Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Oops! THIS out of order snippet was SUPPOSED to come next

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Oops! THIS out of order snippet was SUPPOSED to come nex
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:23 am

Dilandu
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
Kakai wrote:Oh, so they actually do intend to go through with Nimue's idea! This is just getting better and better... 8-)

Sure, but no rakurai. Simple physical and maybe chemical mayhem.

Biological, perhaps? :) Pre-programmed viruses, or something?
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Joat42   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:28 am

Joat42
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
Kakai wrote:Oh, so they actually do intend to go through with Nimue's idea! This is just getting better and better... 8-)

PeterZ wrote:Sure, but no rakurai. Simple physical and maybe chemical mayhem.

Biological, perhaps? :) Pre-programmed viruses, or something?

Not really Merlins style, but I can see him giving the inquisitors and guards a severe case of the trotts before attacking the prison.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:56 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Joat42 wrote:Not really Merlins style, but I can see him giving the inquisitors and guards a severe case of the trotts before attacking the prison.

Well, the general advantage of bioweapon is that it's low-tech, and basically undetectable for even most high-tech distant sensors.

Post by Kakai   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:28 am

Kakai
Commander

PeterZ wrote:Sure, but no rakurai. Simple physical and maybe chemical mayhem.

My first thought was more something along the lines of Mab moving a bit closer to the Temple and bringing his brand of mayhem with him. A bioweapon, though... I don't think we've seen that on Safehold before. Certainly could happen, though.
-----------
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt,
Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

- Ciaphas Cain
Post by Duckk   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:39 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Merlin is not interested in letting that genie out of the bottle. It's entirely possible that any bioweapon he uses would end up spreading beyond the prison and into Zion - and from there, the rest of the mainland.

And of more immediate concern, it's unlikely that a) Merlin even has anything he could weaponize into a bioweapon, and b) that it would take effect fast enough to both end the suffering of the captive(s) and prevent him/her/them from spilling the beans before they died.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:55 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Duckk wrote:Merlin is not interested in letting that genie out of the bottle. It's entirely possible that any bioweapon he uses would end up spreading beyond the prison and into Zion - and from there, the rest of the mainland.

Oh please, we are talking about futuristic bioweapon used against primitive peoples.

And of more immediate concern, it's unlikely that a) Merlin even has anything he could weaponize into a bioweapon, and b) that it would take effect fast enough to both end the suffering of the captive(s) and prevent him/her/them from spilling the beans before they died.

Under the cover of localized epidemy, quite a lot of possibilities could be created to act.

Post by Duckk   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Oh please, we are talking about futuristic bioweapon used against primitive peoples.

Even supposing I went along with that ridiculous assertion (which is most certainly not true of Safehold), then that just further proves my point. Said "primative peoples" aren't going to be able to effectively combat a disease which has been weaponized beyond their ability to understand its pathology.

Under the cover of localized epidemy, quite a lot of possibilities could be created to act.

Well, that detailed and comprehensive description of how you somehow plan to give a germ targeting orders sure convinced me!
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Direwolf18   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:10 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

I'm sorry if this comes out harshly, but the idea that RFC would ever in a million years have the good guys use a bioweapon is at best nonsensical. He has made it clear in several of his other works that the use of such weapons is at best a case of stupidity (usually terminal) brought about by immense arrogance, ranging down to self destructive diabolical mustache twirling evil. Having the bad guys use such a weapon is totaly in the cards, in fact I fully expect to see it pop up again in the Honor Harrington universe. Or more to the case self replicating weapon it's nano tech. But similar enough from a moral standpoint.

Same goes for chemical weapons. He gives himself cover on this one with Grimaldi's plagues. I know certain people on this forums had the "bright" idea of using chemical weapons in Siddamark. RFC chimed in with not only no, but a hell no.

That being said I for one am totaly in favor of what I refer to the Terekhov solution to this problem. Something Nimue has hit upon herself.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:36 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Direwolf18 wrote:I'm sorry if this comes out harshly, but the idea that RFC would ever in a million years have the good guys use a bioweapon is at best nonsensical. He has made it clear in several of his other works that the use of such weapons is at best a case of stupidity (usually terminal) brought about by immense arrogance, ranging down to self destructive diabolical mustache twirling evil. Having the bad guys use such a weapon is totaly in the cards, in fact I fully expect to see it pop up again in the Honor Harrington universe. Or more to the case self replicating weapon it's nano tech. But similar enough from a moral standpoint.

Well, usually RFC allowed the good guys to mantain such technological superiority (in almost all cases) that they are simply never forced to fight ACTUAL was of attrition. And so they are spared of actual moral question about "wattacking the civilians". When they haven't got technological superiority... well, the Gbaba destroyed TF)

But I was talking not about the actual pandemy with the goal of disabling the Church manpower pool (which would probably kill not much more peoples than the current actions, thought), but the use of bioweapon to provide cover for some special operations.

I.e. let's hit the Inquisition headquater (where the prisoners are located) with something local&dangerous, pre-programmed to limited number of generations. The localised epidemic started. The pasqualites immediatedly would declare quarantine and close the facility. Now we could either kill the prisoners painlessly (the epidemic would provide cover), or we could start a resque operation, while the whole situation is thrown out of usual way.
Last edited by Dilandu on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by PeterZ   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:46 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Direwolf18 wrote:I'm sorry if this comes out harshly, but the idea that RFC would ever in a million years have the good guys use a bioweapon is at best nonsensical. He has made it clear in several of his other works that the use of such weapons is at best a case of stupidity (usually terminal) brought about by immense arrogance, ranging down to self destructive diabolical mustache twirling evil. Having the bad guys use such a weapon is totaly in the cards, in fact I fully expect to see it pop up again in the Honor Harrington universe. Or more to the case self replicating weapon it's nano tech. But similar enough from a moral standpoint.

Same goes for chemical weapons. He gives himself cover on this one with Grimaldi's plagues. I know certain people on this forums had the "bright" idea of using chemical weapons in Siddamark. RFC chimed in with not only no, but a hell no.

That being said I for one am totaly in favor of what I refer to the Terekhov solution to this problem. Something Nimue has hit upon herself.

Since my post is linked to chemical weapons, I would clarify. I refer to chemical explosives, not chemical weapons of mass destructions like nerve gas.

Return to Safehold