Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Altered books(spoilers)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Altered books(spoilers)
Post by SYED   » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:34 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

Re beer they removed seining from the lists., so they could alter the books.

It does not matter if they believe, just that they exist and put into circulation. Some might read them out of curiosity and wonder, even if they are forbidden. The inquisition reaction will help the war. Some can lead them to Zion it self, so boost the paranoia.

The thing is the books might question the church, but not actually heretic in nature. So why would the church ban it. It simply questions the. Whole thing.
Post by Expert snuggler   » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:01 pm

Expert snuggler
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:
Expert snuggler wrote:The diary at the SSK is on miraculously age-proof paper. Any chance that other such books from the same era have survived?

And you expect me to answer this because . . . ?

I don't expect anything at all, but it does give you an opening to tease us with something ambiguous.
Post by CJK   » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:49 pm

CJK
Captain (Junior Grade)

In MTAT and to a lessor extent HFQ being left hanging was EXACTLY what happened to the readers.

That said in OAR I believe that Shan-wei was listed as an archangel so that at least that had to be edited out.(and of course her husband Kau-yung and his friend too)
Post by Tonto Silerheels   » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:06 pm

Tonto Silerheels
Captain of the List

CJK wrote:

That said in OAR I believe that Shan-wei was listed as an archangel so that at least that had to be edited out.(and of course her husband Kau-yung and his friend too)

I don't think so. Recall that runsforcelery wrote:

References to [Shan-wei] (and/or to any other member of the Alexandria Enclave's staff) which had already been included in the Writ were allowed to stand . . . but were amended and effectively "footnoted" by post-Fall commentary. Don't forget how important it was to put the full force of Mother Church and the faith of all Safeholdians behind the concept of Shan-wei's Fall. To do that truly effectively, references to what she accomplished before Falling were just as important as anathematizations of her for her subsequent evil deeds.

So that means that those references you mentioned weren't edited out. Rather, the book of Chihiro was written to say that despite the wonderful things the archangel did earlier, she fell and rebelled against God.

~Tonto
Post by wingfield   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:14 am

wingfield
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote:
Expert snuggler wrote:The diary at the SSK is on miraculously age-proof paper. Any chance that other such books from the same era have survived?

And you expect me to answer this because . . . ?

Exhibit A (refer my separate post and discussion today)

Return to Safehold