Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 53 guests

Official HFQ Snippet #25

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Official HFQ Snippet #25
Post by mhicks   » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:27 pm

mhicks
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

JeffEngel wrote:
mhicks wrote:IMHO I think the reason so many hope that the Schueler-of-the-Book and Schueler-of-the-Key are two different people is because we love Paityr Wylsynn so much and see how he is being torn apart even more with the knowledge coming from Kohdy’s diary. We hate to lose him, this might be too much for him if the man he always looked up to and who he wanted to make proud turned out to be a demon who loved to hurt and kill people. I figure the two Shuelers are one in the same until Mr. weber tells us other wise. I know that at work I am one type of person, and at home a totally different one. It is how I get work done. Just as Prices Iris had to come to the realization her father was not perfect and that not everyone got to see the side of his that she did. but what would be more ironic than to have a descendant be the one to bring you down with the tools you left behind to keep the power trip going.

Well - there could be nothing more than a reputation shared between Key-Schueler and Book-Schueler, with Book-Schueler being really Chihiro (for instance) slapping Schueler's name on the book because Real-Schueler had a reputation he could use/smear. I figure that's substantially the "Book/Key Schueler Non-Identity Thesis".

Another possibility - I favor this one - is that Book-Schueler may be a fair representation of Schueler's public career, even if it's not any more Schueler's actual words than the other Writ books are the actual words of their nominal writers (Chihiro excepted), while Key-Schueler represents a later and/or private side of Schueler. Key-Schueler was the man who loved his family and looked back at what he'd done and the substance of the Church he'd help erect and was at least worried about it. That's a lot like your different faces at work and at home, though it's also (I imagine) a whole lot more extreme. (I'm assuming that you're not big on instructing folks how to torture unbelievers to death at work, see, and you'd have to be that for the analogy to work full-force!)

Prince Hector certainly was a better, kinder father than he was a ruler, and a far better, kinder ruler to his people than he was a factor in the lives of other nations' people. But even then, there's not that kind of radical disconnection - there's a gradation of sensibility that drops off as it gets further out. As a prince engaged in the Great Game, alas, Prince Hector's sensibility could drop down to plain ol' villain out there in the world before his power ran out of steam.

It's not so much that we'd rather not see Paityr Wylsynn devastated, for what it would mean to him personally or his role in the world, but rather that the man who would care about his family and set them the charge to guard against Church corruption does not seem like the sort who'd spell out in loving, gruesome detail death by torture for dissident belief. It's hard to buy that any single person, at the very least at the same point in their lives, would be sincerely behind both attitudes. It's not like Prince Hector, either, because Key-Schueler's care went all the way out there into the world, as far as he could charge his family to work it through the policing of the Church and the keeping of its conscience, while Book-Schueler's joy in torture went just as far through the Order and the Book that bear his name. "They" seem to be working at cross-purposes, or at least with radically different attitudes in the same places.

No I don't get paid to torture people, unfortunately. ;)

What if the description of the tortures was a scare tactic the command crew used to keep the world on the straight and narrow path? The command crew had access to all the history records of torture used on old earth, and could have put them in the book as a way to get every one to march in the same direction out of fear, just as a parent does not want to spank a child but will warn them multiple times not to or the spank will happen. The kid crosses the line and the spank is a light one. enough to prove they were not lying.

Schueler may not have realized how far the inquisition would go, using it as a tool to get what they wanted and subjugate people the way a bully does others on the playground (that jerk bully). He was hoping that the ideas of receiving and giving the punishment would be too much that both the sinner and the church member fulfilling the orders. That is why he wanted to send a message to his offspring on how he wanted the inquisition to act.

Return to Safehold