Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #26 (I think)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #26 (I think)
Post by Thrandir   » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:06 pm

Thrandir
Commander

Thanks for the snippet RFC and it is great to hear the installation of the pacemaker went well.

Now just follow the Doctor's and more importantly Sharon's orders to stay well :)
Post by Nick   » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:30 pm

Nick
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

So glad to hear you're feeling better! Thank you again for the snippet! Quite enjoyable as always.
Post by GlynnStewart   » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:25 pm

GlynnStewart
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Glad to hear your health is improving!

Your health is far more important that feeding our snippet addiction, so don't worry about us!

But thanks for the snippet all the same :lol:
Post by JRM   » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:30 pm

JRM
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

[quote="runsforcelery"]

Hope you enjoy it.
quote]

Thank you very much. I certainly enjoyed it.

Notice that Wyrshym is expecting Vicar Rhobair to keep to the schedule of restoring canal access to Guarnak by mid April. BGV is on schedule to take the Northland Gap at Esthyr’s Abbey, and the Guarnak Gap at Fairkyn in detail before Wyrshym can reinforce either. Can he take Wyrshym at Guarnak before he is reinforced?

What has Siddarmark done to restore the canal up the Sylmahn Gap? Once BGV’s force come through the Guarnak gap, will either the Siddarmark or ICA forces do anything to restore the Guarnak-Ice Ash canal? What are the watershed boundaries? Will possession of Wyvern Lake allow barging repair material right up to damaged locks on the Guarnak Sylmahn Canal, or will the repair material have to be freighted to the damaged locks with repair opening another operational section for logistical purposes? When does the Hsing-wu’s Passage open as far as the Ice Ash river, or as far as the Hildermoss river ?

Notice that logistical considerations limit BGV’s ability to take the first concentration camp at Hyrdmyn. It is implicit that it limits his ability to fight much further than Guarnak, unless one of these lines of supply is opened.

James
Post by BarryKirk   » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:56 pm

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

Glad to hear that your on the mend RFC.

And a wonderful snippet too. Looking forward to Green Valley kicking ass... Again.
Post by RHWoodman   » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:49 pm

RHWoodman
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks so much for the snippet, RFC, and I (like all the rest of us on this site) are delighted that things went well for you with the pacemaker installation. You have my best wishes for an ongoing improvement in your health.

Robert
Post by n7axw   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:37 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Thanks to RFC for the great snippet. David, I hope you manage to take a week or two off to get away from the pressure and relax. From the sound of things, it's been too long...

A very nice info dump in this one. I enjoyed the description of the mobile kitchens, especially along with the portable "kitchenware" the troops carry in their backpacks...

It seems like BGV has been on the road flanking the Army of the Sylvan Gap forever. His journey started in the middle of LAMA and just looking at a map, it appears from the description of Esthyr Abbey's location that he is roughly half the distance he intends to travel to get to Guernak. Part of the reason for the impression is that there is a whole lot happening in a very short timeframe Which has been the trend since MTAT so it seems longer than it really has.

If the next snippet continues in the current vein, we could see an engagement as BGV takes out the garrison at Esthyr's Abby...maybe. I find myself wondering if there will even be a fight. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the scout snipers take out what few sentries there seems to be, slip into the garrsion and go knocking in the doors of those cabins and invite the occupants to come out...unarmed. I wonder what provision BGV has made for taking care of 4500 POWs.

Another thought I'm having is that unless I've missed something, it is March of 897. Within two months we will be into campaigning season. Guernak is still a l-o-n-g ways away. Has BGV got time to get down to Guernak and the Sylvan Gap before Wyrshym is reinforced?

Then too, we know from previous textev that Duchairn is focused on arming that big Harchongese army, apparently at the expense of the AOG. So where are those hundred thousand troops armed with upgraded weapons Wyrshym has been told to expect supposed to come from?

Finally, we know that BGV has about 70,000 troops under his command. My impression is that he brought about 20,000 with him on his current adventure and left the remainder behind in Allyntyn. But what about those troops still in the Sylvan Gap holding the cork against Wyrshym? How many of them are there and do they have the potential to stage a breakout against Wyrshym?

Just thoughts...nuff for now.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:02 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:I'd say the new 4.5 inch mortar is going to be fairly important as the series continues. It is described as having 4000 yards extra range compared to the older 3 inch mortar. If I'm not mistaken, the old mortars could fire something like a mile to a mile and a half. So the new M97 mortars should have something like 3.5 to 4 miles of total range. If the ICA can work out a good system for forward fire control that is going to be a pretty substantial advantage on any battlefield. Or better yet, put the 4.5 mortars on high ground so they can direct their own fire.

First of all, I'm really glad to hear that things are going well - so double thanks for snippetting - and a great snippet too. As with some of the others, I've bean really longing to get back to BGV!

One these new mortars - is the extended range purely due to the larger diameter allowing more explosive or might that be due to a new propellant?

Interesting too seeing that Wyrshym takes the defeat of the Army of Shiloah as well in the past, so that probably means we won't see the messengers bringing that bit news to the Gof4 - shame :-(
Post by wingfield   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:05 am

wingfield
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote:“On the other hand, I’m entirely in favor of your breaking something else.”

Great to see you doing well and thank you for the snippet!
Post by JeffEngel   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:33 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:I'd say the new 4.5 inch mortar is going to be fairly important as the series continues. It is described as having 4000 yards extra range compared to the older 3 inch mortar. If I'm not mistaken, the old mortars could fire something like a mile to a mile and a half. So the new M97 mortars should have something like 3.5 to 4 miles of total range. If the ICA can work out a good system for forward fire control that is going to be a pretty substantial advantage on any battlefield. Or better yet, put the 4.5 mortars on high ground so they can direct their own fire.

It's got a lot of range and kick, but it won't be getting to all the places the M95 can or as easily. The M95, in pieces, is just barely man-portable among a squad of four. I doubt the plate of a M97 is something a human is carrying at all, so the piece (assembled or not) has to be carried on wheels or draft animal. (Or a draft animal dragging it on wheels.) It's an out-and-out field artillery piece. That's a fine niche to be filled, but it still leaves a role for M95's or an updated 3.5" mortar like it.

Return to Safehold