Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

And following along with out of order snippets . . . . .

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
And following along with out of order snippets . . . . .
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:16 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

This one is from . . . some time later than the other two. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

“Brother Lynkyn’s about the farthest thing from an idiot you’re likely to meet, too,” Duchairn continued. “That means he’s staying as far away as possible from offering the Inquisition an excuse to ‘discipline’ him again . . . which isn’t all that easy, now that I think about it, given what he’s doing for the Jihad.” The treasurer’s lips twisted bitterly for a moment, then he shook himself and looked Maigwair in the eye. “Which brings me to why you’ve sent him off on an errand any one of his clerks could have discharged equally well. Should I assume it has something to do with St. Thyrmyn’s? Or, rather, with the obviously utterly baseless rumors about St. Thyrmyn’s which are currently swirling about the Temple’s rarefied heights?”

“You should, indeed,” Maigwair said grimly, and in a considerably lower voice. He twitched his head, inviting Duchairn to join him once again by the window . . . which happened to be the farthest point in the office from its door and whose frosty panes happened to let them see if anyone’s ear just happened to be pressed against them.

“Have you heard anything beyond rumors?” Duchairn asked, equally quietly, his shoulder less than two inches from his fellow vicar’s.

“No.” Maigwair shook his head. “But they’re so damnably persistent I’m positive there’s at least something to them. And Tobys agrees; he’s been making some very quiet inquiries of his own, and the very things his sources in the Inquisition aren’t telling him convinces him that something — something serious, Rhobair — went wrong at the prison.”

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: And following along with out of order snippets . . . . .
Post by ksandgren   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:31 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks again rfc! This does a little become more understood with the oops snippet.
Post by ka8wtk   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:48 pm

ka8wtk
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Oh, these out of order snippets. They seem to add up to something going on, but I feel I am being led down the garden path away from the celery! :D
Post by 6L6   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:50 pm

6L6
Commander

Cain't wait to learn more.
Post by dobriennm   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:20 am

dobriennm
Commander

runsforcelery wrote:
“Brother Lynkyn’s about the farthest thing from an idiot you’re likely to meet, too,” Duchairn continued. “That means he’s staying as far away as possible from offering the Inquisition an excuse to ‘discipline’ him again . . . which isn’t all that easy, now that I think about it, given what he’s doing for the Jihad.” The treasurer’s lips twisted bitterly for a moment, then he shook himself and looked Maigwair in the eye. “Which brings me to why you’ve sent him off on an errand any one of his clerks could have discharged equally well. Should I assume it has something to do with St. Thyrmyn’s?

I wonder if Merlin and Nimue got creative and instead of using the 2000lb bomb they got some of the Charisian rockets with dynamite to bombard the prison (or maybe some copies of Brother Lynkyn's rockets made by Owl). So now Brother Lynkyn is in trouble. Or maybe they used some of the bombs but surviving witnesses describe something that looks like a rocket bombardment.

Interesting times!
Post by Undercover Fat Kid   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:31 am

Undercover Fat Kid
Commander

Utterly delicious! This is why, during snippet season, I check the forums more item than Facebook or my news feed.

Well written as always, and as tantalizing as you intended, RFC.
Death is as a feather,
Duty is as a mountain
This life is a dream
From which we all
Must wake
Post by Kakai   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:24 am

Kakai
Commander

Thank you, RFC!

I feel like I'm getting piece after piece of some really fascinating puzzle... So what we have so far in those out-of-order snippets is a subplot where someone - either Nynian or her Zion agent - is captured and put to prison, Nimue goes mildly berserk over this and proposes radical action, Merlin agrees with her and they do find a way to do something spectacular, only for Inquisition to try and cover up the whole thing. Which apparently doesn't work out all that well. Something N&M did - or the possible Inquisition-related fallout - makes Magwair worried about Lynkyn's safety, which is why he sends him away.

The one thing that intrigues me is this:

runsforcelery wrote: “Brother Lynkyn’s about the farthest thing from an idiot you’re likely to meet, too,” Duchairn continued. “That means he’s staying as far away as possible from offering the Inquisition an excuse to ‘discipline’ him again . . . which isn’t all that easy, now that I think about it, given what he’s doing for the Jihad.”

He wasn't disciplined for anything in the last book, right? It seems like Clyntahn's growing restless.
-----------
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt,
Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

- Ciaphas Cain
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:36 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:This one is from . . . some time later than the other two. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Should I assume it has something to do with St. Thyrmyn’s? Or, rather, with the obviously utterly baseless rumors about St. Thyrmyn’s which are currently swirling about the Temple’s rarefied heights?”

<snip>
“No.” Maigwair shook his head. “But they’re so damnably persistent I’m positive there’s at least something to them. And Tobys agrees; he’s been making some very quiet inquiries of his own, and the very things his sources in the Inquisition aren’t telling him convinces him that something — something serious, Rhobair — went wrong at the prison.”

Well, if this has anything to do with the previous two OOO Snippets, they obviously didn't go with the Rakurai or a 2000 lb bomb. Either of those applied to a facility that could even remotely be described as being 'in Zion' would not have left these two trying to work our whether or not something had gone wrong there! Nor what it was.
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:47 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Kakai wrote:
He wasn't disciplined for anything in the last book, right? It seems like Clyntahn's growing restless.

Right, but he was disciplined for alleged breaches of the Proscriptions several times as a younger man, long before the action of the books, which is why Clyntahn has always been suspicious of him in his current position. AFAIK he was always able to show his ideas were within the Proscriptions, but he was marked down as being too smart for his own good.

I think Maigwair just sent Lynkyn off so he and Duchairn could have this discussion privately. Since, no doubt, something has 'gone wrong' at the prison, Clyntahn will be on the warpath again and everyone with a working brain will be stepping lightly just now.

Also since when did Maigwair share his private sources of information on the Inquisition with Duchairn? That's a lot more co-operation not to mention trust than we have seen before.
Post by Joat42   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:26 am

Joat42
Admiral

Maybe N&M used something new that Brother Lynkyn has invented to cause mayhem in the prison. That way they exact revenge on the inquisition and gets Lynkyn in to trouble. :twisted:

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.

Return to Safehold