Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #22

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #22
Post by ChaChaCharms   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:21 am

ChaChaCharms
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Well its great to have you in the Cornhusker state RFC!
Post by pokermind   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:31 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

The journal may contain critical information about the OBS probably in the Spanish parts. The continuation of the journal is awaited but, RFC might not give us this critical part as too much of a spoiler.

“The fight against Kau-yung’s followers was not going well, and . . . .”

The reason for the Sejins, the Archangles were getting their ass kicked.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Thrandir   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:48 am

Thrandir
Commander

Thanks RFC

Looking forward to getting my hands on the entire book - like Lyonheart said now wait for another 15 days ... :lol:

Enjoy the Con and try to keep out of trouble
Post by Eagleone 55   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:04 am

Eagleone 55
Ensign

Enjoy the Con RFC.
All I can say about Snippet #22 is WOW great snippet!!!
Post by tootall   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:51 am

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

fallsfromtrees wrote:

'Bout time for a cut to BGV or some place else.

(Good call.)
Given the way Runs For has handled these things in the past, I think we will cut to somewhere else. I hope it's Zion. BVG would be my second choice.
Post by DianeSilva   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:05 pm

DianeSilva
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

NervousEnergy wrote:Thanks for the snippet, and enjoy the con! Wish I was there...

Thank you Mr Weber for this wonderful snippet. This book is going to be an awesome read. This series is just the best ever
Post by hvb   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:58 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

RFC is well aware of that distinction, and I don't see what you are objecting to here.

Kody's sword is not a katana but a straight sword.

Merlin carries two swords: a katana that is only very keen (to keep anyone from wondering about any "demonically perfect edge"), and a wakazashi with such an edge (just in case he needed it after all).

Merlin is comparing the edge of Kody's sword with the edge of his backup blade. The katana he uses as a primary weapon is less keen, so didn't enter the comparison; that doesn't mean he isn't carrying it in the scene (he probably has a revolver or two along as well, that didn't get mentioned as 'not supernaturally keen' either :P ).

"marble impaled by a long, straight bladed sword .. like Damascus steel, but .. made of battle steel .. its edge was every bit as keen as that of the wakazashi riding at Merlin’s hip."

Damonby wrote:[snip]
Not to put too fine a point on it, but my understanding is that a wakazashi is a SHORT, curved sword; a katana is a LONG, curved sword. No nit will remain unpicked.
[snip]
Post by Ed130 The Vanguard   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:42 pm

Ed130 The Vanguard
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Damonby wrote:
Also, I find it interesting that the implication is that after some unspecified Adams were made aware of part of their real history, BOTH sides seem to have agreed to use archaic weapons in the War of the Fallen. Why else would Kohdy be armed with a sword and armored like a knight? Did both sides fight without using energy/kinetic weapons in the hope that the original mission could be preserved and that the majority of Safehold Adams and Eves could be kept ignorant of the truth?

Great series, can't wait for more.

From an earlier snippet (snippet 5) believe that Khody mainly faced other Adam's. I suspect he and the other sejins were auxiliary forces alongside the remaining lesser angels and whatever was mentioned in snippet 5. "The servitors who’d fought for the Archangels had largely withdrawn to the Dawn Star," I'm guessing UAV or some kind of tank drone?

Plus if you think back apart from the TFMS Hamilcar (the last remaining colony transport) where else could the fallen get advanced equipment? The Administration centre and the Alexandria Enclave were both destroyed and I doubt Langhorne would want any sort of manufacturing equipment where the new locals could get at it. History shows that Chihiro and Schueler managed to take or already controled the Hamilcar, forcing the fallen to make do with what they had.
Post by Henry Brown   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:20 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

thank you for the snippet. :)
Post by Hooked   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:11 pm

Hooked
Ensign

Thank you for the snippet. A nice weekend treat! :)

Return to Safehold