Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 72 guests

HQ Snippet #21 3-27-15

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HQ Snippet #21 3-27-15
Post by n7axw   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:57 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:
n7axw wrote:Larry, the choice to go into cryo will be Sandaria's. She has been promised that and Merlin won't go back on his word.

Don

For that matter, they wouldn't be speculating about her ability to adjust if she were put in cryo: it'd be a simple non-issue. So she's conscious and interacting and with an opportunity to adjust, now - just in confinement.

It doesn't speak poorly of her. Just about everyone else introduced to the falsehood of the Writ - either through Merlin or St. Zherneau - has been prepped for it and not told til there was reason to think they could handle it. Even Nynian was self-prepped in a way, figuring out how much outside Safehold's capabilities, even for seijin, Merlin had.

Sandaria wasn't picked for special ability to handle it - SSK background may help there, but as others have said, it may just make someone more sure they can't be further surprised. And even other "emergency" subjects of revelation - Cayleb, Sharleyan, Edwyrd Seahamper, Hector, Irys - had a whole lot more familiarity with seijin Merlin's repertoire and credit as one of the good guys, and in several of those cases (Sharleyan particularly) were due to be told soon anyway.

So she's experiencing something a lot like what the Brotherhood has been doing for generations: after you tell someone, you spend a good long while keeping an eye on them and making sure they can't spread the word or do anything drastic.

Just two points here... Actually Sandaria had been exposed to a similar experience when she was first recruited for the SSK. She had been asked to submit to a viewpoint that was not approved by the church and had a perspective that is deviant from the mainstream orthodoxy. That included knowledge that the Testimonies had been "creatively edited" and committed her to the reverance of a saint not on the "approved list." While certainly not insignificant, this obviously was not as sweeping as Merlin's revelation. But it was still preparation, of a sort, for being exposed to what Merlin had to say.

Secondly, Sandaria shouldn't be written off yet. Time and exposure to other members of the inner circle as well as being treated respectfully could well have their impact. I still would like to see Father Paityr visit the cave. I think that could have a very beneficial effect.

Otherewise, I am gloating a bit. I turned out to be right about Nynian. Sandaria not so much, although my prediction there wasn't made with much confidence.

Finally the description of the scenery made me homesick for the mountains of Southwest Montana. I remember the Spanish Peaks almost due south of Bozeman.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Kakai   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:29 pm

Kakai
Commander

Thank you, RFC! :D

Was the "speculate not" warning against future plot points or shipping? Because on any other forum I'd say shipping, but here I'm pretty confident folks will forget about it in a moment in favour of yet another round of Siddarmark War-The Big Reveal-Things Under The Temple discussion. :lol:

On an unrelated note, I wonder what will the Sisters think about Merlin. I understand that this is all-female abbey, so I must admit I'd find it a bit strange if they admit male guests. Although maybe I just don't know abbeys. But still, what will they think of the infamous "Demon Athrawes" who has some ground-shaking news about the universe and the ability to translate the previously-untranslatable Spanish? Will they stare curiously or will they try to kick him out of the abbey? Or is the in-abbey civil war coming?

Well, I guess (or hope, at least) that Aivah won't make it into a general declaration but will rather start with some higher-ranking nuns first and "field-test" the Truth.

Either way, I like it that there's a nice side-plot shaping up after two last books dealt almost exclusively with war.
-----------
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt,
Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

- Ciaphas Cain
Post by Hooked   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Hooked
Ensign

for the post, Gracias
expecting no speculation, that is true fiction! :lol:
Hoping for good health to you and yours.
Post by SYED   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:31 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

What if merlin provides them with a fully translated copy of Khodys book? If he also provides them with an espanol guide for themselves, it makes their translation more believable. It would be very tricky to alter the text, without creating inconsistancies. They are a bunch of smart women, they know the book by heart. So it would have a very good fake to trick them, a guide to translate it, would also help them to be more convinced.

They might not believe in merlin, but they would believe in khody.

Imagine the mother superior of this order, with access to merlin's surveilance system. The inquisition thinks they had issues before, they will be beggining for those happy days to return.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:13 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

SYED wrote:What if merlin provides them with a fully translated copy of Khodys book? If he also provides them with an espanol guide for themselves, it makes their translation more believable. It would be very tricky to alter the text, without creating inconsistancies. They are a bunch of smart women, they know the book by heart. So it would have a very good fake to trick them, a guide to translate it, would also help them to be more convinced.

They might not believe in merlin, but they would believe in khody.

Imagine the mother superior of this order, with access to merlin's surveilance system. The inquisition thinks they had issues before, they will be beggining for those happy days to return.

I suspect that is what we get next unless this next snippet takes us up to BGV or elsewhere. What actually turns up in the Spanish translation of Kodhy's journal I am waiting with eager anticipation to know. How Nynian and the sisters react will be even more interesting...

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Philip Stanley   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:33 pm

Philip Stanley
Lieutenant Commander

Just out of idle curiosity I've spliced together the 21 sequential snippets, put them in an appropriate typeface, and adjusted my margins so that the text block size just about the actual size used in the books. It looks like we're already about 75 pages into HFQ.

Interesting, Huh!

Philip Stanley
Post by Peter2   » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:30 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Philip Stanley wrote:Just out of idle curiosity I've spliced together the 21 sequential snippets, put them in an appropriate typeface, and adjusted my margins so that the text block size just about the actual size used in the books. It looks like we're already about 75 pages into HFQ.

Interesting, Huh!

Philip Stanley

75 pages, with probably another 500+ to come . . . Yum! *licks lips* :D

Thank you, RFC!

P.S. Yes. I'm really looking forward to any excerpts from the "Kohdy papers". History is written by the winners, it is said. The papers may well give us insight into the War of the Fallen from the losers' point of view. I hope so, anyway.
Post by anwi   » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:51 am

anwi
Commander

n7axw wrote:I suspect that is what we get next unless this next snippet takes us up to BGV or elsewhere. What actually turns up in the Spanish translation of Kodhy's journal I am waiting with eager anticipation to know.

Due to the heading of the section, I'm confident we'll get an extended scene at the abbey, and we'll wait after Easter for news on the war, while Ahlverez is probably stuck starving in the wilderness until Pentecoste.
Speculating a bit, there will be an at least minor reveal at the abbey, and it'll be interesting to see how the sisters split in their attitude to Aivah's direction.
Moreover, Khody's grave and journal should feature at least in the snippet after the next.
Now, going a bit further at our own peril: The monastery was erected at the (presumptively) former vacation abode of Langhorne himself. It's probably fair to say that Merlin is the first one to visit there since the monastery was started, who has knowledge in and access to Federation tech. I wonder, might there be - incidentally - something interesting about or even from Langhorne, like computer files, tech relicts, hidden rooms in the cellar?
Post by JeffEngel   » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:31 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

anwi wrote:Due to the heading of the section, I'm confident we'll get an extended scene at the abbey, and we'll wait after Easter for news on the war, while Ahlverez is probably stuck starving in the wilderness until Pentecoste.

Gracious, that's taking fasting mighty seriously....
Post by n7axw   » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:38 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:
anwi wrote:Due to the heading of the section, I'm confident we'll get an extended scene at the abbey, and we'll wait after Easter for news on the war, while Ahlverez is probably stuck starving in the wilderness until Pentecoste.

Gracious, that's taking fasting mighty seriously....

Yeah,.about like the biblical 40 days and 40 nights...

Don

Return to Safehold