Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 74 guests

HFQ Snippet 27[?] a

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Snippet 27[?] a
Post by n7axw   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:50 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Isilith wrote:
Dilandu wrote:

I want to see something other than "all-powerfull charisian army/navy/secret service/two year-old childrens/messenger wyverns, crushed opposing forces without any hard." Currently, the war is in Mary-Sue stage - one side is always winning, the other is always loosing. All this made the global conflict much less impressive, and actually reduces all to the idea of "who have a bigger gun is always right".

Yeah, no idea what series you have been reading.

I agree. When Temple armies were overrunning Western Siddarmark and narrowly missed overruning the whole country, it didn't look very Mary-Sueish to me.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by SCC   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:16 am

SCC
Commander

Haven't we had these plates described before? In one of the teaser snippets?
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:57 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

SCC wrote:Haven't we had these plates described before? In one of the teaser snippets?

Yup - it's in the Tiny snippet. I was wondering who guessed correctly in that discussion as to their function?
Post by pokermind   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:09 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Remember new weapons will have a delay for manufacture, then training users, in winter no less meanwhile their army is going to get chewed by the unexpected winter attack. Simply put time is running out for the Temple Boys :twisted:
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by captinjoehenry   » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:26 pm

captinjoehenry
Lieutenant Commander

I am just wondering what the current financial situation the CoGA is in as from this snippet it seems they are saving some money but they are in the middle of basically rebuilding their entire steel industry from scratch and they are making a huge number of new weapons and in MTaT the CoGA seemed to be in almost dire financial straits. Now they have to totally rebuild a 300,000 man army and rearm all of their 1,000,000+ soldiers with a whole new set of new weapons and develop and deploy some very large never before built artillery to defend their coast from ironclads. So I am wondering when they will finally run out of money as back in MTaT they were already issuing notes for money they do not have and their expenses must have gone up with all of the new construction they need to do now and even members of the church working in their production centers I would assume they are only spending more money then ever.

All in all I think a major issue in HFQ is going to be the fact that the CoGA is finally going to run out of money and the CoGA mark is going to go through a MASSIVE inflation rate very soon so I think the CoGA is going to experience an even worse version of the USA's Great Depression.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:09 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

captinjoehenry wrote:I am just wondering what the current financial situation the CoGA is in as from this snippet it seems they are saving some money but they are in the middle of basically rebuilding their entire steel industry from scratch and they are making a huge number of new weapons and in MTaT the CoGA seemed to be in almost dire financial straits. Now they have to totally rebuild a 300,000 man army and rearm all of their 1,000,000+ soldiers with a whole new set of new weapons and develop and deploy some very large never before built artillery to defend their coast from ironclads. So I am wondering when they will finally run out of money as back in MTaT they were already issuing notes for money they do not have and their expenses must have gone up with all of the new construction they need to do now and even members of the church working in their production centers I would assume they are only spending more money then ever.

All in all I think a major issue in HFQ is going to be the fact that the CoGA is finally going to run out of money and the CoGA mark is going to go through a MASSIVE inflation rate very soon so I think the CoGA is going to experience an even worse version of the USA's Great Depression.

It would appear that Duchairn has managed to staunch the flow well enough to prolong the agony. That does not mean that he has managed to create a sustainable situation, though.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Re: HFQ Snippet 27 (Part two) Weapons SPOILERS
Post by mhicks   » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:54 pm

mhicks
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Weird Harold wrote:
Larry wrote:Are we talking Hale Rockets? <i.e. http://weebau.com/history/hale_rock.htm>

Closer to the WWII German nebelwerfer

Note the baseplate of the extra rocket motor under the warhead:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/M%C3%A9morial_du_Souvenir_17_-_Schweres_Wurfger%C3%A4t_41.jpg (Image too big for hotlinking)

after reading this post and looking at Wikipedia, I started to wonder when is Go4 going to allow use of GAS and other weapons that would be against the Geneva Convention.

It is also sounding like 3 out of the four in the Go4 are getting tiered of Clynton and are starting to get their feet under themselves. I see all three grabbing Clynton and marching him out to the ICA when they show up at the temple door.
Re: HFQ Snippet 27 (Part two) Weapons SPOILERS
Post by Keith_w   » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:54 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

mhicks wrote: quote="Weird Harold" quote="Larry"]Are we talking Hale Rockets? <i.e. http://weebau.com/history/hale_rock.htm> /quote

Closer to the WWII German nebelwerfer

Note the baseplate of the extra rocket motor under the warhead:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/M%C3%A9morial_du_Souvenir_17_-_Schweres_Wurfger%C3%A4t_41.jpg (Image too big for hotlinking) /quote

after reading this post and looking at Wikipedia, I started to wonder when is Go4 going to allow use of GAS and other weapons that would be against the Geneva Convention.

It is also sounding like 3 out of the four in the Go4 are getting tiered of Clynton and are starting to get their feet under themselves. I see all three grabbing Clynton and marching him out to the ICA when they show up at the temple door.

I think they should just defenestrate him. Unfortunately, I also think that it will end up like the 2nd defenestration of Prague, rather than the 1st. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Technis   » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:46 am

Technis
Midshipman

runsforcelery wrote:Part two!

What had happened at Esthyr’s Abbey last five-day suggested the Charisians were much more winter-mobile than anyone had expected. Worse, the Church had no firsthand report on the battle because not one defender had escaped death or capture

How did the Church find out about it then?

This means that the element of surprise is gone. Casualties for the attacker will go up significantly.
Post by AClone   » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:40 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

Technis wrote:

How did the Church find out about it then?

This means that the element of surprise is gone. Casualties for the attacker will go up significantly.

I'm going to take it that they had "secondhand" reports then--perhaps such as inference from communication being cut off, or a drover from a supply lizard train who blundered into an ICA patrol--and was allowed/managed to escape.

Return to Safehold