Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 28 guests

Oops! THIS out of order snippet was SUPPOSED to come next

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Oops! THIS out of order snippet was SUPPOSED to come nex
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:55 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
Since my post is linked to chemical weapons, I would clarify. I refer to chemical explosives, not chemical weapons of mass destructions like nerve gas.

The chemical weapon represent the ideological problem: it would be pretty hard to explain the opposite side that there is nothing demonic in mustard gas. Nerve gases represent the same problem: if some Safeholdian witness their use, they would start to scratch their heads pretty hard "what could it be", and the "demonic intervention" would be the first answer.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:58 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
PeterZ wrote:
Since my post is linked to chemical weapons, I would clarify. I refer to chemical explosives, not chemical weapons of mass destructions like nerve gas.

The chemical weapon represent the ideological problem: it would be pretty hard to explain the opposite side that there is nothing demonic in mustard gas. Nerve gases represent the same problem: if some Safeholdian witness their use, they would start to scratch their heads pretty hard "what could it be", and the "demonic intervention" would be the first answer.

Totally agree, Dilandu. Yet, it appears that many posters went there. I just wanted my disclaimer on record.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:03 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
Totally agree, Dilandu. Yet, it appears that many posters went there. I just wanted my disclaimer on record.

Well, I suppose because it could be produced even in Safeholdian conditions and could be really effective against Church armies. The mustard gas could be produced without direct use of electricity, and against non-chemical-proof armies it could be just devastating - not so killing, as disabling with nasty chemical burns. Just don't drop it too near to civilians.

But... the effects of mustard gas would be REALLY hard to explain to general Church loyalists without kind of "demonic intervention". And this must be avoided as long as possible.

P.S. But it's probably be wise for Charis to start experimenting with chemical weaponry. Just in case.

Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:07 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

PeterZ wrote:
Dilandu wrote:

I see your point, and I am NOT saying that any form of gas was used in this instance , either. Trust me. I would, however, point out that in many ways, the inner circle realizes that it is entering the -- or at least an -- endgame phase. And I suppose I should also point out that there are other targets than physical ones. Now, as to what that might mean . . . .

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:12 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

I see your point, and I am NOT saying that any form of gas was used in this instance , either. Trust me. I would, however, point out that in many ways, the inner circle realizes that it is entering the -- or at least an -- endgame phase. And I suppose I should also point out that there are other targets than physical ones. Now, as to what that might mean . . . .

Hm, so the problem of "must not be considered demonic by the other side" may soon be eliminated... ;)

Interesting.

Post by PeterZ   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:17 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:I see your point, and I am NOT saying that any form of gas was used in this instance , either. Trust me. I would, however, point out that in many ways, the inner circle realizes that it is entering the -- or at least an -- endgame phase. And I suppose I should also point out that there are other targets than physical ones. Now, as to what that might mean . . . .

Clear as mud as usual. ;-)

I suspect that many of us are trying to decipher just what that does mean.

So, playing the fool, I shall begin.
We are going to see the MHoGatA establish firm lines where they stand. Clynthan gets whacked after the seijin successfully attack the Inquisition stronghold. I posit that Rayno is instrumental in the deed. Duchairn and Magwaire take the reigns and negotiate what amounts to a cold war to end this phase.

Btw, did you have Ryne Sandberg in mind for Rayno's name? If so, what did you have against the Cubbie second baseman.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:19 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:I suspect that many of us are trying to decipher just what that does mean.

So, playing the fool, I shall begin.
We are going to see the MHoGatA establish firm lines where they stand. Clynthan gets whacked after the seijin successfully attack the Inquisition stronghold. I posit that Rayno is instrumental in the deed. Duchairn and Magwaire take the reigns and negotiate what amounts to a cold war to end this phase.

Btw, did you have Ryne Sandberg in mind for Rayno's name? If so, what did you have against the Cubbie second baseman.

Don't forget the Archangels.

Post by Direwolf18   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:20 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Understood PeterZ that is what I figured. I just know the topic of mustard gas or it's like was brought up as a "Good Idea" at one point. And quashed rather handedly by RFC. I was applying the same sort of logic to Bioweapons.

The idea of localized bio weapons was tried in the honorverse during earths final war. It ended up damn near wiping out life on earth. In the Heirs to the Empire trilogy they didn't even intentionally use their bioweapon. Someone just had an "Oops" moment. And trillions upon trillions of people died.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:25 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Direwolf18 wrote:
The idea of localized bio weapons was tried in the honorverse during earths final war. It ended up damn near wiping out life on earth. In the Heirs to the Empire trilogy they didn't even intentionally use their bioweapon. Someone just had an "Oops" moment. And trillions upon trillions of people died.

The Honorverse is a bit different scenario. There the bioweapon was used against the enemy, supplied with modern medicine - i'e' the viruses were MUCH harder to control, just because their targets were pretty well "hardened" and viruses required quite a lot of adapting ability to be effective.

In Safehold case, the bioweapon would be used against totally "soft", unprotected targets, with basically no ability to resist. I.e. we would not need for the virus to be too capable of adapting and resisting. Basically because no medicine resistance is supposed to be used.

Bioweapon isn't some sort of dark magic that Absolutely Could Not Be Controlled. It's pretty nasty thing, and it's really hard to control if the enemy is defended by modern medicine. But against enemy that have no scientific-based medicine - no even germ theory - the controlled virus is much simpler.

Post by RazorBat   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:38 pm

RazorBat
Midshipman

However all of you are forgetting that Merlin and the alliance will eventually come clean at some point after the power of Mother Church is broken and separated into independent church groups. Then there will be the Enlightenment (full history of mankind and the Gaba) to Safehold at some point after that. So again there will be nothing that smacks of greater powers for the general population to reexam after the fact. Currently the envelope of human acceptance has been constantly expanded and accepted as the church follows in developing tech, but things completely outside the current expanded experience will be very problematic. I'd should make this more concise, but I don't have time right now. Sorry for typos.

Return to Safehold