Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 80 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #26 (I think)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #26 (I think)
Post by n7axw   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:43 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

BobG wrote:I'm also glad to hear that you are doing better, David. (and thanks for the snippet).

PeterZ wrote:
My guts tells me the simmering anger Green Valley has been displaying in his internal monologues will lead to an act of brutal practicality regarding prisoners. Unless there are non-arctic troops following his vanguard, BGV will leave these temple boys to freeze. They won't last long enough to starve. From that perspective he might not even leave them with more than 1-2 days of food and then burn down anything that might shelter the SOBs.

If he captures this garrison whole, he cannot leave them able to join other TLs and he can't take them with him. Leaving any sized force to guard the prisoners will reduce his firepower to use against Fairkyn, Ohlarn and finally Guarnak. So, whether BGV has enough troops to guard these prisoners will really tell us how he planned for this offensive. Did he accept from the beginning that prisoners were a luxury he would dispense with? Or regardless of his growing animosity, will he take prisoners and provide for their welfare once in custody?

There is a real nasty part of me that wishes the former knowing full well that doing that would perpetuate evil. If simply reading the book leaves one feeling that way, imagine what actually being in a similar situation would make one feel? The Eastern Front on '39-'40 or '43-'44 if the Russian commanders knew about the German concentration camps, could the combat have become more brutal than it was? I shudder to think.

I don't know what he will do, but if he leaves them with no weapons or warm clothing and barely enough food to survive, then then won't be any sort of threat for the next couple of months - at which time, BGV can send a force to walk them back to POW camps.

I agree that if he wants to burn the place to the ground and leave, that would finish off the forces. And he might just do that. And frankly, given the CoGA forces handling of civilians and POWs, I don't see any reason for him not to do so. Why show them any more mercy then they've shown Allied forces?

The only problem with that is he won't be able to have a special welcome for the Inquisitors assigned to the Abbey. But I suppose knowing they're freezing to death would be good enough.

I'm not sure, however, what honor dictates in the handling of prisoners (excluding Inquisitors), should he accept them. If he takes prisoners, then leaving them to die is probably a violation of Cayleb's orders. But BGV can just blow the place to heck, take the living inquisitors, and leave the remaining forces without taking them as prisoners. Not sure...

-- Bob G

I suppose that the reason for treating others well even if they are enemies who have done dispicable things is that what we do determines the kind of people we ourselves are. I don't want BGV doing anything that would cause him to not like what he sees when he looks in the mirror. This something that can't be rationalized away because at rock bottom, we all know the truth about what we are looking at.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Louis R   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:27 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

When last heard from, the Sylmahn Gap was still flooded by the dam at Serabor. Assuming that the Sword left them intact - not at all certain - the locks between Wyvern Lake and Serabor will need major overhauls even once the dam is opened - they've spent the last year or more under water. Given that the Gap will be a wasteland anyway, it could be that the PTB have installed temporary locks or cranes or whatever to get more barges around the dam without opening it. Otherwise, there's going to be a serious bottleneck in the logistics of forces operating west of the Gap. That simply can't be avoided under the circumstances.

Bear in mind also that Wyrshym's forces won't surrender any of the canal they hold intact, either. Not if they have any choice at all in the matter. How much choice the terrain gives them, of course, we don't know. It may be that the region between the Ice Ashes and Hildermoss is a high plateau that actually drains through the Gap, and there aren't any locks until close to Guarnak. My bet, though, is on the height of land being very close to, if not at, the western shores of Wyvern Lake, meaning that the canal climbs from Guarnak and there are locks to be blown up in plenty. At least some of them will be, no matter how little choice the RSA attempts to leave in the matter.

It's a pretty safe bet that plans for repairs of recaptured canals are already afoot. The Republic doesn't have nearly the resources that Duchairn can throw at the problem, but it's no less urgent for them than it is for the AoG, so they'll deal with it somehow. With luck, they'll manage to capture some of Duchairn's works just before they're completed - and so just before they can be prepared for demolition ;)

JRM wrote:
Thank you very much. I certainly enjoyed it.

