Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

Official HFQ Snippet #24

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Official HFQ Snippet #24
Post by Henry Brown   » Mon May 11, 2015 3:31 am

Henry Brown
Commodore

Thanks for the snippet RFC. Now please take care of yourself.
Post by Randomiser   » Mon May 11, 2015 4:42 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Thanks for the snippet, RFC. But please consider whether the fans want to see you at these Con's or to have you live a good long time!

You are an excellent writer but totally incorrigible; still with the teasing on the actual content of Khody's diary!

Get well soon.
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon May 11, 2015 5:02 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

I concur with all said above - except that broken knees might well interupt flow of words more than somewhat :D

Having had cardiac problems myself, do engage with any suggestions and rehab courses/excersize classes they might suggest you go to. I feel an aweful lot better for having done so!!

BTW one tiny weeny snippet niggle - the snippet font size is MASSIVE - at least on my monitor/browser
Post by Ed130 The Vanguard   » Mon May 11, 2015 5:58 am

Ed130 The Vanguard
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

isaac_newton wrote:BTW one tiny weeny snippet niggle - the snippet font size is MASSIVE - at least on my monitor/browser

You're not the only one getting a massive font.

Was the last snippet the entirety of chapter 8? Because I was expecting a big earth-shattering kaboom for this preview.
Post by JeffEngel   » Mon May 11, 2015 7:07 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

McGuiness wrote:Oh dear, one of my worst nightmares almost came true! :shock:

RFC, how are we going to know how the story ends if you aren't here to tell us? So please be careful and take good care of yourself!

I side with Sharon - you don't actually need to be able to walk to continue writing... :twisted:

Word. Good luck with the stress test too. Those things are miserable. One good bit of news - you're unlikely to be able to do them with broken knees, so Sharon's threat may be empty that long. :P
Thanks for a very interesting snippet that sheds a great deal of light on the humans who participated in the War Against the Fallen, and just how disorganized the surviving command team was.

When Merlin read the first paragraph of Seijin Kohdy's diary in the last snippet, I kicked myself for not anticipating that Pei's military followers were the most likely candidates to have rebelled against the survivors of the command team. As much as Pei tried to hide it, I suspect his real attitude towards his wife Shan-Wei and her group of techies may well have leaked through to his closest subordinates. It's too bad they didn't have a trained psychologist to help them with the seijins they enlisted from the original colonists either.

Or to help handle their own likely PTSD and depression. The aftermath of the Rakurai and Pei's nuke must have been like another apocalypse, on top of the loss of the Terran Federation, for both/all sides. I'd not expect that any of the "angels" were operating at 100% mental health anymore.

And yes, sympathy for Shan-wei and the Alexandria Enclave probably did run high among Commodore Pei's surviving people. Assuming Nimue Alban was not hugely exceptional in her regard for the Peis, that whole segment of the command crew would likely have been at least restive under Langhorne, which reinforces why he worked up the Rakurai in secret.
Post by BarryKirk   » Mon May 11, 2015 7:43 am

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

RunsInShadows wrote:Keep that ticker tockin'. I think most of us would agree that we'd rather you were home taking it easy than going to a con if your tickers on the fritz. Give Sharon a hug, and tell her thanks for putting her foot down, or hammer as it might be.

Plus 1
Post by PeterZ   » Mon May 11, 2015 8:02 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Please, be well. For the sake of your family take care of your health and be well.
Post by pe249   » Mon May 11, 2015 8:12 am

pe249
Ensign

Just remember that the two most important words in a marriage are:-
"Yes Dear".!!!! Saves a lot of pain.
Post by BobG   » Mon May 11, 2015 8:40 am

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:People —

As some of you may have heard, things have been a little . . . hectic around Casa del Weber the last few days. I more or less collapsed Thursday morning when by a pulse rate bottomed out at around 34 beats per minute. Now, I've always had a relatively low pulse rate, but that was just a tab low even for me. As it happened, two of our close friends who also happened to be EMTs were at the house when this happened, so they hauled out their magic bags, took my pulse, check my blood pressure, listen to my lungs, and then ratted me out to my GP. And he (not too surprisingly, I suppose [he said grudgingly]) sent me to the ER and the ER stuck me in a hospital bed overnight.

They let me go home Friday afternoon, but with a portable cardio monitor that I have to wear 24-hours a day. We have conventions in Canada and Minneapolis coming up over the next two weekends, and we are scheduled to leave for Canada this Thursday. My newly acquired cardiologist understands that it's important for me to make the trip, and he's promised to work with us on that, but he's also made it plain that if the stress tests I'll be undergoing in the next couple of days and the readout from this portable monitor don't make him happy, he's not going to let me go. In which case, these will be the first two scheduled conventions I've missed in 25 years. I am hoping very much to keep my record intact, but things are sort of out of my hands in a lot of ways. For example, Sharon has informed me that she has a hammer and I have kneecaps and they could find themselves enjoying a close relationship if I tried to get on the plane after Doctor Stewart tells me I can't go.

Hi, David

IMHO, it sounds to me like you should skip the trips and get a full workup from your cardiologist before you do anything strenuous - like sitting in an <expletive deleted> airplane seat for multiple hours. Having just returned from my first airline trip in 3 years, I have to say the experience was a lot worse than I remembered - a mime in a box comes to mind. And that was with a boring flight and a nice flight crew.

Anyway, get some rest and figure out what is wrong! Obey your wife and your doc - realistic priorities here :) . Your fans may miss you if you're not there, but they'll miss you a lot more if you get seriously ill or worse. If your writing speed suffers because you need more rest, we'll certainly understand. Your wife and kids need you a lot more than your fans.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by pokermind   » Mon May 11, 2015 9:43 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Dear RFC,

Thanks for the Snippet. Please take care of yourself and your family.

Dear fellow fans,

A prayer for RFC's health and that of his family, and peace and comfort for his stressed family couldn't hurt. ;)

Poker Image
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.

Return to Safehold