Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

ATST Snippet #4

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: ATST Snippet #4
Post by Louis R   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:22 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Exactly.

But, if Clyntahn hadn't made it clear that the changes had his acceptance, if not exactly his blessing, the cycle would have continued. Probably right into the campaign season, in fact, which would have been interesting. As it was, the bureaucrats at the Ministry of War [or whatever Harchong calls it] were left with little choice but to find a commander who met Magwair's requirements. I'll bet the debate on that one was just as interesting ;)

DMcCunney wrote:
Louis R wrote:There's also the fact that Clyntahn did finally grasp the nettle and accept that an _effective_ MH was desirable. And the lesson of Harless & Co. is blatant enough that even Zhaspahr could absorb it. Which is why Harchong only got to go through 4 [or was it 5?] candidates before settling on the current incumbent.
IIRC, the first two MHoG commanders resigned in protest over what Duchairn and Magwair expected of them, and the third was removed in disgrace for a level of incompetence and corruption even the IHA wouldn't tolerate. The fourth resigned over interference in how he ran his command by advisers assigned by Duchairn and Magwair, but it's likely the same sort of unhappiness about upsetting the natural order of things that motivated the first two was an underlying factor.

Rainbow Waters has his own concerns there, but is smart enough to recognize why the MHoG had to be dramatically overhauled to have any hope of facing the EoC in the field.

The Harchongese regular army was actually an effective force, but wasn't large enough. It's the swelling of the ranks by arming peasants and serfs to provide millions to send against the allies that causes various nobles concern. "Just how do we disarm them again and send them back home to servitude after we win?" is a question the smarter ones must be pondering.
_______
Dennis
Post by wkernochan   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:53 pm

wkernochan
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

At this point, re arming the serfs, I am hoping that DW will include a marvelous Jefferson Davis American Civil War quote. When a state governor protested at his plan to take state militia and use them away from the state in a national army, since it apparently ran counter to the Confederacy's belief in "state's rights", he exploded (more or less), "If this nation falls, there should be writ on its tombstone, 'Died Of A Theory'."
Post by DMcCunney   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:09 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

Louis R wrote:Exactly.

But, if Clyntahn hadn't made it clear that the changes had his acceptance, if not exactly his blessing, the cycle would have continued. Probably right into the campaign season, in fact, which would have been interesting. As it was, the bureaucrats at the Ministry of War [or whatever Harchong calls it] were left with little choice but to find a commander who met Magwair's requirements. I'll bet the debate on that one was just as interesting ;)
The challenge for the bureaucrats was likely finding a noble of sufficient seniority to qualify for the position who wouldn't flatly refuse to go anywhere near it when it was clear what would be required of him. :P

Rainbow Waters is an interesting fellow. I suspect he'll have a good deal to do with whatever North Harchong becomes down the road. What happens to the MHoG when the Church loses the Jihad and sues for peace? They certainly won't be staying in Siddarmark, and will need to be repatriated. They are unlikely to meekly submit to oppression again, and enough guns will find their way back home with them to let them firmly make that point to various great nobles who haven't figured out the world is a very different place than it used to be.

(I suspect South Harchong will simply secede and become a separate entity, but that's purely a guess.)
______
Dennis
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

peke wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:
The Harchongese regular army was actually an effective force, but wasn't large enough. It's the swelling of the ranks by arming peasants and serfs to provide millions to send against the allies that causes various nobles concern. "Just how do we disarm them again and send them back home to servitude after we win?" is a question the smarter ones must be pondering.

Rayno is certainly considering it: he's a Harchongese noble and is dismayed at the thought of well-armed, well-seasoned veteran serfs returning home with their guns and knowledge. There's even some textev that he's quietly undermining the war effort by dragging his heels when it comes to turning the Host into an effective fighting force.

Certainly no-one intends to send them home armed, not MW, not Rayno and not the Inquisition. The IHA regular army and the Emperor's Spears (Military Police) will be in charge of 'File past the table and hand your rifle in to the Armourer, before you get onto the barge' on a platoon by platoon basis when it is time to go home. I think they will be ferocious enough about it to get almost all of the weapons. The problem , of course is, 'You can take the boy out of the Army, but can you take the Army out of the boy?'
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:42 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Randomiser wrote:Certainly no-one intends to send them home armed, not MW, not Rayno and not the Inquisition. The IHA regular army and the Emperor's Spears (Military Police) will be in charge of 'File past the table and hand your rifle in to the Armourer, before you get onto the barge' on a platoon by platoon basis when it is time to go home. I think they will be ferocious enough about it to get almost all of the weapons. The problem , of course is, 'You can take the boy out of the Army, but can you take the Army out of the boy?'

I think Charis would be more than willing to accept their parole and provide transportation home -- with weapons. :twisted:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Safehold