Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #23

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #23
Post by OrlandoNative   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:15 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

On the subject of railroads, there are *many* places that might benefit within the short term.

Old Charis, for sure. Chisholm, and, for that matter, extending across Raven's Land - would probably make sending supplies towards Siddarmark easier and faster. If one added rails along the Siddarmark canals, the "automotives" could not only haul rail cars of freight, but tow barges as well - far faster than horses or dragons could. And, of course, spurs could go places the canals don't. Would make responding to AOG attacks much easier.

Corisande is large enough to benefit from a rail system as well.

The one good thing about a rail system is it's ability to more easily transport "heavy" goods - something that may become critical as more "heavy metal" workings (armor for ships, completed naval and land artillery, etc) continue to be produced and need to be shipped on to their final destinations.

And even if it takes a while to produce enough "automotives" for use everywhere, just laying the tracks makes sense - one could, in a pinch, haul lighter "rail cars" with draft animals until an engine could be produced to replace them.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by Kytheros   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:20 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

dwileye13 wrote:
Kakai wrote:Thanks for the snippet! I was hoping for more Cody Cortazar, but who am I to complain...

Shotguns indeed... :mrgreen: I wonder whether they'd actually be ready in time for this war. I guess there's not much point mentioning them now if they are only used in the "twenty years later" arc, but then, with all that Howsmyn has on his head right now, the sheer time it will take to produce them in sufficient quantity (not to mention shipping them to the frontlines) could preclude them from appearing in HFQ.

May not be very difficult at all, the barrels are smooth bore, Stocks and trigger mechanisms are being produced, The Ammo is simpler and less metals dependent. A pump mechanism will help develop better shell ejection leading to semi-auto development. I cannot see a problem or much difficulty.

The first shotguns might or might not be pumps - depends on how quickly they can work out the mechanism. A break-action would be relatively easy, and faster than a pump action, though since they have bolt action rifles, a pump action should be relatively quick to figure out.
Nevermind, they'll be rolling pump actions. Which will no doubt make urban/close combat a lot easier by the time it comes to take Zion and the Temple.
Post by JeffEngel   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:21 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

Undercover Fat Kid wrote:That's why I get giddy about a pump shotgun :-)

Rate of fire and ruggedness would make them delightful for marine use. Relatively short range and inaccuracy wouldn't be much of a problem. And training someone to use a shotgun adequately has to be much, much easier than training them to use a rifle or even pistol well, so they'd be good for merchant ship self-defense and backup weapons for artillery crews and whatever non-dragoon cavalry may continue to exist.
Post by Hildum   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Hildum
Captain (Junior Grade)

I fear this snippet reveals a continuity error, if this really is the invention of shotguns. I think HFF? mentions shotguns when Cayleb is complaining about the parrot stealing nuts. Since he was speaking in a group that included people outside the innermost circle, this would not have been a reference to TF technology, but should have been a reference to something that already existed on Safehold.
Post by Kytheros   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:31 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Hildum wrote:I fear this snippet reveals a continuity error, if this really is the invention of shotguns. I think HFF? mentions shotguns when Cayleb is complaining about the parrot stealing nuts. Since he was speaking in a group that included people outside the innermost circle, this would not have been a reference to TF technology, but should have been a reference to something that already existed on Safehold.

Such a shotgun would not be a cartridge shotgun, but rather loose powder, and then buckshot (possibly in some sort of packing, loaded through the muzzle. Think traditional muzzleloading musket, except instead of a single large ball, a bunch of tiny ones, getting pushed down the barrel
Post by JeffEngel   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:45 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

Kytheros wrote:
Hildum wrote:I fear this snippet reveals a continuity error, if this really is the invention of shotguns. I think HFF? mentions shotguns when Cayleb is complaining about the parrot stealing nuts. Since he was speaking in a group that included people outside the innermost circle, this would not have been a reference to TF technology, but should have been a reference to something that already existed on Safehold.

Such a shotgun would not be a cartridge shotgun, but rather loose powder, and then buckshot (possibly in some sort of packing, loaded through the muzzle. Think traditional muzzleloading musket, except instead of a single large ball, a bunch of tiny ones, getting pushed down the barrel

For a bit more on at least one representative of this species of firearm, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blunderbuss
Post by peke   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:50 pm

peke
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Marty wrote:The shotgun will come in handy during the Safehold Zombie Apocalypse. :mrgreen:

Safehold's already brimming with zombies. Their particular flavor of zombie-ness is usually called "religious zealotry". :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
------------------------------------------------------
There is no problem so complex that it cannot be solved through the judicious application of high-power explosives.
Post by Charybdis   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:33 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Referencing 'Automobiles' - a distinct and on-going advantage belonging to Charis is the knowledge of track methodology and system optimization in networks that does not have to be re-discovered. Where the CoGA would see a 'heavy-lift' single rail line connecting 2 points and then expanding organically, Charis with the deep historical knowledge will be starting with bypass track and rail yards with donkey engines and roundhouses. The Go4 won't know which way to go other than to the infernal regions!
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by dwileye13   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:03 pm

dwileye13
Captain of the List

This is a ammunition development not a gun development. Like has been said, Marines and Trench/Gun Pit fighters will benefit.
I am not young enough to know everything!
Post by dwileye13   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:10 pm

dwileye13
Captain of the List

Charybdis wrote:Referencing 'Automobiles' - a distinct and on-going advantage belonging to Charis is the knowledge of track methodology and system optimization in networks that does not have to be re-discovered. Where the CoGA would see a 'heavy-lift' single rail line connecting 2 points and then expanding organically, Charis with the deep historical knowledge will be starting with bypass track and rail yards with donkey engines and roundhouses. The Go4 won't know which way to go other than to the infernal regions!

Absolutely correct! :D The EoC hits the ground running on these technological leaps forward which gives the maximum value for the innovations. In the aftermath of the defeat of the CoGA and the religious and economic reformations that follow, The Eoc will be several steps ahead of the rest of Safehold with wealth and influence.
I am not young enough to know everything!

Return to Safehold