Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

And following along with out of order snippets . . . . .

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: And following along with out of order snippets . . . . .
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:17 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
Actually, I am out of the office at the moment and replying from my Kindle. Which is a pain in the butt. So I'm afraid that once I get back to home base, I am back to slaving away in the salt mines. :cry:

Good Grief! You've turned in this book and you've turned in that book (not two days ago) and you still need to get back to the salt mines?!? I really like getting the new books but please take care of yourself too.
Post by jtg452   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:57 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

WeberFan wrote:So here's what I glean from the way out of order snippets when I start stitching them together:
- Through some means, the Inquisition learns about Mistress Marzho and arrests her, taking her to the Inquisition prison. Perhaps others too.
- Merlin and Nimue learn of this, and learn that Mistress Marzho is being subjected to The Question at the prison.
- Nimue gets really torqued off and voices her "God's own Rakurai" statement.
- On further reflection, the Inner Circle comes up with what may be a better plan, which is then implemented (Merlin and Nimue probably play some key role, lots of mayhem ensues, the physical building in which the prisoners are being kept remains standing).
- The Inquisition discovers that all their personnel at the facility have been torn apart - beheaded, body parts and gore all over the place - basically hellfire, brimstone, and a whole bunch of "Old Testament" stuff. The term "Troy-Bilt chipper-shredder" comes to mind here. :twisted: The Inquisition, being naturally outgoing, open, and completely honest with the Council of Vicars, tells everyone what has happened (you DO know that I'm shoveling BS with that statement, right?? :roll: ). Of course the rumors leak out, and Brother Lynkyn is dispatched to uncover the real truth. :shock:

I'm dying to find out what Brother Lynkyn discovers, and I'm even more curious to find out what Magwair and Duchairn say or do about it... Why do I have it in my head that there are messages of retribution scrawled on the walls in inquisitor blood... "Repent now... God's own Seijin are coming for YOU!"

I gotta agree with Weberfan. The MO of the players in question lead me to think that Merlin and Nimue, most likely in the personas of other Seijins such as the revered Mab, staged a mission to the prison in question and did an Old Testament version of a Veg-o-matic ("It slices, it dices, it even purees!") on any poor, benighted Inquisitor that may happen to be even remotely close to their way.

And if they didn't, at least it sounded good. :mrgreen:
Post by OrlandoNative   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:59 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Randomiser wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:
Actually, I am out of the office at the moment and replying from my Kindle. Which is a pain in the butt. So I'm afraid that once I get back to home base, I am back to slaving away in the salt mines. :cry:

Good Grief! You've turned in this book and you've turned in that book (not two days ago) and you still need to get back to the salt mines?!? I really like getting the new books but please take care of yourself too.

I'd second that. I suspect one of the reasons things have gotten off schedule in the first place - and the health issues surfaced - is from overwork.

That said, if the only source of income is from authoring, it's sort of hard to not want to do more. One would think that that would be where residuals/royalties from prior books would come in, though. There are always newbie readers, which, unless the contracts with the publishers aren't favorable, should at least somewhat replenish the coffers.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by SCC   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:22 pm

SCC
Commander

WeberFan wrote:I'm dying to find out what Brother Lynkyn discovers, and I'm even more curious to find out what Magwair and Duchairn say or do about it... Why do I have it in my head that there are messages of retribution scrawled on the walls in inquisitor blood... "Repent now... God's own Seijin are coming for YOU!"

Brother Lynkyn isn't going to be the one sent to find out what the Inquisition is doing, in fact the entire idea of sending him off on an errand is to protect him from the Inquisition, which is rather the opposite finding out things the Inquisition doesn't want people to know.

And something like a jail brake is more likely then all the staff of a facility massacred, the later is just too high profile for it to be missed
Post by ericth   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:56 pm

ericth
Commander

runsforcelery wrote:
You have, have you? (He asked innocently.) :lol:

I believe it's time for speculation about dual use frigates and Dragon (instead of Treecat) marines :-)
Post by DMcCunney   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:39 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

Randomiser wrote:Also since when did Maigwair share his private sources of information on the Inquisition with Duchairn? That's a lot more co-operation not to mention trust than we have seen before.

They've been growing steadily closer for several books.

Duchairn thinks Clyntahn is leading Mother Church to ruin and taking Safehold with it. Magwair thinks Clyntahn is leading the Jihad to ruin, and both have already bluntly told Clyntahn Mother Church could lose the Jihad. Clyntahn still assumes God and the Archangels will come to the rescue, and meanwhile, Zion is firmly under the Inquisition's thumb, and Clyntahn has already directly threatened them if they don't toe his line.

