Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests

Maps.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Maps.
Post by dan92677   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:00 pm

dan92677
Commander

I really do like the "movements" map. It has been a great help in visualizing just what is going on. I just hope that it is kept up!!!

Thanks to the map curator!!!

Dan
Post by JeffEngel   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:02 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

dan92677 wrote:I really do like the "movements" map. It has been a great help in visualizing just what is going on. I just hope that it is kept up!!!

Thanks to the map curator!!!

Dan

Got links? Anyone?
Post by dan92677   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:24 pm

dan92677
Commander

Jeff:

<http://www.nfgarland.ca/Safehold_MTnT2.jpg>

That's what the properties say on my pc, anyways.
Post by jgnfld   » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:06 am

jgnfld
Captain of the List

dan92677 wrote:Jeff:

<http://www.nfgarland.ca/Safehold_MTnT2.jpg>

That's what the properties say on my pc, anyways.

Correct http://www.nfgarland.ca/Safehold_MTnT2.jpg

That said, "curator" is pretty much overstating it! It was more of a crude note-taking exercise. I am retiring at the end of the month and may work on it some more. Or maybe the new website will make that unnecessary.
Post by dan92677   » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:43 pm

dan92677
Commander

jgnfld,

Hi! Well, whatever you call it, I very much enjoy it!

Please, if you get the time, keep it up! I can't imagine that there will be anything like it from the publisher, unless rfc gives them such.

Again, thank you!

Dan
Post by dobriennm   » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:20 pm

dobriennm
Commander

runsforcelery wrote:Forgot to mention this earlier. TOR is looking at setting up a small online site (with a link in the next book) where you will be able to find tactical and operational maps we couldn't fit into the page count of the book. I still have to get together with Joe Buckley about updating the Jiltanith map, but at least you should be able to track things like the route of Ahlvarez's retreat and major ship movements.

So, has anyone seen a link yet in the book?
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:54 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

dobriennm wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Forgot to mention this earlier. TOR is looking at setting up a small online site (with a link in the next book) where you will be able to find tactical and operational maps we couldn't fit into the page count of the book. I still have to get together with Joe Buckley about updating the Jiltanith map, but at least you should be able to track things like the route of Ahlvarez's retreat and major ship movements.

So, has anyone seen a link yet in the book?

Erm ... That's 'in the next book' as in 'not in this one'. When RFC posted that it was too late in the publishing process for it to refer to HFQ. :(

Sadly the actual maps in the book are pretty pants (especially in the Kindle version); the map of eastern Siddermark is fairly useless, the one of Claw Island is totally useless, and the greatly-to-be-desired detailed map of the Gulf of Dohlar is entirely missing and so is the detailed map for Green Valley's campaign with the camps marked on it. The maps in the book were good for LAMA, but we just haven't been given an appropriate set for HFQ, which is pretty inexcusable, given the publishing delay.
Post by EdThomas   » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:12 am

EdThomas
Captain of the List

Randomiser wrote:SNIP

Sadly the actual maps in the book are pretty pants (especially in the Kindle version); the map of eastern Siddermark is fairly useless, the one of Claw Island is totally useless, and the greatly-to-be-desired detailed map of the Gulf of Dohlar is entirely missing and so is the detailed map for Green Valley's campaign with the camps marked on it. The maps in the book were good for LAMA, but we just haven't been given an appropriate set for HFQ, which is pretty inexcusable, given the publishing delay.

Hmm.. The Kindle version I received has the LAMA maps, not the HFQ maps. I don't know if TOR sent Amazon a bad file or Amazon screwed up in putting the data from TOR together. If you're thinking about buying the kindle version, DON'T!
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:22 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

EdThomas wrote:
Randomiser wrote:SNIP

Hmm.. The Kindle version I received has the LAMA maps, not the HFQ maps. I don't know if TOR sent Amazon a bad file or Amazon screwed up in putting the data from TOR together. If you're thinking about buying the kindle version, DON'T!

Well, that would explain a lot! Ed, have you actually seen that the dead tree version has different maps from the Kindle one, or is it just an assumption? Thankfully, if someone has messed up Amazon can transmit an updated file anytime and we ought to be pressing them to do so. I just assumed that my maps might have been slightly updated but the set hadn't been changed for this book.

Or could some kind person who bought both versions please check and let us know if the maps are different?
Post by Louis R   » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:18 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Can't speak to the kindle version, but the paper HFQ does have maps that aren't in LAMA.

Randomiser wrote:
EdThomas wrote:Hmm.. The Kindle version I received has the LAMA maps, not the HFQ maps. I don't know if TOR sent Amazon a bad file or Amazon screwed up in putting the data from TOR together. If you're thinking about buying the kindle version, DON'T!

Well, that would explain a lot! Ed, have you actually seen that the dead tree version has different maps from the Kindle one, or is it just an assumption? Thankfully, if someone has messed up Amazon can transmit an updated file anytime and we ought to be pressing them to do so. I just assumed that my maps might have been slightly updated but the set hadn't been changed for this book.

Or could some kind person who bought both versions please check and let us know if the maps are different?

Return to Safehold