Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 69 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #22

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #22
Post by Joat42   » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:18 am

Joat42
Admiral

BobG wrote:..snip..
I'm still very curious why they initiated a KEW strike on Cody's apparent tomb and followers. Why not just let the sect die out? Why not send a Seijin or a force to kill the sisters? What justified the KEW strike?

I have to assume that something justified that. Was it concerns that Cody might have a journal? Something material that he had? I doubt the latter, because they returned his body. And why did they return his sword?

Something just isn't right about that.
..snip..
-- Bob G

Since Kohdy had a NEAT they probably dumped his memory before killing him. While sifting through his memories after sending his body back they discovered that he had a written journal. The only way to deal with that was to eradicate the Sisterhood and their monastery including his grave in the hopes the journal and any knowledge about it was also destroyed.

The sword and his armor didn't really matter so why not sending it back which is customary with warriors, not sending them back would have raised unnecessary questions at that time anyway.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:52 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

BobG wrote:Did you mean KEW strike, not KEY strike?

I'm still very curious why they initiated a KEW strike on Cody's apparent tomb and followers. Why not just let the sect die out? Why not send a Seijin or a force to kill the sisters? What justified the KEW strike?

I have to assume that something justified that. Was it concerns that Cody might have a journal? Something material that he had? I doubt the latter, because they returned his body. And why did they return his sword?

Something just isn't right about that.

On a slightly different subject, I am curious what would have happened if Merlin had woken up when the war started after Langhorne's death. Or even if there had been secret access to his cave. According to the book, the faithful were losing the war at one point. Would Merlin and/or access to his cave have made a significant difference? And what, if anything, would that have meant?

Yes, a KEW would have taken out Merlin. So maybe it would have been less significant. But access to the learning machines? Would that have made a difference?

For that matter, did the Archangels kill all the implanted troops after the war was over, to removing their memories of advanced technology?

Too many questions. We have to wait for Merlin to translate Cody's journal, and I'm sure David will cut off the snippet contained the translation just as we get to the good part :)

-- Bob G

I did mean KEW, Bob.

I think the KEW strike suggests that Chihiro and Schuler did not see eye to eye on everything towards the end. Returning the body suggests one of the two was not as bloody minded as the other who likely did order the KEW strike.

The more interesting thing is why kill Cody? If Schuler or Chihiro had a NEAT, they could have extracted the information from him. If NEATs could teach or insert information into a human mind, they could also extract information. I assume that both Schuler and Chihiro knew what Cody knew. Why kill him and not re-re-reprogram him to be more supportive of the CoGA?
Post by BobG   » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:21 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

Joat42 wrote:Since Kohdy had a NEAT they probably dumped his memory before killing him. While sifting through his memories after sending his body back they discovered that he had a written journal. The only way to deal with that was to eradicate the Sisterhood and their monastery including his grave in the hopes the journal and any knowledge about it was also destroyed.

The sword and his armor didn't really matter so why not sending it back which is customary with warriors, not sending them back would have raised unnecessary questions at that time anyway.

I hadn't thought that they might have dumped his memory before killing him. Your idea make a lot of sense.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by BobG   » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:26 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:I did mean KEW, Bob.

I think the KEW strike suggests that Chihiro and Schuler did not see eye to eye on everything towards the end. Returning the body suggests one of the two was not as bloody minded as the other who likely did order the KEW strike.

The more interesting thing is why kill Cody? If Schuler or Chihiro had a NEAT, they could have extracted the information from him. If NEATs could teach or insert information into a human mind, they could also extract information. I assume that both Schuler and Chihiro knew what Cody knew. Why kill him and not re-re-reprogram him to be more supportive of the CoGA?

I suspect that a partial erase of someone's memory isn't possible with the NEAT, it is more or less all or nothing. I also suspect that with Bedard dead, their capability to manipulate memories were further reduced.

I did like Joat42's suggestion that they dumped his memory before they killed him, but didn't review it until later. That would explain why they used a KEW to take out his followers and tomb. I can imagine someone reviewing his memories a while later, possibly to write a history of the war, and discovering he had written a journal.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:47 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

BobG wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I did mean KEW, Bob.

I suspect that a partial erase of someone's memory isn't possible with the NEAT, it is more or less all or nothing. I also suspect that with Bedard dead, their capability to manipulate memories were further reduced.

I did like Joat42's suggestion that they dumped his memory before they killed him, but didn't review it until later. That would explain why they used a KEW to take out his followers and tomb. I can imagine someone reviewing his memories a while later, possibly to write a history of the war, and discovering he had written a journal.

-- Bob G

I can see that line of speculation. Also, whoever reprogrammed Cody the first time might have also died or was the one that did the imperfect job (intentionally?). to begin with. I agree that casualties might have degraded the Command Team's capabilities.
Post by NinaKatarina   » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:55 pm

NinaKatarina
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:...She was in her mid-fifties, two or three years older than Aivah, with dark hair beginning to show broad swaths of silver and eyes the color of a clear winter sky... ..”

I thought blue eyes were unheard of on Safehold? Or was that only Nimue's particular shade of blue?
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:11 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi NinaKatarina,

Nice to see your post after a long time.

Blue eyed red haired folks are known to come from around the 'mountains of light', which is why Nimue could keep her eye color while switching from dark to red, while other blue eyed various haired persons are often seen in Siddarmark, and while we don't know the blue eyed frequency in the Border States, I suspect its even higher.

Keep smiling,

L

NinaKatarina wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:...She was in her mid-fifties, two or three years older than Aivah, with dark hair beginning to show broad swaths of silver and eyes the color of a clear winter sky... ..”

I thought blue eyes were unheard of on Safehold? Or was that only Nimue's particular shade of blue?
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Well, it's fast, clean, and definitely no question would remain about the situation; the Rakurai strike is the clear demonstration that the God himself decided to interfer.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by n7axw   » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:59 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi NinaKatarina,

Nice to see your post after a long time.

Blue eyed red haired folks are known to come from around the 'mountains of light', which is why Nimue could keep her eye color while switching from dark to red, while other blue eyed various haired persons are often seen in Siddarmark, and while we don't know the blue eyed frequency in the Border States, I suspect its even higher.

Keep smiling,

L

Didn't that young lady whom Ahnzelyk introduced to Seijin Abrahaim that first night he arrived in her establishment in Zion have reddish hair with blue eyes? I think she was from Silkiah....

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Bahzellstudent   » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Bahzellstudent
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks RFC - another great snippet; particularly well chosen set of hints and the cliff-hanger at the end!

Return to Safehold