires of endless approbation, thank you, again, good sir.

I'm with you on that!

Read through this thread pretty quickly tonight. While I love the speculation, I don't want to offer any right now.

Instead, I'd just like to say - thank you David! You obviously heard our pleas for snippets, and after a long dry period have yielded up to us the glorious nectar of your storytelling. To say I'm thrilled would be an understatement. I'm reading, digesting, and contemplating all of your full-length snippets and your mini-snippets as well as the speculations and analysis by others. Just being able to do that has breathed new life into me. :D
Post by Peter2   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:04 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:
Randomiser wrote:This had better not turn out to be a dream ... :evil:

RFC is obviously demob happy and even more addicted than usual to watching the thrashing in the water.

'Demons' is probably a fairly generic term given Clyntahn's presumed state of mind. In fact, we don't know who is present or who is speaking, it could be Nimue, Nynian or even Sharleyan. They have 'come' sc to wherever Clyntahn is; he hasn't been brought to them. They offer to enable him to meet the archangels, plural. (But not in the widely anticipated fashion since they are not going to harm him, as Merlin reassured him at some earlier point)

Nope, this one has me gobsmacked (as the saying is). I can't imagine circumstances in which Merlin could meet up with Clyntahn and not arrange the Grand Inqusitor's prompt death, in fulfilment of his earlier vow. He won't have recorded Clyntahn without his consent as that was highly illegal in the TF and would be contrary to Merlin's ethics, Nahrman notwithstanding.)

:twisted: :twisted:

????????????????? . . . :shock: :shock: :shock:

Help!
Post by thanatos   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:31 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

evilauthor wrote:I'm of the opinion that this has to be at the end or near the end of the book. The Allies (or even just the "Seijinns") capturing Clyntahn just screams "War's over!" to me.

Well, we've more-or-less known that the all out war is coming to an end since LAMA, when the allies manage to get enough troops unto the mainland to launch all out offensive operations and manage to unambiguously defeat the Desnarian Army in the field. Given that the time periods each book cover kept getting shorter (from over 2 years in OAR to 6-7 months in the more recent installations) the only question was whether it would take one book or two. So it would seem that this book will end this first war. Remember HH9 (Ashes of Victory), that book saw the end of the First Havenite War and ended with Theisman successfully launching a coup against Saint-Just and permanently removing him from power. It's possible RFC will do the same here or that the Inner Circle somehow manage to seize Clyntahn. That may well connect to Aivah's request from Merlin, to get her to Zion within a day for her to do something unspecified.

Incidentally, I have always argued that for Clyntahn, death is too good a fate. My late grandfather said the same thing about Adolf Eichmann when the Israelis managed to get their hands on him, put him on trial and sentence him to death. For Clyntahn, becoming impotent - politically, religiously and physically - would be a fate worse than death. So I am dying to see how he handles being helpless.
Post by Kufat   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:41 pm

Kufat
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Nimue assured Iryis that a PICA's head can't explode. RFC's now doing research into whether a reader's head can explode.
Post by Henry Brown   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:42 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

I have thought it over some more. The only way I can think of that the "we are not here to harm you" comment makes any sense is if they plan to put him on trial for crimes against humanity or something along those lines.
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:23 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

RFC wrote: :twisted: :twisted:

:lol: Shortest reply post ever. :lol:
Post by Bluestrike2   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:54 pm

Bluestrike2
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Henry Brown wrote:I have thought it over some more. The only way I can think of that the "we are not here to harm you" comment makes any sense is if they plan to put him on trial for crimes against humanity or something along those lines.

The problem is that they've already told Clyntahn the truth. Since the only justification for Clyntahn's butchery is that God demands it according to the Book of Schueler, he'd use it to say he was right all along in an effort to escape with his neck intact.

Whatever the Inner Circle plans to do with Clyntahn, he's never going to get the chance to go out in public ever again.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:24 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

I may be reaching but does the Grand Inquisitor position come with a scepter?

I seem to remember that the Grand Vicar carries a scepter so at the time of this meeting is Clyntahn the Grand Vicar?

runsforcelery wrote:Okay, I'm gonna toss this out and then snatch my hand back from the shark tank. I will say only that I snipped 11 words out of the text (not saying where), just to hide the serial numbers and, well . . . :twisted:

“Hell, Your Grace?” She laughed, and the sound was cold and cruel. “You don’t know the meaning of the word . . . yet.”

“Stay back!” he snapped.

“We have no intention of harming you in any way, Your Grace,” she told him. “None. As Merlin said, we’ve only come to enlighten you. You’ve talked a lot about your special relationship with Schueller and the archangels, so we thought you might like to meet them.”
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Joat42   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:31 pm

Joat42
Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:I may be reaching but does the Grand Inquisitor position come with a scepter?

I seem to remember that the Grand Vicar carries a scepter so at the time of this meeting is Clyntahn the Grand Vicar?

The scepter is the church official emblem, I imagine every vicar carries one with them - like a cross if you are a christian priest.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.

Return to Safehold