Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 69 guests

Official HFQ Snippet #24

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Official HFQ Snippet #24
Post by xrayangiodoc   » Mon May 11, 2015 10:33 pm

xrayangiodoc
Ensign

Thanks for the snippet! Listen to your Cardiologist. If you should need a pacemaker, don't fight it. Good luck on your workup. Be well! I'm a bit older than you are so I was mostly concerned about me living to see the conclusion of the Safehold Saga (and Honor and Hellsgate, etc.). So take good care of yourself!
Post by n7axw   » Mon May 11, 2015 10:56 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Well, that was interesting, wasn't it?

I'll start off by noting that Sandaria's shock is starting to wear off. And while she is not out of the woods, she seems to be reacting in a thoughtful rather than a hostile way. It's stll too early to predict how it will come out for her, I find myself feeling a bit more opptimistic....

I suppose the big surprise for me was the discussion about the memories being surpressed and then surplanted rather than being erased. It does make sense, but I admit I didn't see it coming...

Poor Khody, the poor guy didn't stand a chance, did he? The command crew fashioned him into a tool they used up and then when he turned up defective, threw him away... I wonder how many other seijin got the same treatment. Except for the foresight of that first Mother Superior who moved the tomb and preserved the journal, his story would have been forever lost.
It makes me a bit angry, but I can't say I'm overly surprised by that.

It leaves me wondering... Could there be other journals of seijin out there as yet undiscovered, preserved by orders like the sisters, or perhaps guarded by families who were the descendants of those seijin... I wonder how they would compare...

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by bunyipbelle   » Mon May 11, 2015 11:36 pm

bunyipbelle
Lieutenant Commander

Thank you RFC for the snippet. Please look after yourself . Best wishes and good luck.
Post by Kytheros   » Mon May 11, 2015 11:45 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:Well, that was interesting, wasn't it?

I'll start off by noting that Sandaria's shock is starting to wear off. And while she is not out of the woods, she seems to be reacting in a thoughtful rather than a hostile way. It's stll too early to predict how it will come out for her, I find myself feeling a bit more opptimistic....

I suppose the big surprise for me was the discussion about the memories being surpressed and then surplanted rather than being erased. It does make sense, but I admit I didn't see it coming...

Poor Khody, the poor guy didn't stand a chance, did he? The command crew fashioned him into a tool they used up and then when he turned up defective, threw him away... I wonder how many other seijin got the same treatment. Except for the foresight of that first Mother Superior who moved the tomb and preserved the journal, his story would have been forever lost.
It makes me a bit angry, but I can't say I'm overly surprised by that.

It leaves me wondering... Could there be other journals of seijin out there as yet undiscovered, preserved by orders like the sisters, or perhaps guarded by families who were the descendants of those seijin... I wonder how they would compare...

Don

I think it's more likely that any Seijin who started to show signs of distrust or more memories coming back than there should have been would have gotten eliminated and then purged from the records, much like was tried with Khody, only apparently more successfully.

@@JeffEngel and Tonto Silerheels
Technically there is a cap on questions per post. It is however many questions you can fit in before you hit the character limit (which itself is reasonably large, though I don't remember what it is).
Post by SYED   » Tue May 12, 2015 12:34 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

I wonder why the seijin journals and diaries were not altered, but simply removed. Were they destroyed, or simply hidden away.
If other seijin could have become paranoid, they might have hidden something away. The men they made into warriors were likely all highly trained soldiers.
I wonder if htey attempted to remove t khody's body with the raikurai as all other attempts to do it secretly failed. THey might have been afraid of what the seigins remembered, and hteir neats might have contained infor, especially if they were used to alter the person.
Post by n7axw   » Tue May 12, 2015 6:44 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

SYED wrote:I wonder why the seijin journals and diaries were not altered, but simply removed. Were they destroyed, or simply hidden away.
If other seijin could have become paranoid, they might have hidden something away. The men they made into warriors were likely all highly trained soldiers.
I wonder if htey attempted to remove t khody's body with the raikurai as all other attempts to do it secretly failed. THey might have been afraid of what the seigins remembered, and hteir neats might have contained infor, especially if they were used to alter the person.

It wouldn't have taken paranoia...only reasonable precaution. Keep your journal with people you trust. And, going to Zion with your unorthodox questions is contraindicated. In short, keeping one's head down to avoid having it lopped off is an old tried and true tactic.

There would have been no need for rakurai. In Zion, they had Kohdy in their power. A needle with an overdose of morphine offered to relax the poor guy's nerves would have done the job nicely.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Re: War Against the Fallen
Post by Rob the Fiend   » Tue May 12, 2015 6:50 am

Rob the Fiend
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Tonto Silerheels wrote:runsforcelery wrote:

There wouldn’t’ve been much the four of them could’ve accomplished, cut off from Alexandria and isolated half a world away from all the rest of the colonists, even if they hadn’t had Shan-wei’s instructions to lie low, survive, and plan for the future.

When I originally read Off Armageddon Reef I thought that the war against the fallen must have been fought between the followers of Pei Shan-wei on one side, and the followers of Langhorne on the other. The followers of Pei Shan-wei would have been the survivors of the Alexandria enclave strike, and the followers of Langhorne would have been the survivors of Pei Kau-yung's vest pocket nuke.

A later snippet made me adjust that to begin thinking it was between two factions of Langhorne's followers, perhaps one led by Scheuler and the other by Chihiro. With this snippet I'm back to the original thoughts.

Is there remaining any reason to believe that Langhorn's followers split into factions? Why would Shan-wei's followers be defeating Langhorne's followers up until the point Langhorne's followers thought to create seijin? Is it because Kau-yung was military and Langhorne was not, so Kau-yung could be expected to be better at striking his enemies? Would a vest pocket nuke leave radioactive contamination in Zion? Am I correct in thinking that the last seijin were all killed because they had knowledge of advanced technology, and Langhorne's followers couldn't allow that knowledge to exist? Is there a maximum number of questions allowed in one post?

~Tonto

Was Langhorne even based in Zion? IIRC the temple was built after Langhorne and friends got toasty.
Post by DianeSilva   » Tue May 12, 2015 7:02 am

DianeSilva
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Dear Mr Weber. Please take care of yourself and get the rest you need. Sometime our bodies have to tell us to slow down. Thank you for a great snippet. I m so looking forward to the book . This series has been awesome
Post by Tonto Silerheels   » Tue May 12, 2015 7:29 am

Tonto Silerheels
Captain of the List

Rob the Fiend wrote:

Was Langhorne even based in Zion? IIRC the temple was built after Langhorne and friends got toasty.

You are correct; the Temple was build after Pai Kau-yung destroyed Langhorne. However, there's a cite in A Mighty Fortreess where it's stated that the Temple was built on the same site as Langhorne's headquarters.

~Tonto
Post by DJMacdonald   » Tue May 12, 2015 8:08 am

DJMacdonald
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Tonto Silerheels wrote:Rob the Fiend wrote:

You are correct; the Temple was build after Pai Kau-yung destroyed Langhorne. However, there's a cite in A Mighty Fortreess where it's stated that the Temple was built on the same site as Langhorne's headquarters.

~Tonto

That is the reason why the plaza in front of the Temple is named "Plaza of the Martyrs". It was ground-zero.

-
-- Duncan

Return to Safehold