Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 62 guests

Official HFQ Snippet #24

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Official HFQ Snippet #24
Post by OrlandoNative   » Mon May 11, 2015 10:28 am

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Sounds like Sharon has read a few of John Ringo's Palladin of Shadows novels :lol:

Even at the cost of a less than perfect attendance record at conventions, it's probably a good idea for some rest and recuperation.

Some fans may be disappointed, but I suspect they'd be even more so if the story lines came to a screeching halt.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Mon May 11, 2015 10:36 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Thank you for the Snippet and I'll join your other fans in saying "Take Care Of Yourself". :)
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by RHWoodman   » Mon May 11, 2015 10:44 am

RHWoodman
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks for the snippet, RFC. Your health is far more important than any convention or any record, so please take care of your health, even if it means missing conventions or slowing down on snippets.
Post by thanatos   » Mon May 11, 2015 11:01 am

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

First, my best wishes to RFC for a speedy recovery. As someone in a family with heart problems I can only say that I wholeheartedly endorse the doctor's and Sharon's position on the matter. And as we say in Hebrew "רפואה שלימה" - "Wishing a Complete Healing".

Second, thanks for the snippet! This looks to be quite a long chapter and I can't wait for our next fix!
Post by Charybdis   » Mon May 11, 2015 11:35 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Like all of the rest, I chime in with best wishes for your health and PLEASE take GOOD CARE of yourself! Remember you have Sharon and your family to take care of and they might desire you to stay around some more. :)

Of course this still leaves the 'Chinese Curse' of your extended readership family. When you got started in 1992 with Honor, and then made it into an institution, you made an implicit promise that we would see it through to the end. However, you, you master-fiend, were not satisfied to start just one open-ended story arc, you then opened up with Bahzell as well and added Prince Roger and Colin the First and Arcana and now we have Safehold as well as dabbling in 1632, Vampires, Furies and I know there are Lions and Tigers, Oh MY somewhere in there! :P

So PLEASE, PLEASE take very good care as I would like to see these series finished BY YOU and available for me to read down here and not only available in the Celestial Library with the latest Heinlein, Zelazny, Piper and the others! :mrgreen:
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by OrlandoNative   » Mon May 11, 2015 11:53 am

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Charybdis wrote:Like all of the rest, I chime in with best wishes for your health and PLEASE take GOOD CARE of yourself! Remember you have Sharon and your family to take care of and they might desire you to stay around some more. :)

Of course this still leaves the 'Chinese Curse' of your extended readership family. When you got started in 1992 with Honor, and then made it into an institution, you made an implicit promise that we would see it through to the end. However, you, you master-fiend, were not satisfied to start just one open-ended story arc, you then opened up with Bahzell as well and added Prince Roger and Colin the First and Arcana and now we have Safehold as well as dabbling in 1632, Vampires, Furies and I know there are Lions and Tigers, Oh MY somewhere in there! :P

So PLEASE, PLEASE take very good care as I would like to see these series finished BY YOU and available for me to read down here and not only available in the Celestial Library with the latest Heinlein, Zelazny, Piper and the others! :mrgreen:

Actually, the first book in both the Dahak series and the Starfire universe series predate the first book in the Honorverse. So they weren't the ones that were actually "added". :lol:
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by abk   » Mon May 11, 2015 12:04 pm

abk
Midshipman

Yes - along with all the rest - here's to a quick and uneventful transition back to your full health! You've provided me days of enjoyment with reading your novels and so the least I can do is send some positive thoughts and prayers your way.

All the best,

ABK
Post by Louis R   » Mon May 11, 2015 12:42 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Inserting a more hopeful note, the incident described needn't indicate any heart disease at all :)

Of course, it could also mean that Himself will be having a pacemaker implanted on Friday, but still...

Meanwhile, on another front, somebody - and I can't remember who it was - owes himself a pat on the back for getting the how & why of Seijin Khody pretty much correct. The one thing I don't recall seeing in the discussion was Spanish as an unintended consequence. Everyone was too busy finding reasons why it made sense.

abk wrote:Yes - along with all the rest - here's to a quick and uneventful transition back to your full health! You've provided me days of enjoyment with reading your novels and so the least I can do is send some positive thoughts and prayers your way.

All the best,

ABK
Post by pokermind   » Mon May 11, 2015 12:47 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

RFC "For example, Sharon has informed me that she has a hammer and I have kneecaps and they could find themselves enjoying a close relationship if I tried to get on the plane after Doctor Stewart tells me I can't go."

Facebook image:

:D RFC, Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by peke   » Mon May 11, 2015 1:06 pm

peke
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Louis R wrote:
Meanwhile, on another front, somebody - and I can't remember who it was - owes himself a pat on the back for getting the how & why of Seijin Khody pretty much correct. The one thing I don't recall seeing in the discussion was Spanish as an unintended consequence. Everyone was too busy finding reasons why it made sense.

peke wrote:
(from snippet #22 thread)

So, it would not be weird that the colonists retained their names from their past lifes. At the very least, it would have meant less paperwork for the mission planners.

Now, as to why Kody has any knowledge of Spanish. This is a WAG, but it's possible that, instead of a full memory wipe, the colonists were instead subject to a more gentle process, perhaps a simple memory block that would stop them from remembering anything from their past existences, and then letting their new life gradually "overwrite" the old. Perhaps the fact that Kody remembered Spanish was just a kink in the process that gave him the abilities to function as a seijin in the war. It's not outside the realm of possibility, if we consider that "the war against the Fallen was not going well", which could have turned the whole process of creating seijins into a rushed affair.

Hah! I got it (mostly) right! Go me. (Pats himself on the back, hard)

Onto really serious things, please please please RFC, take care of yourself. Don't pull a Jordan on us, or a lot more hearts are going to fail as well!
------------------------------------------------------
There is no problem so complex that it cannot be solved through the judicious application of high-power explosives.

Return to Safehold