Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests

Another out of order snippet

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Another out of order snippet
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:12 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Randomiser wrote:How about some constructive fun? You know that absolutely impervious clear battle steel floor they have in the Temple? Suppose they did some Dialydd Mab as usual but put the message up in big letters in the entrance hall sealed behind some of that. It makes the facility unusable because the Temple boys can't take the message down and everyone who sees it knows that kind of stuff can only be done by the archangels. Cue panic and heart attacks. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

(I was going to suggest the bodies were left sealed into such a shiny new floor but that's too :twisted: even for me!)

Nasty. I love it!
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by dobriennm   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:42 pm

dobriennm
Commander

Duckk wrote:I think the last bit is the most salient part. Rayno isn't just panicking - he's freaking out. Simply chopping everyone up into bits, blowing up a bomb, or unleashing a disease wouldn't cause this. All of those are understandable to some degree to Safehold, even though the exact methodology might not be known. But whatever this is appears to be completely outside their experience - a classic case of the Outside Context Problem.

Okay, as others have said Duckk really nailed the important part - Rayno isn't just panicking - he's freaking out

So, some sort of knockout gas, nanites to knock people out, basically render everyone unconscious. Then land an air lorry or assault shuttle, spirit EVERYONE! away. Leaving no blood or explosions or mayhem behind.

That would freak out anyone. Safehold doesn't seem to have ghost stories (or at least not revealed to by the author). Knowing this has to involve sejins/demons, it reveals a capability never shown before on Safehold.

So no mayhem, dead bodies, explosions, just a mysteriously empty prison and NO non-divine explanations possible.
Post by dobriennm   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:48 pm

dobriennm
Commander

dobriennm wrote:So no mayhem, dead bodies, explosions, just a mysteriously empty prison and NO non-divine explanations possible.

As a follow-on, The Author did mention that the Inquisition had facilities that were not in Zion. So maybe this is a more isolated facility that makes this kind of attack possible.
Post by dobriennm   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:58 pm

dobriennm
Commander

dobriennm wrote:
dobriennm wrote:So no mayhem, dead bodies, explosions, just a mysteriously empty prison and NO non-divine explanations possible.

As a follow-on, The Author did mention that the Inquisition had facilities that were not in Zion. So maybe this is a more isolated facility that makes this kind of attack possible.

So I rechecked and the Author said the Inquisition had facilities in Zion not in the Temple or attached to the Temple Annex.

Still, maybe isolated enough to bring in a stealthed lorry and remove bodies and unconscious prisoners.
Post by Henry Brown   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:37 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Duckk wrote:Thinking about this some, one possibility is that they unleashed a thermobaric weapon. The effects on a human are quite nasty and would be quite terrifying to the Inquisition, yet low tech enough that it wouldn't alert the OBS. It's an ideal use of the weapon, given its effect in the enclosed spaces of a prison. Also, it would go with the previous snippet where Nimue is advocating unleashing some of their own Rakurai.

I don't think that would cause this kind of panic. First, a church full of high ranked clergy already got blown up in Zion in HFQ. They didn't panic then. Sure, a thermobaric weapon is a more powerful and impressive looking than a regular bomb, but it is a matter of intensity. So even if a bomb more powerful than anything he'd ever seen went off, I don't think it would cause this kind of reaction. Second, he said it was something different from anything in the Inquisitions's secret files. Presumably they would have records of the kind of weapons used in the War of the Fallen. So I don't it is a thermobaric weapon.
Post by dwmdw45   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:50 pm

dwmdw45
Ensign

I'm with those who think it's something constructive. For example, a beautiful mural of a Charisian martyr (one caught by the Inquisition perhaps?) etched into the very stone of the cathedral walls.

I don't think a destructive event like a bombing would cause Rayno to BSOD this way.
Post by Jaato   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:06 pm

Jaato
Midshipman

I'm going to say that they called down the Rakuri itself on the target, probably by using some prohibited technology. There wouldn't be any record of that in Rayno's sources because the Rakuri was never called down by Shan-Wei's allies.
Post by Henry Brown   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:24 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

dwmdw45 wrote:I'm with those who think it's something constructive. For example, a beautiful mural of a Charisian martyr (one caught by the Inquisition perhaps?) etched into the very stone of the cathedral walls.

I don't think a destructive event like a bombing would cause Rayno to BSOD this way.

What does BSOD stand for? I don't recognize the acronym.
Post by DMcCunney   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:47 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

Henry Brown wrote:
dwmdw45 wrote:I don't think a destructive event like a bombing would cause Rayno to BSOD this way.

What does BSOD stand for? I don't recognize the acronym.

Blue Screen Of Death

It's a reference to the screen you get in Windows when a catastrophic failure occurs and the system must be rebooted.

(BSODs are generally hardware and driver related. Video card drivers are highly fertile sources of them.)
_______
Dennis
Post by Henry Brown   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:52 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

DMcCunney wrote:
Henry Brown wrote:What does BSOD stand for? I don't recognize the acronym.

Blue Screen Of Death

It's a reference to the screen you get in Windows when a catastrophic failure occurs and the system must be rebooted.

(BSODs are generally hardware and driver related. Video card drivers are highly fertile sources of them.)
_______
Dennis

Ah. Thanks.

Return to Safehold