Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests

ATST Snippet #2

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: ATST Snippet #2
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:37 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Oops!

I forgot to say:

Thanks for the snippet RFC!

I never expected another one so soon. :o

L
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Keith_w   » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:49 am

Keith_w
Commodore

If these are Charisian ships under Hector's command (or not) as has been suggested in earlier posts, I am surprised that the designation of Imperial Charisian ships has not been changed to H<is/er> Imperial Majesties Ship (HIMS) or Imperial Charisian Navy (ICN).
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by phillies   » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:24 am

phillies
Admiral

Keith_w wrote:If these are Charisian ships under Hector's command (or not) as has been suggested in earlier posts, I am surprised that the designation of Imperial Charisian ships has not been changed to H<is/er> Imperial Majesties Ship (HIMS) or Imperial Charisian Navy (ICN).

Their Imperial Majesties Ship TIMS

I seem to recall there is a complex feature of the UK Army and Navy naming, which someone else is free to look up.
Post by 6L6   » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:33 am

6L6
Commander

Maybe the nationality of the ships will be revealed with the next snippet.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:55 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

6L6 wrote:Maybe the nationality of the ships will be revealed with the next snippet.

We know Fleet Wing is Hektor's ship and we also know that no other navy has any ships that far East in the Gulf of Dohlar. Most of the remaining Harchong vessels are in Shwei Bay or the bay between Kyznetsov and Queiroz.

One suspects that Hektor is going trounce a Dolaran schooner. Had the Dohlaran ship been a brig, there would have been no doubt Hektor's schooner would have been faster. I wonder how this encounter will work itself out?
Post by Sharp Claw   » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:41 am

Sharp Claw
Lieutenant Commander

PeterZ wrote:
6L6 wrote:Maybe the nationality of the ships will be revealed with the next snippet.

We know Fleet Wing is Hektor's ship and we also know that no other navy has any ships that far East in the Gulf of Dohlar. Most of the remaining Harchong vessels are in Shwei Bay or the bay between Kyznetsov and Queiroz.

One suspects that Hektor is going trounce a Dolaran schooner. Had the Dohlaran ship been a brig, there would have been no doubt Hektor's schooner would have been faster. I wonder how this encounter will work itself out?

And I wonder if Thirsks family is on board?
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:32 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Sharp Claw wrote:
PeterZ wrote:

And I wonder if Thirsks family is on board?

I suspect Lieutenant Achlee and his CO are on Serpent. Since Serpent was listed first in the title, it follows that the chapter begins on Serpent. Hektor then is giving chase. If this is so, then I doubt Thirsk's family is on board. More likely that Hektor handed them off to a larger galleon for their continued passage to either Corisande or Tellesberg.
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:27 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi All,

I must have been sleepier than I thought.

Because I forgot to mention that a dragon wagon barely a third full, ie only 18-20,000 lbs would be only 4 cubic yards or 108 to 120 cubic feet; enough to fill several large pot holes, or a 6" layer of aggregate only 18 feet wide by 12-13&1/3 feet long.

if there were 12 per hour that could be up to 160 feet per hour, but I suspect at least 2 if not three, are needed for each nominal 12-13&1/3 feet section, for and an half improved road increase of at most ~1000' feet per day.

I also forgot to suggest they might increase the wagon load by adding an extra set of wagon wheels outboard of the current set to support increasing the load by 50-66%, which would help a lot, the main cost or obstacle being the increased turning circle required.

Given how torn up the high road seems to be, its quite possible General Rychtyr may have more drafted civilians tearing it up than Hanth has repairing it; until that changes, possibly by adding some of his infantry to the workforce, he's not going to get ahead of the problem.

Rychtyr was supposed to be reinforced by another 40-50,000 men in September according to HFQ, so Hanth is outnumbered from the numbers we have.

Rychtyr might counter attack, yet driving Hanth back 10-20+ miles, if that far in this muck, wouldn't really improve things from the Dohlar PoV strategically, though morale and propaganda might override that, although possibly reversing the supply situation is probably the last thing Rychtyr wants to do.

Who's going to be smart and go into winter quarters first?

L

*"lyonheart"*Hi KillerTomato,

Welcome! Please enjoy your favorite simulated beverage on the simulated forum. ;)

Actually the Germans broke the trenches with their storm troopers in their 1917-18 offensives, just using well trained infantry and superior tactics, tactics the ICA have copied courtesy of Green Valley, albeit without machine guns, yet.

Drainage, drainage, drainage, is the first rule of road building, IIRC.

The engineers might try to drain the swamp, if they can properly survey it to find or make proper drainage channels (there still may be pictures and a description of a tall @1920's drainage trench or canal digger [up to 2 mph] found in Florida, on the internet), or keep the rain off the road they're repairing with some big waterproof tarps perhaps from old tents, until the repaired road section can be properly waterproofed etc.

