Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

ATST Snippet #3

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: ATST Snippet #3
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:52 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

All I can say is: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

dobriennm wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:
.III.
Lake City
and
Camp Mahrtyn Taisyn,
Traytown,
Tarikah Province,
Republic of Siddarmark.

“It would appear all is in readiness,” Captain of Horse Medyng Hwojahn, Baron of Wind Song, remarked. His breath rose in a cloud of steam as he gazed through the tripod-mounted spyglass at the formidable lines of snow-shrouded fortifications. They stretched as far as he could see, even with the spyglass, and he straightened and turned to the tall — very tall, for a Harchongian — officer at his right shoulder. “Whenever seems best to you, Lord of Foot Zhyngbau.”

So are the Harchongise planning a little winter offensive of their own? Or at least some raiding with their Sling-grenadiers leading the way? It's November, so things should be shutting down but it sounds like they're ready for some offensive action.

Any other suggestions?

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Joat42   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:16 am

Joat42
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:All I can say is: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You do enjoy this far to much... ;)

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Kakai   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:28 am

Kakai
Commander

Thank you for the snippet, RFC!

runsforcelery wrote:All I can say is: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes! ;)
-----------
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt,
Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

- Ciaphas Cain
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:57 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

A Captain of Horse outranks a Lord of Foot? Could we have an idiot's guide to Harchongian Army ranks? I just can't get my head around them.

Haven't checked HFQ but presumably this is the detached advance party of the Mighty Host that were sent ahead to harry Baron Green Valley et al and prevent him from advancing any further or getting too settled. Wasn't it about 30,000 troops?
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:20 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

dobriennm wrote:
So are the Harchongise planning a little winter offensive of their own? Or at least some raiding with their Sling-grenadiers leading the way? It's November, so things should be shutting down but it sounds like they're ready for some offensive action.

Any other suggestions?

Yeah, the MH are conducting training to defend against Green Valley's winter mobile troops. Lake City is where they are headquartered. Operations there would be by definition training. I suspect we will see some of the MHoG's tactics for defense.
Post by WeberFan   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:22 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Randomiser wrote:A Captain of Horse outranks a Lord of Foot? Could we have an idiot's guide to Harchongian Army ranks? I just can't get my head around them.

Haven't checked HFQ but presumably this is the detached advance party of the Mighty Host that were sent ahead to harry Baron Green Valley et al and prevent him from advancing any further or getting too settled. Wasn't it about 30,000 troops?

IIRC 50K
Post by dobriennm   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:28 pm

dobriennm
Commander

dobriennm wrote:

Any other suggestions?

That's not a suggestion, that's merciless twitting :lol: (but you're the author, so watching your readers go down the rabbit hole is fun) (to be fair, if I could write, I'd find it fun, too)

So a training exercise or blooding the troops is a possibility, Or possibly taking over the Inquisition's camp and ending the slaughterhouse (this one's wild speculation!)?
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:21 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Amazingly long snippet 7000+ words! Wow!

I kept expecting the demon Murphai to show up in the section on Fleet Wing. After all it only takes one lucky shot to cause complications. they did get one of their water tanks holed, I suppose that shouldn't be a problem. And we got a tactical dump on the situation in the Eastern Gulf, and a technology dump on small ship guns plus a reminder Hector and Darcos have SNARC access.
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:02 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
dobriennm wrote:

Any other suggestions?

Yeah, the MH are conducting training to defend against Green Valley's winter mobile troops. Lake City is where they are headquartered. Operations there would be by definition training. I suspect we will see some of the MHoG's tactics for defense.

Or maybe they are practicing how to attack fortifications in winter. I think we, and BGV via SNARC, are about to see some of the Host's offensive tactics.

Brain has now kicked in a little with some research. The section starts in Lake City and Hwojahn is passing out orders because he is Earl Rainbow Waters Chief of Staff. Which may also mean that the whole on the Northern Mighty Host have got up to Lake City .

Presumably action will move on to Camp Martin Taisyn, which must be a Charisian Camp since it is named after the Marine Brigadier KIA in MT&T
Post by Cartref   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:49 pm

Cartref
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Can't wait for its release....

Return to Safehold