Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

What is in a name? as used by PICA's

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: What is in a name? as used by PICA's
Post by Keith_w   » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:51 am

Keith_w
Commodore

jchilds wrote:So does that make him the Demon Murphai then?

No, Demon Murphai has an entirely separate existence.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:00 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

That's right. He is the personal pet of Archangel Andropov.

Keith_w wrote:

No, Demon Murphai has an entirely separate existence.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:37 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Ohhhhhhhh! (slap my forehead) :lol: how did a punster miss that?
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:41 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

evilauthor wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:Iorwerth,

There is one other name but, I am thinking that this name was chosen for him and has no alternate meaning from Welsh...
Zhozuah Murphai ((Which I translate as Joshua Murphy)) and it is used in the introduction to the Helm Cleavers in Zion

There's also an Abraim Zhevons, which I think is derived from Abram Devons, also a non-Welsh name. And Slatyr, derived from Slater.

What do all three have in common? They were initially used as infiltration identities. They're not supposed to draw attention due to their outlandishness because the identities using them aren't supposed to stand out as unusual. They're common Safeholdian names no one is supposed to look twice at.

Good catch Evilauthor. Just another example of the layers of mystery the David puts into his work.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:29 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

I am still waiting for the UPS truck or Kindle delivery of AtSOT but I just took a look inside and came across two new names that I hope you can translate...
Gwyliwr and Cleddyf are the names that Merlin gave to Thrisk when he came to deliver a message...
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by ksandgren   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:07 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

C. O. Thompson wrote:I am still waiting for the UPS truck or Kindle delivery of AtSOT but I just took a look inside and came across two new names that I hope you can translate...
Gwyliwr and Cleddyf are the names that Merlin gave to Thrisk when he came to deliver a message...

Iowerth published what the welsh names mean. Those two translate to sentinel and sword.
Last edited by ksandgren on Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:53 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

ksandgren wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:I am still waiting for the UPS truck or Kindle delivery of AtSOT but I just took a look inside and came across two new names that I hope you can translate...

Iowerth published what the welch names mean. Those two translate to sentinel and sword.

I believe you but did not see either of these names in the posting on the first page of this discussion.

Thanks for the information...
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by ksandgren   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:07 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Iowerth published what the welch names mean. Those two translate to sentinel and sword.[/quote]

I believe you but did not see either of these names in the posting on the first page of this discussion.

Thanks for the information...[/quote]

You are correct as to this thread, but about three pages into the Safehold forum is a more complete list of the Welsh he translated. If you use the keyword Welsh and search titles you should find it without going about three pages looking at every listing. If I were more adept at parsing this site, I would include a reference director of some kind.
Post by Iorwerth   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:44 am

Iorwerth
Ensign

ksandgren wrote:Iowerth published what the welch names mean. Those two translate to sentinel and sword.

Thanks for the information...[/quote]

You are correct as to this thread, but about three pages into the Safehold forum is a more complete list of the Welsh he translated. If you use the keyword Welsh and search titles you should find it without going about three pages looking at every listing. If I were more adept at parsing this site, I would include a reference director of some kind.[/quote]

------------------------
Hello,

In the Sticky Snippet Post at the top of the forum. note 4 links to a post on Welsh which I have updated and edited. I have only added a couple of Welsh names from the Amazon Preview - I have not downloaded my copy of AtSoT yet. Perhaps after work today....

Iorwerth
--------------------
yma o hyd

Cymru am byth
Post by Louis R   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:09 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, it's come Unstuck

the link is viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8188&p=230269&hilit=welsh#p230269

Iorwerth wrote:
------------------------
Hello,

In the Sticky Snippet Post at the top of the forum. note 4 links to a post on Welsh which I have updated and edited. I have only added a couple of Welsh names from the Amazon Preview - I have not downloaded my copy of AtSoT yet. Perhaps after work today....

Iorwerth

Return to Safehold