Notice that Wyrshym is expecting Vicar Rhobair to keep to the schedule of restoring canal access to Guarnak by mid April. BGV is on schedule to take the Northland Gap at Esthyr’s Abbey, and the Guarnak Gap at Fairkyn in detail before Wyrshym can reinforce either. Can he take Wyrshym at Guarnak before he is reinforced?

What has Siddarmark done to restore the canal up the Sylmahn Gap? Once BGV’s force come through the Guarnak gap, will either the Siddarmark or ICA forces do anything to restore the Guarnak-Ice Ash canal? What are the watershed boundaries? Will possession of Wyvern Lake allow barging repair material right up to damaged locks on the Guarnak Sylmahn Canal, or will the repair material have to be freighted to the damaged locks with repair opening another operational section for logistical purposes? When does the Hsing-wu’s Passage open as far as the Ice Ash river, or as far as the Hildermoss river ?

Notice that logistical considerations limit BGV’s ability to take the first concentration camp at Hyrdmyn. It is implicit that it limits his ability to fight much further than Guarnak, unless one of these lines of supply is opened.

James
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:35 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Don,

I think we can count on BGV to follow his orders and take prisoners, and his following echelons can keep the POW's fed in place since they're in no condition to march further south in this winter weather.

So yes, the survivors [3-4000?] will stay in place, sort of; probably in an wood fence enclosed POW camp, until roughly May.

When they will be joined by Nybar's survivors. :D

And again Amen to all those grateful for how well RFC is doing.

L

n7axw wrote:
BobG wrote:I'm also glad to hear that you are doing better, David. (and thanks for the snippet).

PeterZ wrote:*quote*My guts tells me the simmering anger Green Valley has been displaying in his internal monologues will lead to an act of brutal practicality regarding prisoners. Unless there are non-arctic troops following his vanguard, BGV will leave these temple boys to freeze. They won't last long enough to starve. From that perspective he might not even leave them with more than 1-2 days of food and then burn down anything that might shelter the SOBs.

If he captures this garrison whole, he cannot leave them able to join other TLs and he can't take them with him. Leaving any sized force to guard the prisoners will reduce his firepower to use against Fairkyn, Ohlarn and finally Guarnak. So, whether BGV has enough troops to guard these prisoners will really tell us how he planned for this offensive. Did he accept from the beginning that prisoners were a luxury he would dispense with? Or regardless of his growing animosity, will he take prisoners and provide for their welfare once in custody?

There is a real nasty part of me that wishes the former knowing full well that doing that would perpetuate evil. If simply reading the book leaves one feeling that way, imagine what actually being in a similar situation would make one feel? The Eastern Front on '39-'40 or '43-'44 if the Russian commanders knew about the German concentration camps, could the combat have become more brutal than it was? I shudder to think.*quote*
I don't know what he will do, but if he leaves them with no weapons or warm clothing and barely enough food to survive, then then won't be any sort of threat for the next couple of months - at which time, BGV can send a force to walk them back to POW camps.

I agree that if he wants to burn the place to the ground and leave, that would finish off the forces. And he might just do that. And frankly, given the CoGA forces handling of civilians and POWs, I don't see any reason for him not to do so. Why show them any more mercy then they've shown Allied forces?

The only problem with that is he won't be able to have a special welcome for the Inquisitors assigned to the Abbey. But I suppose knowing they're freezing to death would be good enough.

I'm not sure, however, what honor dictates in the handling of prisoners (excluding Inquisitors), should he accept them. If he takes prisoners, then leaving them to die is probably a violation of Cayleb's orders. But BGV can just blow the place to heck, take the living inquisitors, and leave the remaining forces without taking them as prisoners. Not sure...

-- Bob G

I suppose that the reason for treating others well even if they are enemies who have done dispicable things is that what we do determines the kind of people we ourselves are. I don't want BGV doing anything that would cause him to not like what he sees when he looks in the mirror. This something that can't be rationalized away because at rock bottom, we all know the truth about what we are looking at.

