Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 54 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #26 (I think)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #26 (I think)
Post by Gunny   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:03 pm

Gunny
Lieutenant Commander

Tonto Silerheels wrote:EdThomas wrote:

This is so fiendishly clever I'm proposing Lyonheart for the Totally Unexpected Weapon of the Book Award.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I don't think it would work. The Church of God Awaiting has been using codes, pass phrases, and cyphers for so long, that I very much doubt that an enemy can duplicate the necessary encoded message to convince the recipients that it's genuine.

~Tonto

That's just about the attitude that the Germans had about using the Enigma machine, and the Japanese about the JN25 code.

And by now the good guys, backed up with considerable computer power should have numerous messages to use to determine their protocols. And quite likely you don't have to change much. You get in a message saying "we need food" and you change only one word: "we have food."
Post by n7axw   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:20 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Gunny wrote:

This is so fiendishly clever I'm proposing Lyonheart for the Totally Unexpected Weapon of the Book Award.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I don't think it would work. The Church of God Awaiting has been using codes, pass phrases, and cyphers for so long, that I very much doubt that an enemy can duplicate the necessary encoded message to convince the recipients that it's genuine.

~Tonto

That's just about the attitude that the Germans had about using the Enigma machine, and the Japanese about the JN25 code.

And by now the good guys, backed up with considerable computer power should have numerous messages to use to determine their protocols. And quite likely you don't have to change much. You get in a message saying "we need food" and you change only one word: "we have food."

For what it is worth, when BGV got permission to launch his current campaign. IIRC, he received it encrepted via semaphore. It was a code designed to be used only once after which the pages in the codebook were destroyed. That would complicate decoding it should it be subject to 3rd party interdiction, I would think.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by pokermind   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:20 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliograph the projector is a simple mirror, but shutters to flash Morse code by manipulating a handle at the side is used to flash the message. A lamp and mirror can be used to send messages at night.

Poker

EdThomas wrote:Leaving the world of codes for a moment.
How does a holographic projector work? Please restrict answers to words with no more than eight syllables.
Thanks
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by EdThomas   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:58 am

EdThomas
Captain of the List

Thanks Poker, but I was looking for Holo , not helio. Anyway, I took your advice and visited Wiki. The first article I looked at was on holography, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holography. This took a little concentrating but made sense to this old brain.
the second article on "Holographic principle" was way beyond me. We're talking string theory, quantum gravity some pretty heavy stuff. Enjoy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle.
:lol: :lol:
Last edited by EdThomas on Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Louis R   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:44 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

The holographic principle is a horse of a very different color from holographic projection. Assuming it is a horse, and not a unicorn. Or maybe a rhinoceros. Of course, it could be a hippopotamus - in which case, it is definitely not an elephant...

::louis r wanders off singing "Mud! Mud! Glorious mud!"::

EdThomas wrote:

Thanks Poker, but I was looking for Holo , not helio. Anyway, I took your advice and visited Wiki. The first article I looked at was on holography, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holography. This took a little concentrating but made sense to this old brain.
the second article was on "Holographic principle" was way beyond me. We're talking string theory, quantum gravity some pretty heavy stuff. Enjoy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle.
:lol: :lol:
Post by Louis R   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:47 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

hand-
wa-
vi-
um

there you go - only 4 syllables

EdThomas wrote:Leaving the world of codes for a moment.
How does a holographic projector work? Please restrict answers to words with no more than eight syllables.
Thanks
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:20 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Louis R wrote:hand-
wa-
vi-
um

there you go - only 4 syllables

FM -- only two syllables and closer to accurate.

FM==F'ing Magic
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by evilauthor   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:09 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Gunny wrote:

~Tonto

I'm pretty sure Duchairn sends and gets reports more detailed than that over the Semaphore.

Return to Safehold