Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Safehold TV show

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Safehold TV show
Post by vovchara   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:49 am

vovchara
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

"The problem with HH has always been the space battles"

This was also my opinion until I saw "The Expanse" Battle of Razorback, season 3 episode 2 IFF.

1. They've managed to have a space fight without ships flying in formation
2. They've managed to convey distances, the relative speed, and tactics where ships were using only missiles and point defense.
3. And it was an edge of the seat experience.
Re: Safehold TV show
Post by thanatos   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:50 am

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

If this new era of streaming and original content has taught me anything it's that adaptations of books works better on TV. Peter Jackson had somehow managed to convince the New Line Cinema to finance a 3 movie trilogy that would be filmed together and managed to get truly excellent actors for nearly all the roles, especially the late Christopher Lee who had actually met J.R.R. Tolkein. However, that was in many ways a one-time success and it required 9 months for shooting 3 films at once, large amounts of CGI that was relatively new at the time, and an ultimate product that was 12 hours long (I speak of the full DVD version) - This for a book trilogy that was 1176 pages longs (plus many relevant annexes). And even then Jackson could not stay too close to the source material (both for dramatic effect and other cinematic constraints), which angered quite a few purist Tolkein fans.

For a Safehold series, you'd definitely need to see some adjustments for dramatic effect, much like what happened in LOTR. We would of course jettison much of the infodumps in favor of lines of dialogue from scientists and technicians, there would be a lot more demonstrations and much of the development of technology would occur off screen. Other explanations would become perhaps become log entries for OWL on his path to self-awareness (rather than the few lines of dialogue in the book that indicate that OWL has developed a burning hatred for the Church and Clyntahn. This could be done over several seasons and much like Paul Bettany's character in the Marvel universe, who started out as the voice of Jarvis and became Vision, OWL could undergo a similar transformation.

But it's equally possible that certain characters would get eliminated altogether or amalgamated into composite characters (there are just too many). And we can forget about adherence to the physical descriptions of the characters, especially where height and weight are concerned. Hektor Aplyn-Ahrmahk for example is may be 8 years old in OAR (I think) and grows into a slightly built and relatively short young man. What happens if said young actor suddenly had a growth spurt and was taller than expected? And that's before we get to the question of acting capabilities. So the question becomes whether the purist will be so pissed off by the changes that they stop watching.

Return to Safehold