Don
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by EdThomas   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:42 pm

EdThomas
Captain of the List

Henry Brown wrote: If the ICA can work out a good system for forward fire control that is going to be a pretty substantial advantage on any battlefield. Or better yet, put the 4.5 mortars on high ground so they can direct their own fire.

"Artillery support parties had already moved up close behind the deploying infantry, carrying their signal mirrors, signal rockets, and semaphore flags with them. Additional ASPs had been dropped off to serve as relays to the heavy mortars."
The ASP's and the guns have good maps yielding good location data. The ASP's will have good compasses and optical range finders to provide accurate adjustment data. They're setting up comm relays to ensure continuous and timely target data. Given all these the biggest factor in accuracy becomes the consistency of the propellant. My gut is BGV will have very accurate fires from his tubes.
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:58 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi JeffEngel,

This new 4.5" mortar is great news!

I've been advocating and expecting a 120mm range mortar for years here, so even if it's not 4.725" exactly with 33 lb shells etc, its more than close enough.

A lethal radius of ~40 yards over the 3" 50' radius implies the new more powerful explosives, which given the lower firing shock and velocity of mortars is quite possible.

The 3" M95's range of 'a mile and a half' implies 2640 yards, though the MTaT textev says only 2500; 4000 yards further is about 3.7 miles, much farther than I'd figured, 4000-4,500 yards being quite enough for me as well as being somewhat lighter, but it is RFC creation after all, so I too am fascinated by its potential future that RFC has opened for us, because I wonder when it will need such range.

The US Army's WW2 4.2" or 'four-deuce', had a RoF of 18 rounds the first minute [27 lbs each] of an engagement, and was extremely accurate being rifled when that was rare for mortars.

Until probably the next snippet we don't know the number in each 4.5" platoon [3-4?], or its RoF, but I presume its around 15 rounds per minute initially.

Even if the 4.5" is back a third of its range, the AoG is toast.

Also looking forward to it. ;)

L

JeffEngel wrote:
Henry Brown wrote:I'd say the new 4.5 inch mortar is going to be fairly important as the series continues. It is described as having 4000 yards extra range compared to the older 3 inch mortar. If I'm not mistaken, the old mortars could fire something like a mile to a mile and a half. So the new M97 mortars should have something like 3.5 to 4 miles of total range. If the ICA can work out a good system for forward fire control that is going to be a pretty substantial advantage on any battlefield. Or better yet, put the 4.5 mortars on high ground so they can direct their own fire.

It's got a lot of range and kick, but it won't be getting to all the places the M95 can or as easily. The M95, in pieces, is just barely man-portable among a squad of four. I doubt the plate of a M97 is something a human is carrying at all, so the piece (assembled or not) has to be carried on wheels or draft animal. (Or a draft animal dragging it on wheels.) It's an out-and-out field artillery piece. That's a fine niche to be filled, but it still leaves a role for M95's or an updated 3.5" mortar like it.
Post by EdThomas   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:02 pm

EdThomas
Captain of the List

The decision to take or not take prisoners was made by Cayleb when planning for this mission started. Provisions for housing, securing and feeding prisoners had to be an integral part of the plan. Somewhere in BGV's logistical tail are the means to keep surviving TL's alive as prisoners of war.
I doubt very much if Merlin and Cayleb would have put this decision on BGV's shoulders. They want all all their forces to be able to look in the mirror.
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:13 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Louis R,

Kudos for the excellent points, as usual.

I also expect those still in the Sylman gap to have achieved major repairs or improvements, preparing to be the major campaign supply conduit after Guarnak is taken.

this might include a couple of steam fitted canal barges, above and below the the dam, probably steam powered cranes to0 hoist barges or their cargoes if it hasn't been breached or released, to move more barges far faster than Duchairn or Clyntahn has ever dreamed.

We know the ICA has its own temporary canal repair engineer units, so I'm not too worried about BGV being resupplied or reinforced from there.

How much further west he gets after dealing with Wyrshym will be even more interesting.

