Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

(SPOILERS) What did Hauwerd tell Duchairn?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: (SPOILERS) What did Hauwerd tell Duchairn?
Post by WeberFan   » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:40 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

S

P

O

I

L

E

R
IIRC from the textev, Major Phandys is the person who put the iceboat message in the queue - and I suspect he did it at Hauwerd's direction. Hauwerd KNEW that he and his brother would be arrested in the Inquisition's pogrom, and he needed to find a plausible way to (A) eliminate any potential for the Question pulling any information about the reformists out of him or his brother; and (B) protect his network of "loyal" Temple Guardsmen so they could support a potential Temple revolt.

Continuing, I am pretty certain that the textev states that Hauwerd's note to Duchairn tells him about the reformists in the Temple and the network of loyal Guardsmen (rather like "here is a list of names you can TRUST")... Imagine Duchairn's surprise when he finds Phandys' name close to the top of the list. Then it's a relatively simple matter to "feel out" Phandys while continuing to make the pro-forma complaints to the Inquisition about how Phandys should be reassigned to a position where he can give greater "value" to the Inquisition... All the time knowing it'll never happen.

When Phandys and Hauwerd were fighting, recall the statement that when Hauwerd was run through, he looked up at Phandys with a look of gratitude - no doubt in my mind that the fight was pre-planned to kill Hauwerd and also to "protect" Phandys - allowing him to move into an even more important position. He got promoted soon after and assigned to oversee Duchairn.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:53 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

WeberFan wrote:S

P

O

I

L

E

R
IIRC from the textev, Major Phandys is the person who put the iceboat message in the queue - and I suspect he did it at Hauwerd's direction. Hauwerd KNEW that he and his brother would be arrested in the Inquisition's pogrom, and he needed to find a plausible way to (A) eliminate any potential for the Question pulling any information about the reformists out of him or his brother; and (B) protect his network of "loyal" Temple Guardsmen so they could support a potential Temple revolt.

Continuing, I am pretty certain that the textev states that Hauwerd's note to Duchairn tells him about the reformists in the Temple and the network of loyal Guardsmen (rather like "here is a list of names you can TRUST")... Imagine Duchairn's surprise when he finds Phandys' name close to the top of the list. Then it's a relatively simple matter to "feel out" Phandys while continuing to make the pro-forma complaints to the Inquisition about how Phandys should be reassigned to a position where he can give greater "value" to the Inquisition... All the time knowing it'll never happen.

When Phandys and Hauwerd were fighting, recall the statement that when Hauwerd was run through, he looked up at Phandys with a look of gratitude - no doubt in my mind that the fight was pre-planned to kill Hauwerd and also to "protect" Phandys - allowing him to move into an even more important position. He got promoted soon after and assigned to oversee Duchairn.

WeberFan,

Exactlyafter finishing SoV, I plan to re-read the second book where they fight to Hauwerds death... I saw that when I read before but, now have reason to look for any other clue .
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by WeberFan   » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:59 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

C. O. Thompson wrote:
WeberFan wrote:S

P

O

I

L

E

R

WeberFan,

Exactlyafter finishing SoV, I plan to re-read the second book where they fight to Hauwerds death... I saw that when I read before but, now have reason to look for any other clue .

I confess that I've "had my eye" on Phandys ever since we were first introduced to him :ugeek: ... His discovery of the iceboat reservation and his subsequent "fight to the death" with Hauwerd and promotion seemed way to coincidental to me... Rather like Master Seablanket (Coris' valet) and how he ended up as a "triple agent." :roll:
Post by wingfield   » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:45 am

wingfield
Lieutenant Commander

WeberFan wrote:[
I confess that I've "had my eye" on Phandys ever since we were first introduced to him :ugeek: ... His discovery of the iceboat reservation and his subsequent "fight to the death" with Hauwerd and promotion seemed way to coincidental to me... Rather like Master Seablanket (Coris' valet) and how he ended up as a "triple agent." :roll:

It seemed a clear call to me when I made it in June 2015 but then there was nothing in HFQ to give me any encouragement. Glad it proved correct in the end! :lol:

Return to Safehold