Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

A waaaaay out of order snippet

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: A waaaaay out of order snippet
Post by SYED   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:08 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

Any chance the helm cleavers have all been injected with nanites, that have a kill switch, or cause death if their host body goes through trauma. Good way to ensure that the cell in Zion is never truly exposed.
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:51 am

Dilandu
Admiral

I can't believe it! The Inquisition are actually capable of doing their job? :) After... eight centuries or so, they finally were able to found actual heretics under their own nose)

It seems we underestimated Clyntahn: under his lead, the Inquisition clearly improved)
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Kakai   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:14 am

Kakai
Commander

Dilandu wrote:I can't believe it! The Inquisition are actually capable of doing their job? :) After... eight centuries or so, they finally were able to found actual heretics under their own nose)

It seems we underestimated Clyntahn: under his lead, the Inquisition clearly improved)

:lol: Your comment made my day.

Of course, this begs the question of just how exactly the Inquisition found out about Mistress Marzho (or whoever she is). Did their scare tactics acually work in their favour for once, or do they have agents in Zion that are (gasp!) actually capable of doing their job?
-----------
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt,
Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

- Ciaphas Cain
Post by chrisd   » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:26 am

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

McGuiness wrote: Actually, I want to see Clyntahn spitted on a stake as bad as anyone, so if RFC decides that a stab in the back is the way to go, I'm good with it. As long as he dies slooooowly... :twisted:

Subjected to the full panoply of "The Punishment" with all the acquired skills of the inquisition?

Or a variant of the Chinese "Death of a Thousand Cuts" akthough that would probably have to be expanded to "Ten Thousand Cuts" to allow for Clyntahn's gross obesity
Post by Peter2   » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:44 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Kakai wrote:
Dilandu wrote:I can't believe it! The Inquisition are actually capable of doing their job? :) After... eight centuries or so, they finally were able to found actual heretics under their own nose)

:lol: Your comment made my day.

Of course, this begs the question of just how exactly the Inquisition found out about Mistress Marzho (or whoever she is). Did their scare tactics acually work in their favour for once, or do they have agents in Zion that are (gasp!) actually capable of doing their job?

Actually, I'm suspicious of this snippet. I'm thinking back to the snippet which seemed to indicate the imminent death of Hektor Aplyn-Ahrmahk, and in reality indicated nothing of the sort. I don't know what RFC has in mind, but I'll bet my boots it's not as simple as it appears. One delicious possibility is that Helm Cleaver has decided to move against Clyntahn, and as a first step has enticed Rayno into a position where he is vulnerable and can be picked off.
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:51 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Sometimes it really is a cigar.

Other times, of course . . . .

Peter2 wrote:
Kakai wrote: :lol: Your comment made my day.

Actually, I'm suspicious of this snippet. I'm thinking back to the snippet which seemed to indicate the imminent death of Hektor Aplyn-Ahrmahk, and in reality indicated nothing of the sort. I don't know what RFC has in mind, but I'll bet my boots it's not as simple as it appears. One delicious possibility is that Helm Cleaver has decided to move against Clyntahn, and as a first step has enticed Rayno into a position where he is vulnerable and can be picked off.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Joat42   » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:58 am

Joat42
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Sometimes it really is a cigar.

. . . it is a exploding cigar?!

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:32 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Its always a cigar....upon close inspection. What one believes it is as one approaches is the question. Surprise after all is discovering something we've seen all along is something else entirely.

Ships hide in the Honorverse in the immensity of space. Literary surprises hide in the complexity of plot elements. David manages to do both well.
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:13 am

Dilandu
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
Ships hide in the Honorverse in the immensity of space.

There is no stealth in space (c) In Honorverse, the usual "hide" is hope that opposing side would not bother to scan everything thoroughly and from several points.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:49 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Peter2 wrote:

I agree with PeterZ - highly suspicious - but there is the counter example of the Thirsk shooting snippet from HFQ, which was pretty much as advertised, although we all pretty much got the context wrong during the massive speculation - so maybe not so different. Definitely suspicious.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Safehold