Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

A Totally different out of order snippet

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: A Totally different out of order snippet
Post by dan92677   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:51 pm

dan92677
Commander

RFC,

You have just topped yourself in nasty, crazy, and, I'm totally sure, misleading snippets!!!!!!!!!

When I get my tree version, I'm going to the last chapter and read it first, something I have never allowed myself to do!!!

Supurb!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan Jones (a reader from your beginning)

Obviously, your omissions/deletions/alterations won't have any effect at all on this snippet, will it? I know that it will!!!
Post by evilauthor   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:57 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Randomiser wrote: :lol: Shortest reply post ever. :lol:

?
Post by DennisLee   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:45 pm

DennisLee
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Just to stir the pot a little: :twisted: one meaning of totally out of order would be if the snippet came from the book following At the Sign of Triumph :o
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:11 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

OUCH! I forgot about that. :oops:

Joat42 wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:I may be reaching but does the Grand Inquisitor position come with a scepter?

I seem to remember that the Grand Vicar carries a scepter so at the time of this meeting is Clyntahn the Grand Vicar?

The scepter is the church official emblem, I imagine every vicar carries one with them - like a cross if you are a christian priest.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by OJsDad   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:22 pm

OJsDad
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote: “We have no intention of harming you in any way, Your Grace,” she told him. “None. As Merlin said, we’ve only come to enlighten you. You’ve talked a lot about your special relationship with Schueller and the archangels, so we thought you might like to meet them.”

I would say this is probably either Nimue or Merlin speaking. They don't seem intent on killing him, but perhaps giving him the truth of who the archangels were, especially Schuler and Chirio. Perpahs the device the Patyr Wylsynn has with the recordings has been activated.
Post by Peter2   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

OJsDad wrote:
runsforcelery wrote: “We have no intention of harming you in any way, Your Grace,” she told him. “None. As Merlin said, we’ve only come to enlighten you. You’ve talked a lot about your special relationship with Schueller and the archangels, so we thought you might like to meet them.”

I would say this is probably either Nimue or Merlin speaking. They don't seem intent on killing him, but perhaps giving him the truth of who the archangels were, especially Schuler and Chirio. Perpahs the device the Patyr Wylsynn has with the recordings has been activated.

Yes, that's what I thought. Also, I think (and hope) that the reason they're not killing him is that what's about to happen to him will hurt him even more.
Post by OJsDad   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:00 pm

OJsDad
Lieutenant Commander

Peter2 wrote:
OJsDad wrote:I would say this is probably either Nimue or Merlin speaking. They don't seem intent on killing him, but perhaps giving him the truth of who the archangels were, especially Schuler and Chirio. Perpahs the device the Patyr Wylsynn has with the recordings has been activated.

Yes, that's what I thought. Also, I think (and hope) that the reason they're not killing him is that what's about to happen to him will hurt him even more.

I always suspected that they may not kill him. That making him live with the truth and being held in prison the rest of his life may be worse for someone like him.
Last edited by OJsDad on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Henry Brown   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:34 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Peter2 wrote:Yes, that's what I thought. Also, I think (and hope) that the reason they're not killing him is that what's about to happen to him will hurt him even more.

I suspect they are keeping him alive so they can try him for his crimes. I could see both political and moral advantages in giving him a public trial rather than executing him outright. Besides, any fair trial of Clyntahn will still end in his eventual execution.
Post by Stormy   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:56 pm

Stormy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Really, I've always thought that one downfall of creating such a compellingly evil bad gut as Clinton is the fact that just about any death for him is going to feel like too little.

It's seemed to me that while killing him as quickly and cleanly as possible will stop him and on that basis alone, is reason enough to do it, still, for it to feel like justice to me, he needs to have the chance to know just how wrong he actually was, before dying. That's somewhat illogical in a way, since it's not like he's going to learn anything or get some kind of redemption from it but he should have to chance to understand exactly why he totally deserves any sentence passed on him and not that he is simply a martyr. (Granted, given his malleable grasp on the facts and reality, it's possible that won't affect him either but I still feel he should be told the truth before being executed.)

In thinking about executing him at all, I'm of two minds. On the one hand, given the numbers of people he has tortured and killed, not killing him seems like an injustice. On the other hand, I can't think of any method of execution that the good guys are likely to allow themselves to sink to, that would feel like it wasn't too quick. So I've thought for awhile that striping him of all power and physical pleasures for the rest of his life, forced to see everything he stood for being overturned, while he is helpless, might be the best result of all.
Post by dan92677   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:13 pm

dan92677
Commander

Leaving him with Nahrman(sp?) for awhile and watching him work might be a start...

Return to Safehold