Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #22

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #22
Post by Morden   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:11 am

Morden
Lieutenant Commander

drooling with anticipation does not even cut it!

this sort of deliciously devious teaser is one of the things that makes it such an amazing experience to have such an incredible author interact with his fans!

I cannot wait to hear what comes next
Post by Bluenoser   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:58 am

Bluenoser
Ensign

First, thanks for this snippet RFC, and enjoy the Con!

Second, this finally confirms what has long been speculation, that the Seijin were actually created by the Church at its beginnings to fight in the War Against the Fallen after the use of the pocket nuke. From the very first book in the series I've wondered about that, since the level of control over the creation of all the conceptual framework of Safeholdian society would not initially have called for such concepts/people within it, so where had the idea come from? I found the idea that they had sprung out of wishful fantastical thinking a bit too hard to swallow given the world RFC had created here, and so I was left to wonder and speculate, and there didn't seem much other explanation than what has finally been revealed.

Granted it had always seemed fairly obvious to me that they were such creations of upgraded Adams for fighting, especially since we knew that the nuke had done so much damage to the Church side of the War that they might well need to create enhanced fighters, but it has been a long road to finally having true confirmation. It had to be Adams because only they had the needed implants to educate them in the use of the "holy" weapons and tools they would need to fight with, especially in a timely enough manner to be of any use, particularly if in the wake of that nuke the Church side was the one losing, as it appears it may have been given this snippet.

I am SOOO looking forward to the next snippet!
Post by lyonheart   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:05 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hello RFC!,

Wow!

Cool!

Neat!

Thanks!

Now we have to wait for another 15 days?

Ugh.

How horrible.

Pain, pain, agony.

But mostly pain. ;)

OTOH, we're going to learn more fun things 15 days from now.

Yes!

L
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by n7axw   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:06 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hello RFC!,

Wow!

Cool!

Neat!

Thanks!

Ugh.

How horrible.

Pain, pain, agony.

But mostly pain. ;)

Yes!

L

Someday, over the rainbow...we get to the Espanol... :lol:

Gteat snippet... Thanks RFC

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:58 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hello RFC!,

Wow!

Cool!

Neat!

Thanks!

Ugh.

How horrible.

Pain, pain, agony.

But mostly pain. ;)

Yes!

L

'Bout time for a cut to BGV or some place else.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:02 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Thank you very much RFC, this certainly clears up a lot of the mystery.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:13 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Thank You and enjoy the con. :D :D :D :D
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:25 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

My question would be "are they are actually Kau-yung's forces or is that just what they were called?"

tootall wrote:Some of Kau-yung's folks "apparently" survived to fight Langhorne's followers. I note that he doesn't say that the war is against Shan-wei. So we can't be sure- yet- exactly the politics of those he's being tasked to fight.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Kytheros   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:09 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:My question would be "are they are actually Kau-yung's forces or is that just what they were called?"

tootall wrote:Some of Kau-yung's folks "apparently" survived to fight Langhorne's followers. I note that he doesn't say that the war is against Shan-wei. So we can't be sure- yet- exactly the politics of those he's being tasked to fight.

Exactly what I was going to ask.

Everyone who was on the loosing side who wasn't 'rehabilitated' back to the winning side would have been written in the official histories as a follower of Shan-wei or Kau-yung. History is, after all, written by the victors.

I suspect that the fighting between the nuke survivors didn't start immediately, and there was some measure of widely agreed upon statements made, officially placing the blame on Shan-wei and Kau-yung. Thus, most, if not all, the surviving 'Angels' would have been painting their opponents' factions as those who were in support of Kau-yung and Shan-wei, in order to retain popular support.
Some, namely those who actually supported Kau-yung, would have tried to lay blame specifically at the feet of their opponents, rather than saying they were followers of the traitors Kau-yung and Shan-wei and therefore evil.
Post by Damonby   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:12 am

Damonby
Lieutenant Commander

Thank you RFC for the snippet. I am really enjoying this series and can't wait for the book.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but my understanding is that a wakazashi is a SHORT, curved sword; a katana is a LONG, curved sword. No nit will remain unpicked.

Also, I find it interesting that the implication is that after some unspecified Adams were made aware of part of their real history, BOTH sides seem to have agreed to use archaic weapons in the War of the Fallen. Why else would Kohdy be armed with a sword and armored like a knight? Did both sides fight without using energy/kinetic weapons in the hope that the original mission could be preserved and that the majority of Safehold Adams and Eves could be kept ignorant of the truth?

Great series, can't wait for more.
Last edited by Damonby on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Safehold