Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

Official HFQ Snippet #24

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Official HFQ Snippet #24
Post by Kakai   » Sat May 23, 2015 8:54 am

Kakai
Commander

Zarz wrote:
Is anyone else intrigued by this particular quote? From Sandaria's comment, it sounds like Cody had the videoconference call with his wife after she was already dead. How do we explain that?

Interesting. I've assumed that this refers to Cody remembering some details and scenes from his Terran life, such as, in this case, conversation with his (back then, alive and well) wife. If it was some kind of "post-mortem" conversation, though, perhaps Bedard made a back-up copies of colonists' minds in case something went wrong with "reprogramming"? However, I'm not sure why she'd keep them after she was sure that there were no problems.
-----------
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt,
Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

- Ciaphas Cain
Post by Isilith   » Sat May 23, 2015 11:50 am

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

Kakai wrote:
Zarz wrote:
Is anyone else intrigued by this particular quote? From Sandaria's comment, it sounds like Cody had the videoconference call with his wife after she was already dead. How do we explain that?

Interesting. I've assumed that this refers to Cody remembering some details and scenes from his Terran life, such as, in this case, conversation with his (back then, alive and well) wife. If it was some kind of "post-mortem" conversation, though, perhaps Bedard made a back-up copies of colonists' minds in case something went wrong with "reprogramming"? However, I'm not sure why she'd keep them after she was sure that there were no problems.

Could be as simple as a little advanced CGI work. Here is a hologram of his "dead wife" telling him. "Cody, my love. I am here with god and the archangels and we want you to smite the fallen so you can be with us soon."

Do you think that the megalomaniacs that created the CoGA would be above lying like that?
Post by Kakai   » Sat May 23, 2015 2:17 pm

Kakai
Commander

Isilith wrote:Could be as simple as a little advanced CGI work. Here is a hologram of his "dead wife" telling him. "Cody, my love. I am here with god and the archangels and we want you to smite the fallen so you can be with us soon."

Do you think that the megalomaniacs that created the CoGA would be above lying like that?

They certainly wouldn't, and I guess they could add some sort of rudimentary AI for a short two-way conversation.

If that was so, I'm quite surprised that no one - Merlin included - commented on it anyhow. I'd expect stronger reaction for... could you call it "cheating"? Anyway, for doing something like this.
-----------
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt,
Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

- Ciaphas Cain
Post by n7axw   » Sat May 23, 2015 3:22 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Zarz wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:For example, there’s the one on page ninety which certainly seems to be a memory of a video call. He never actually calls it a communicator or a com — he uses the term keitai, which is apparently the word the Order of Chihiro used when it issued coms to the newly created seijins — but Owl and I agree that has to be what he was talking about. His memory simply wasn’t clear enough to describe it fully.”

“I remember the passage you’re talking about,” Sandaria said. “You mean the one where he’s writing about his wife’s ghost, don’t you?”

“Exactly.” Nahrmahn nodded. “From the way he describes seeing her ‘as if in a mirror that lived and spoke’ it’s obvious he wasn’t speaking to her face-to-face, and the only thing we could think of to explain it was a videoconference of some sort. We also checked the original passenger manifests, and we found Cody Cortazar and his wife Sandra listed as colonists in the Zion Enclave. According to Shan-wei’s documentation, however, Sandra was killed less than three years after the colonists were awakened.”

Is anyone else intrigued by this particular quote? From Sandaria's comment, it sounds like Cody had the videoconference call with his wife after she was already dead. How do we explain that? I assume there must be plenty of ways for TF technology to fake a video call with someone, or perhaps someone really did take personality recordings of at least some of the colonists and then put Sandra's into a VR where it could interact with Cody. But if so, why? And did they do it with others? And might any of those VPs still be around somewhere?

Of course, there could be some much simpler explanation. It would certainly have seemed miraculous enough to Seijin Cody to have been talking to his wife in a "mirror" at all. Or perhaps "speaking" is relative and he was only seeing a recording of her. But the way Sandaria says "ghost" I really have to wonder if there's maybe something deeper going on here.

Thoughts, anyone?

I think that we can safely assume that it was a video com that occurred before her death. However with the view of the world that the sisters had, their interpretation of it was the only way they had of getting any sense out of it.

Then, too, remember that Kohdy himself was experiencing some memory issues which Merlin and Nimue identified as happening as a consequence of the attempt to selectively recall the memory of those skills he needed to be a seijin.

Sinse Kodhy would have had the same view of realty as the sisters, his recollection of the memory without any context in which to place it would have confused him, leading him to shop for a way to understand it himself and maybe the ghost in a mirror bit was the best he could do.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Safehold