Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 25 guests

What is in a name? as used by PICA's

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: What is in a name? as used by PICA's
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:50 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Iorwerth wrote:
ksandgren wrote:Iowerth published what the welch names mean. Those two translate to sentinel and sword.

I believe you but did not see either of these names in the posting on the first page of this discussion.

Thanks for the information...

You are correct as to this thread, but about three pages into the Safehold forum is a more complete list of the Welsh he translated. If you use the keyword Welsh and search titles you should find it without going about three pages looking at every listing. If I were more adept at parsing this site, I would include a reference director of some kind.[/quote]

------------------------
Hello,

In the Sticky Snippet Post at the top of the forum. note 4 links to a post on Welsh which I have updated and edited. I have only added a couple of Welsh names from the Amazon Preview - I have not downloaded my copy of AtSoT yet. Perhaps after work today....

Iorwerth[/quote]

Thank you and... I'll go look for the list but, alas the search engine in the forum is not intuitive to my way of thinking...

Does that list include Merch O Obaith and Cennady Frenhines??

I got my kindle copy of Sound of Triumph over night and was up to page 61 when UPS delivered my hard bound copy (750+ pages)and SoV

I expect to drop out of sight till I have finished unless I have specific questions like this

Thanks again
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by ecortez   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:49 am

ecortez
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Merch O Obaith translates as Daughter of Hope.

I can't quite get a translation for Cennady Frenhines. Frenhines means Queen. Cennady appears to be related to the English last name Kennedy, that's the only reference I can find. So Queen Kennedy? I have a feeling that's not quite right. Anyone got better sources?

Update: I found this online concerning the name Kennedy:
An Anglicized version of the Irish Gaelic name Cinnéidigh, meaning "helmeted chief."

Interesting, don't you think? Helmeted chief would be one way to describe a queen. In fact the name is gender neutral so king, queen, and monarch all fit. Queen Queen. Or maybe something like Queen of Queens, or King of Kings. This is probably wrong too. I'm just having fun with it.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:10 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

ecortez wrote:Update: I found this online concerning the name Kennedy:
An Anglicized version of the Irish Gaelic name Cinnéidigh, meaning "helmeted chief."

Wouldn't a Helmeted Chief imply a "Warrior King" or "Leading Warrior" or some such.

That would make "Cennady Frenhines" something on the order of "Warrior Queen" or "Queen in Wartime."
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by ecortez   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:50 am

ecortez
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Weird Harold wrote:
ecortez wrote:Update: I found this online concerning the name Kennedy:

Wouldn't a Helmeted Chief imply a "Warrior King" or "Leading Warrior" or some such.

That would make "Cennady Frenhines" something on the order of "Warrior Queen" or "Queen in Wartime."

Back in the day, before kings and queens sat on thrones in their opulent castles, that's exactly what they were. The mightiest warrior became leader. And I'm guessing early "crowns" were war helmets, with perhaps some decorative touches but more functional than ceremonial.

I found this posted in another thread:

Bluesqueak wrote:My Welsh isn't great, but cennad means messenger and Y Frenhines is The Queen. So I'd guess that the name simply means The Queen's messenger.

Checked that with Google Translator (which is how I figured out Merch O Obaith) and indeed, Cennad y Frenhines comes out as The Queen's Messenger. It makes sense, especially given the context.

Return to Safehold