You can just bet they are talking to each other. Trynair is too terrified of Clyntahn to make a peep, and is effectively no longer a factor. It's Clyntahn against Duchairn and Magwair, and they want to live through it. They have the best incentive in the world to share information.
_______
Dennis
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:28 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Trynair has been quiet, hasn't he? This is the same man who bearded Clyntahn in the beast's own den over the Ferahd massacre. The same man known for a sharp intelligence and shrewed political acumen. THIS man is now below the reader's radar. That means in all likelyhood he is also below Clyntahn's radar too.

My spider-sense tingled onto Rayno after the last series re-read. Your comments sent a similar tingle about Trynair. He is the perfect coordinator to off Clyntahn. Working with both Rayno and Duchairn our good Chancellor is very well placed indeed to blindside Clyntahn.

So, Rayno connects with Helm Cleaver and Trynair. Trynair coordinates with Duchairn. Duchairn coordinates with Major Phandys who organizes the pro Hawerd Wylsyn arm of the guard. Duchairn also coordinates with Magwair. Clyntahn is so focussed on Duchairn, Magwair and the jihad that Trynair has some room to maneuver with Rayno and the Vicars.

Duchairn delivers the popular support of Zion. Magwair delivers the Army. Rayno keeps the Inquisition under control. Trynair gathers the Council of Vicars under wing to bring legitimacy to the transfer of power.

Let's see if my spider-sense is accurate.
DMcCunney wrote:
Randomiser wrote:Also since when did Maigwair share his private sources of information on the Inquisition with Duchairn? That's a lot more co-operation not to mention trust than we have seen before.

Duchairn thinks Clyntahn is leading Mother Church to ruin and taking Safehold with it. Magwair thinks Clyntahn is leading the Jihad to ruin, and both have already bluntly told Clyntahn Mother Church could lose the Jihad. Clyntahn still assumes God and the Archangels will come to the rescue, and meanwhile, Zion is firmly under the Inquisition's thumb, and Clyntahn has already directly threatened them if they don't toe his line.

You can just bet they are talking to each other. Trynair is too terrified of Clyntahn to make a peep, and is effectively no longer a factor. It's Clyntahn against Duchairn and Magwair, and they want to live through it. They have the best incentive in the world to share information.
_______
Dennis
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:58 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

PeterZ wrote:Trynair has been quiet, hasn't he? This is the same man who bearded Clyntahn in the beast's own den over the Ferahd massacre. The same man known for a sharp intelligence and shrewed political acumen. THIS man is now below the reader's radar. That means in all likelyhood he is also below Clyntahn's radar too.

My spider-sense tingled onto Rayno after the last series re-read. Your comments sent a similar tingle about Trynair. He is the perfect coordinator to off Clyntahn. Working with both Rayno and Duchairn our good Chancellor is very well placed indeed to blindside Clyntahn.

So, Rayno connects with Helm Cleaver and Trynair. Trynair coordinates with Duchairn. Duchairn coordinates with Major Phandys who organizes the pro Hawerd Wylsyn arm of the guard. Duchairn also coordinates with Magwair. Clyntahn is so focussed on Duchairn, Magwair and the jihad that Trynair has some room to maneuver with Rayno and the Vicars.

Duchairn delivers the popular support of Zion. Magwair delivers the Army. Rayno keeps the Inquisition under control. Trynair gathers the Council of Vicars under wing to bring legitimacy to the transfer of power.

Let's see if my spider-sense is accurate.
DMcCunney wrote:

_______
Dennis

DDT :twisted:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Alistair   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:05 am

Alistair
Rear Admiral

Hmm Not sure it will be the way you suggest Peter but I wouldn't be shocked if Trynair tries to makes a come back.

He might still have influence over the Grand Vicar which would be a wild card for him if push came to shove with the inquisition.
Post by SCC   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:42 am

SCC
Commander

PeterZ wrote:So, Rayno connects with Helm Cleaver and Trynair. Trynair coordinates with Duchairn. Duchairn coordinates with Major Phandys who organizes the pro Hawerd Wylsyn arm of the guard. Duchairn also coordinates with Magwair. Clyntahn is so focussed on Duchairn, Magwair and the jihad that Trynair has some room to maneuver with Rayno and the Vicars.

This is the bit I have real trouble with. I can see Rayno plotting with Trynair to bring down Clyntahn, but him being a part of Helm Clever? No way.

PeterZ wrote:Duchairn delivers the popular support of Zion. Magwair delivers the Army. Rayno keeps the Inquisition under control. Trynair gathers the Council of Vicars under wing to bring legitimacy to the transfer of power.

Could happen, but their not going to surrender peacefully the Charis and friends, the Inquisition and Rayno will still be a major power to contend with, and their not going to want to face Charisian nooses, heck the entire Go4 are likely in for the long drop.

Return to Safehold