Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

ATST Snippet #2

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: ATST Snippet #2
Post by Kakai   » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Kakai
Commander

It's another snippet! \o/ Thank you, RFC!

Seems like the weather's not exactly favourable for the allies... well, at least it seems like Hektor's going to have fun.
-----------
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt,
Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

- Ciaphas Cain
Post by KillerTomato   » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:28 pm

KillerTomato
Midshipman

XofDallas wrote:Thanks, RFC!

Hmmm.... it does look like it's slowly grinding down to trench warfare.

Merlin and Cayleb, however, have access to the history books. I don't think they'll make the mistakes (or let Hanth make the same mistakes) the trench commanders of World War I made.

Now... exactly where is the Trosan Channel? My maps don't show it. I should know this, but...

The Problem I see, in going over to trench warfare is, that the tools which made trench warfare unimportant again are missing, like tanks, close air support and mot infantry.
Post by Henry Brown   » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:20 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

PeterZ wrote:Oh, Joy! Hektor's first combat encounter as a commander.
I hope Irys doesn't jog his arm too much.

Sunday & Thursday snippets. I'll have to adjust my schedule.

Happy, happy joy!

Edit: Once a week snippets it appears. Better for comments.

Is it a combat encounter? The other ship listed is HMS Serpent. Which should be a friendly ship. They might be trying to outrun it for some reason. Competitiveness or something like that.
Post by Henry Brown   » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:32 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Merlin and Cayleb, however, have access to the history books. I don't think they'll make the mistakes (or let Hanth make the same mistakes) the trench commanders of World War I made.

Now... exactly where is the Trosan Channel? My maps don't show it. I should know this, but...

I'm not sure about the trench warfare analogy. It seemed to me that the mud and logistics were stopping Hanth more than anything else. But they are in the process of repairing the damaged high road, so that should simplify part of the problem. And the snippet alluded to matters improving once winter hits and the mud freezes hard. Furthermore, they haven't gotten their angle guns yet. If they get them and get the road fixed so they can bring supplies forward, Hanth might be able to resume the offensive.
Post by saber964   » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:35 pm

saber964
Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:

Happy, happy joy!

Is it a combat encounter? The other ship listed is HMS Serpent. Which should be a friendly ship. They might be trying to outrun it for some reason. Competitiveness or something like that.

Not necessarily, there are several nations that use the ship prefix like both Desnare and Dohlar.
Post by 6L6   » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:22 pm

6L6
Commander

will soon be needing those tanks.
Post by SYED   » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:15 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

The church will force harchong reinforcements onto the dohlar army.
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:23 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi KillerTomato,

Welcome! Please enjoy your favorite simulated beverage on the simulated forum. ;)

Actually the Germans broke the trenches with their storm troopers in their 1917-18 offensives, just using well trained infantry and superior tactics, tactics the ICA have copied courtesy of Green Valley, albeit without machine guns, yet.

Drainage, drainage, drainage, is the first rule of road building, IIRC.

The engineers might try to drain the swamp, if they can properly survey it to find or make proper drainage channels (there still may be pictures and a description of a tall @1920's drainage trench or canal digger [up to 2 mph] found in Florida, on the internet), or keep the rain off the road they're repairing with some big waterproof tarps perhaps from old tents, until the repaired road section can be properly waterproofed etc.

Of course a brigade of ICA dragoons swinging wide to harass the canal and Dohlaran high road 30-50 miles back would also help, though the supply requirements would be several times his current single forward infantry regiment.

Eastshare ought to be able to spare both, however.

Anybody else have some other helpful suggestions?

Hanth seems to trying to postpone halting for the winter, while it seems that decision had already been made by higher command, though they evidently want the pressure on Dohlar continued.

Of course Rychtyr might simply withdraw far enough ahead to go into winter quarters beyond the reach of Hanth until the mud freezes, a truce both sides tacitly agree to, even if that's not exactly how its explained to their higher commands . ;)

Clearly RFC has no plans for Hanth to bust his front wide open, so the early action we expect will be elsewhere.

Since Hector knows what the other ship intends, is he leading it on into a trap, or will we see how he fares on the sea as friends die around him?

Interesting times indeed.

L

KillerTomato wrote:

The Problem I see, in going over to trench warfare is, that the tools which made trench warfare unimportant again are missing, like tanks, close air support and mot infantry.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Joat42   » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:24 am

Joat42
Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:

Happy, happy joy!

Charis, Desnair and Dohlaran navies all use HMS for their ships so it could be any of them.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Peter2   » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:24 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

lyonheart wrote:
[snip]

Drainage, drainage, drainage, is the first rule of road building, IIRC.

The engineers might try to drain the swamp, if they can properly survey it to find or make proper drainage channels (there still may be pictures and a description of a tall @1920's drainage trench or canal digger [up to 2 mph] found in Florida, on the internet), or keep the rain off the road they're repairing with some big waterproof tarps perhaps from old tents, until the repaired road section can be properly waterproofed etc.

[snip]

You're absolutely right. During WW2, the British Army in Burma successfully made roads of compacted earth covered by waterproofed fabric – tarred canvas, I think. Meticulous inspection and immediate repair of all rips and tears was all that was required to preserve them through the rainy seasons. IIRC, the only things that you couldn't put along them were tanks (not common in Burma) and hobnailed boots.

Return to Safehold