Of course a brigade of ICA dragoons swinging wide to harass the canal and Dohlaran high road 30-50 miles back would also help, though the supply requirements would be several times his current single forward infantry regiment.

Eastshare ought to be able to spare both, however.

Anybody else have some other helpful suggestions?

Hanth seems to trying to postpone halting for the winter, while it seems that decision had already been made by higher command, though they evidently want the pressure on Dohlar continued.

Of course Rychtyr might simply withdraw far enough ahead to go into winter quarters beyond the reach of Hanth until the mud freezes, a truce both sides tacitly agree to, even if that's not exactly how its explained to their higher commands . ;)

Clearly RFC has no plans for Hanth to bust his front wide open, so the early action we expect will be elsewhere.

Since Hector knows what the other ship intends, is he leading it on into a trap, or will we see how he fares on the sea as friends die around him?

Interesting times indeed.

L

KillerTomato wrote:
XofDallas wrote:Thanks, RFC!

Hmmm.... it does look like it's slowly grinding down to trench warfare.

Merlin and Cayleb, however, have access to the history books. I don't think they'll make the mistakes (or let Hanth make the same mistakes) the trench commanders of World War I made.

Now... exactly where is the Trosan Channel? My maps don't show it. I should know this, but...

The Problem I see, in going over to trench warfare is, that the tools which made trench warfare unimportant again are missing, like tanks, close air support and mot infantry.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by DMcCunney   » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:22 am

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:I suspect Lieutenant Achlee and his CO are on Serpent. Since Serpent was listed first in the title, it follows that the chapter begins on Serpent. Hektor then is giving chase. If this is so, then I doubt Thirsk's family is on board. More likely that Hektor handed them off to a larger galleon for their continued passage to either Corisande or Tellesberg.

Almost certainly. Getting Thirsk's family back to Tellesburg was the purpose of Hector's last mission, and you can assume he sailed directly back to Baron Sarmouth's squadron. It's not clear whether Sarmouth returned to Claw Island before dispatching a galleon to take them to Tellesburg, but I think it likely. Now that they're safe, there's no particular time pressure about getting them to Tellesburg, so a few days at Claw Island to relax before another lengthy sea voyage might be welcome. Earl Sharpset can add his agreement about the respect in which the ICN holds Earl Thirsk, and everyone's determination to behave honorably towards them and their father/grandfather.

And it's not like Hector might encounter a Dohlaran ship by surprise on his way back with Thirsk's family. He and Sir Duncan have the advantage of SNARCs, and knew exactly where the RDN was at the time.
_______
Dennis
Post by JRM   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:33 am

JRM
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

lyonheart wrote:Hi All,

I must have been sleepier than I thought.

Because I forgot to mention that a dragon wagon barely a third full, ie only 18-20,000 lbs would be only 4 cubic yards or 108 to 120 cubic feet; enough to fill several large pot holes, or a 6" layer of aggregate only 18 feet wide by 12-13&1/3 feet long.

if there were 12 per hour that could be up to 160 feet per hour, but I suspect at least 2 if not three, are needed for each nominal 12-13&1/3 feet section, for and an half improved road increase of at most ~1000' feet per day.

I also forgot to suggest they might increase the wagon load by adding an extra set of wagon wheels outboard of the current set to support increasing the load by 50-66%, which would help a lot, the main cost or obstacle being the increased turning circle required.

Given how torn up the high road seems to be, its quite possible General Rychtyr may have more drafted civilians tearing it up than Hanth has repairing it; until that changes, possibly by adding some of his infantry to the workforce, he's not going to get ahead of the problem.

Rychtyr was supposed to be reinforced by another 40-50,000 men in September according to HFQ, so Hanth is outnumbered from the numbers we have.

Rychtyr might counter attack, yet driving Hanth back 10-20+ miles, if that far in this muck, wouldn't really improve things from the Dohlar PoV strategically, though morale and propaganda might override that, although possibly reversing the supply situation is probably the last thing Rychtyr wants to do.

Who's going to be smart and go into winter quarters first?

L

Hi Lyonhart,

I think a better action would be corduroy roads.

Lieutenant Klymynt Hahrlys (designated "Bigfoot") gets stuck about five miles from the front. The freight wagons are carrying only a third of the 30 tons that a decent road would allow. If each wagon or articulated wagons brings 20 tons of green lumber 4"x12"x16' to the end of the decent road, it can drop off the beams and proceed with the 10 tons of supply that is currently getting through.

Each beam is laid perpendicular to the direction of the road on top of a couple of beams running in the direction of the road laid at approximately the width of the wagon wheels. Each perpendicular beam is bolted to the underlying beams. Soft ground would be an advantage as it would allow the beams to spread the load.

Twenty tons of green lumber beams would amount to 230 beams. That would mean that it would take 23 loads to cover a mile of road. As soon, as the corduroy road reaches the front, the transports can be returned to usual contents and weight.

James

Return to Safehold