Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

Safehold TV show

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Safehold TV show
Post by Jgoalie33   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:17 am

Jgoalie33
Midshipman

I think the Safehold could work like Game of Thrones by either goin on HBO, Showtime or maybe Netflix. What do u guys think?
Re: Safehold TV show
Post by Thendisnia   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Thendisnia
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Jgoalie33 wrote:I think the Safehold could work like Game of Thrones by either goin on HBO, Showtime or maybe Netflix. What do u guys think?

Would be a great project especially with good actors (remember the emotions of the first Sharlayan assassination attempt).

Would be so cool if it was a chapter an episode.
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

intresting and with Game of Thrones still going strong possibly easier to sell then the Honor Harrington series.

honestly not sure which i'd like first. i learn towards HH but that is simply because the series is older and should have been made into film or show years ago.
Post by USMA74   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:01 am

USMA74
Commander

Think about how long after publication it took for "The Lord of the Rings" to be made into three decent movies. Computer generated graphic support is now capable of showing the Federation breakaway effort and many of the large scale naval and land battles can be duplicated on either the big or small screen. Not sure about duplicting the native Safehold fauna. (Look at the discussion of duplicating treecats in the Honorverse forum when the movie was a possibility.) The problem is convincing the money people that there is a big enough current or potenial future fan base to make the the project worthwhile from the viewpoint of generating revenue either through ticket sales or sale of advertising time/commercials.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to be able to watch Safehold unfold before me as a visual feast. I just think there is a lot of competition for this genre. Think about "Game of Thrones," "The Bastard Executioner," and "The Last Kingdom." Will that support by the general public still be there in three to five years when such a project could be realized? After all visual entertainment seems to come in waves: cop shows, westerns, musicals, doctor shows, vampires, etc. If someone has data that proves that the depth of Safehold support in the general population can justify the expenditure I would love to have my opinion changed.
Post by shaeun   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:27 pm

shaeun
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

My fear would be the religious reception. There are an awful lot of people who could decide to be offended by the different aspects of some of the texts.

I think it would be tomfoolery, I also think it would be incredibly amusing.
Post by Thendisnia   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:31 pm

Thendisnia
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Hey The Borgias did alright.
Post by SonicShane97   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:55 pm

SonicShane97

609460-0-0-430-4096986842
Last edited by SonicShane97 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Demelo52   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:00 am

Demelo52
Midshipman

Maybe Netflix but it definitely needs to have some more good shows. After Andy Yeatman left, I am not able to find good shows for my kids on Netflix. He programmed some really good ones. I think my kids are going to like this show as well and it will surely get more publicity from there.
Post by vovchara   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:50 am

vovchara
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

There are a lot of book series which would make a better TV series than what we get currently on TV.

For example, anyone knows of the series "Into Badlands"? What a nonsense, yeah sure it does look cool all jumping and kicking, but put them against trained soldiers in armor with shields and short swords fighting in a formation aka Legions of United States of Boise or Makenzie's archers or Bearkillers...
I bet even Astrid with her Dunadean rangers will cut them in pieces. Yeah, I am talking about Emberverse.
Post by NervousEnergy   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:46 am

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

shaeun wrote:My fear would be the religious reception. There are an awful lot of people who could decide to be offended by the different aspects of some of the texts.

I think it would be tomfoolery, I also think it would be incredibly amusing.

Nah... not on paid channels. Heck there's this fantastic show called 'Lucifer' on *broadcast* TV that ran for three seasons where, if you haven't watched it, features a fairly sympathetic Lucifer (the real deal) as the main character. There was some grumbling from the Religious Right about it, but no widespread protests or boycots, and it was cancelled due to mediocre ratings (and promptly picked up for a 4th season by Netflix.)

If you can run a show for 3 years on prime time, broadcast TV with the Devil himself as the protagonist then I don't see Langhorn and co having much of an issue. ;)

I think it could have legs... the elevator pitch would basically be Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court but on another planet. Sets for that era are well understood.

The problem with HH has always been the space battles. They're easy to imagine but would be very difficult to show with any degree of fidelity. You only 'see' the enemy fleet on tactical displays on the bridge set. The concept popularlized by Star Wars et. al. of ships shooting at each other in visual range is ludicrous in the Honorverse, so you either have to massively compromise the source material or take a risk of not directly showing combat scenes from an external view, but only the human/bridge view.

Return to Safehold