Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Begging for Snippets!

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Begging for Snippets!
Post by Eagleeye   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

Peter2 wrote:36 days to publication, and counting . . .

I'm counting, anyway – I don't know about anyone else!

And no ARC available via ebay or Abebooks that I know of ... From all the other books, there were ARCs available around 2, 3 months or so before publication date. On the other hand, we know of Davids "perfect storm of problems" ... so maybe there won't be an ARC available this time. Or at least not at a time before the official publication date.
Post by Peter2   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Eagleeye wrote:
Peter2 wrote:36 days to publication, and counting . . .

I'm counting, anyway – I don't know about anyone else!

And no ARC available via ebay or Abebooks that I know of ... From all the other books, there were ARCs available around 2, 3 months or so before publication date. On the other hand, we know of Davids "perfect storm of problems" ... so maybe there won't be an ARC available this time. Or at least not at a time before the official publication date.

No, there won't be an eARC. Baen do eARCs, but Tor don't.
Post by Louis R   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:46 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Tor, however, like all publishers, does do real ARCs. Somehow or other, the hot ones manage to end up on the market [which is what gave Jim the idea for e-ARCs]. Doing them, though, is dependent on having a manuscript to copy, so this time there probably haven't been very many sent out.

Peter2 wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:

No, there won't be an eARC. Baen do eARCs, but Tor don't.
Post by NervousEnergy   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:16 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

Yes, I'd imagine ARCs were a casualty of the accelerated publication pace the late turn-in necessitated. I've got two Baen ARCs from the days prior to monetizing them as eARCs, including the last one before that wonderful practice started (SoSag), and even back then the eBay price wars were murderous.

I'd be surprised if they did any ARCs at all given the schedule. Tor would have had to have them printed and softbound within *days* of the final manuscript turn-in, and that would have only gotten them a month of review press from reviewers who got them. The fact that Tor is doing this massive 'drop it all and get it done' 3 month publication push indicates they believe the books audience is rabid enough without any multi-month advertising / review / media campaign to make up for the added costs and displacement of other titles.

From what Himself had mentioned back shortly after OAR was published the management at Tor understands the value of selling pricy advanced eBooks, but the corporate Powers that Be at Macmillian were still living too far in the past and opposed the idea.
Post by Larry   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:59 pm

Larry
Lieutenant Commander

NervousEnergy wrote:<SNIP>
The fact that Tor is doing this massive 'drop it all and get it done' 3 month publication push indicates they believe the books audience is rabid enough without any multi-month advertising / review / media campaign to make up for the added costs and displacement of other titles.
<SNIP>

I can't speak for the rabiditiy <look I used it in a sentence so it must be a word> of the rest of his fans, but I've already pre-ordered my Kindle copy of the book. I think this is the first one I've ever pre-ordered so maybe I do constitute a rabid fan. <Must go find a mirror now to see if I appear to be foaming at mouth. Could be a good look, what with Halloween coming and all.>

Larry
Post by Louis R   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:26 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Holzbrinck, in fact, from what was said at the time. Tom Doherty actually inked a deal with Jim Baen to put all his new books on WebScriptions, as it was then. And had it shot down at the highest corporate levels. Jim was never dog-in-the-manger, and never doubted that the best way to corral people's beer money was to provide a surfeit of choice - that way there is always _something_ they can't say no to...

NervousEnergy wrote:Yes, I'd imagine ARCs were a casualty of the accelerated publication pace the late turn-in necessitated. I've got two Baen ARCs from the days prior to monetizing them as eARCs, including the last one before that wonderful practice started (SoSag), and even back then the eBay price wars were murderous.

I'd be surprised if they did any ARCs at all given the schedule. Tor would have had to have them printed and softbound within *days* of the final manuscript turn-in, and that would have only gotten them a month of review press from reviewers who got them. The fact that Tor is doing this massive 'drop it all and get it done' 3 month publication push indicates they believe the books audience is rabid enough without any multi-month advertising / review / media campaign to make up for the added costs and displacement of other titles.

From what Himself had mentioned back shortly after OAR was published the management at Tor understands the value of selling pricy advanced eBooks, but the corporate Powers that Be at Macmillian were still living too far in the past and opposed the idea.
Post by d-eye   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:21 pm

d-eye
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

McGuiness wrote:OTOH, my bout of carpal tunnel in both wrists went away when I began wearing wrist braces and cut down on my "all day on the computer" sessions. I haven't had a flareup in years. So let's hope his wrist problems are a swollen nerve or something similar that will settle back to normal with rest. Perhaps it's time to learn to use a mouse left-handed! ;)

I have to wear wrist braces while sleeping, as I manage to put my hands in odd positions that compress the nerves. For a while I also had to wear at least one of them while typing, but that isn't so much any more. The sleeping position of them is the main problem.

Return to Safehold