L

Louis R wrote:When last heard from, the Sylmahn Gap was still flooded by the dam at Serabor. Assuming that the Sword left them intact - not at all certain - the locks between Wyvern Lake and Serabor will need major overhauls even once the dam is opened - they've spent the last year or more under water. Given that the Gap will be a wasteland anyway, it could be that the PTB have installed temporary locks or cranes or whatever to get more barges around the dam without opening it. Otherwise, there's going to be a serious bottleneck in the logistics of forces operating west of the Gap. That simply can't be avoided under the circumstances.

Bear in mind also that Wyrshym's forces won't surrender any of the canal they hold intact, either. Not if they have any choice at all in the matter. How much choice the terrain gives them, of course, we don't know. It may be that the region between the Ice Ashes and Hildermoss is a high plateau that actually drains through the Gap, and there aren't any locks until close to Guarnak. My bet, though, is on the height of land being very close to, if not at, the western shores of Wyvern Lake, meaning that the canal climbs from Guarnak and there are locks to be blown up in plenty. At least some of them will be, no matter how little choice the RSA attempts to leave in the matter.

It's a pretty safe bet that plans for repairs of recaptured canals are already afoot. The Republic doesn't have nearly the resources that Duchairn can throw at the problem, but it's no less urgent for them than it is for the AoG, so they'll deal with it somehow. With luck, they'll manage to capture some of Duchairn's works just before they're completed - and so just before they can be prepared for demolition ;)

JRM wrote:
Thank you very much. I certainly enjoyed it.

Notice that Wyrshym is expecting Vicar Rhobair to keep to the schedule of restoring canal access to Guarnak by mid April. BGV is on schedule to take the Northland Gap at Esthyr’s Abbey, and the Guarnak Gap at Fairkyn in detail before Wyrshym can reinforce either. Can he take Wyrshym at Guarnak before he is reinforced?

What has Siddarmark done to restore the canal up the Sylmahn Gap? Once BGV’s force come through the Guarnak gap, will either the Siddarmark or ICA forces do anything to restore the Guarnak-Ice Ash canal? What are the watershed boundaries? Will possession of Wyvern Lake allow barging repair material right up to damaged locks on the Guarnak Sylmahn Canal, or will the repair material have to be freighted to the damaged locks with repair opening another operational section for logistical purposes? When does the Hsing-wu’s Passage open as far as the Ice Ash river, or as far as the Hildermoss river ?

Notice that logistical considerations limit BGV’s ability to take the first concentration camp at Hyrdmyn. It is implicit that it limits his ability to fight much further than Guarnak, unless one of these lines of supply is opened.

James
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:18 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

EdThomas wrote:The decision to take or not take prisoners was made by Cayleb when planning for this mission started. Provisions for housing, securing and feeding prisoners had to be an integral part of the plan. Somewhere in BGV's logistical tail are the means to keep surviving TL's alive as prisoners of war.
I doubt very much if Merlin and Cayleb would have put this decision on BGV's shoulders. They want all all their forces to be able to look in the mirror.

There is also the consideration, that, if it is known that AOG solders can surrender and live [except the inquisitors], then there will be a constant temptation for surrounded or outnumbered troops to yield, draining their will to fight.

If the opposite is true then they have no option but to fight to the [very] bitter end, taking as many of the Charisians as possible!
Post by n7axw   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:18 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Hi Lyonheart et al.,

I really don't believe BGV is going to start committing atrocities either. But PeterZ is right to be concerned about his anger. Then there is the fatigue factor along with all the burned out farms and villages they've seen...

Were I to decide what to do with POWs, I would detail dragoons as guards and then start transporting them to the rear with the empty wagons/sleds that brought forward my provisions. Once you have them where the supply access is better, establish a POW camp.

Lyonheart, what's your take on the distance BGV still has to travel to finish his flanking movement on Wyrshym? It looks to me like a long way. I wonder if he can get there in time to deal with Wyrshym before he is reinforced.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Bahzellstudent   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:35 pm

Bahzellstudent
Lieutenant Commander

David - great to hear the procedure went well, and you are recovering fast; just take it gently! And of course, thank you again for this latest snippet.

Return to Safehold