Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #20

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #20
Post by Captain Igloo   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Captain Igloo
Captain (Junior Grade)

FYI, during the ACW the specified number of rounds carried by each caisson and its limber was: for 6-pounder guns - 150 rounds; for 12-pounder guns - 96 rounds; for 12-pounder howitzers - 117 rounds; for 24-pounder howitzers - 69 rounds; and for 32-pounder howitzers - 45 rounds. The number of caissons assigned to field batteries were: with a battery of 12-pounders - eight caissons for guns and four for howitzers; with a battery of 6-pounders - four caissons for guns and two for howitzers.

Source: Civil War Artillery

During the Wilderness-Spotsylvania campaign basic ammunition load (half at guns, half in trains) was about 256 rds for a 12-pdr smooth-bore Napoleon. Grant had about 316 artillery pieces available in 1864.
Post by isaac_newton   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:24 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

tootall wrote:Well, I have to admit how wrong I was about the condition of his troops.
I recall that he took his supply train with him when he began his retreat and that he had several "intact" units left from the disaster. I assumed that he still had a "force in being". Guess not.
And given the state of his men, I don't know how they're going 300-500 miles more.
To quote another who sometimes posts here:

"BLEEK!"

Thanks RFC! :-)

Well, I expect that he may well only have had part of his full supply train given the emergency exit, and also that train would no longer be receiving the contat supplies it had beffore the battle in Kyplynger Forest, so it would run down fairly quickly I guess!
Post by Earldrygulch   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Earldrygulch
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

n7axw wrote:Thanks for a great snippet. So much for throwing pontoon bridges across the Seridahn. Oh well, Don proposes, RFC disposes... :lol:

Wow. He's outlined himself quite a hike. Does anybody remember if Ft. Sheldyn is in allied hands? If so, that could be the end of Ahlverez's walk...

If he makes it past the high road and Ft. Sheldyn to Alyksberg, I wonder if he'll still have an army with him...Bet not more than half of current strength.

Don

There is a thin line between defeatism and realism. I see surrender in his future. Especially since he is worrying about his men and about the Inquisition.
Post by ksandgren   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:31 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks for the snippet RFC!

I'm in agreement with Don for a change about the state of Alverez's forces - but already I hunger for another snippet.
Post by Alistair   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:35 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

M
other Church had assured him the Charisians had nowhere near that many available for service in Siddarmark, and if the Inquisition’s information had been so thoroughly wrong about that, what else had it been wrong about?

There was no way to answer that question — yet,

It seems the good General is starting to develop independent thinking putting his men above himself and the wishes of an Evil temple.

It will be interesting to see what further developments happen with his thinking on his road home.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:39 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

ksandgren wrote:Thanks for the snippet RFC!

I'm in agreement with Don for a change about the state of Alverez's forces - but already I hunger for another snippet.

IIRC, Alyksberg was the city he took when he first entered Siddarmark and got all those men on the wall blown up when the remnant of the garrison blew the wall out from under his assault.

I'm wondering who is there to greet him. If Dohlar left behind a garrison to hold it, it couldn't have been very large. If they left it to the remnants of the natives, I bet they'll be having thoughts of turn about being fair play. Ahlverez don't look very high on the hog now.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by pokermind   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:05 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Reduced map linked by SYED to help discussions.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Peter2   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:17 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

From the tone of this snippet, I strongly suspect that Ahlvarez is not going to be able to get his army back to any place it can find succour. In fact, their wholesale capture by the ICA might be the best thing that could happen to them. They're an awfully long way from home and what might turn out to be a very harsh welcome indeed. Clyntahn strikes me as just the sort of man who would delight in shooting the messenger "pour encourager les autres", as the saying has it.

Their capture might be a GOOD THING for Merlin's long-term plans, because he's going to need intelligent commanders whose skills have been tempered in the fires of real battle. There's Ahlvarez and there's Thirsk, and there may be others . . .

I wonder if there's any chance of Aivah Pahrsahn's organisation getting Thirsk and his family out from under the baleful eyes of their Inquisition guards? I would positively revel in reading RFC's description of Clyntahn's reaction to that! :lol:
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:27 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Peter2 wrote:
I wonder if there's any chance of Aivah Pahrsahn's organisation getting Thirsk and his family out from under the baleful eyes of their Inquisition guards?

No. :P :twisted: :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by McGuiness   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:47 pm

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

tootall wrote:Well, I have to admit how wrong I was about the condition of his troops.
I recall that he took his supply train with him when he began his retreat and that he had several "intact" units left from the disaster. I assumed that he still had a "force in being". Guess not.
And given the state of his men, I don't know how they're going 300-500 miles more.
To quote another who sometimes posts here:

"BLEEK!"
Ah, to be plagiarized, the highest token of respect! :lol:

Since RFC invented "Bleek" I can't really accuse you of plagiarism, although I'd have phrased it something like "It looks like Ahlverez's prospects are . . . Bleek!"

However, since you alluded to how I rather enjoyed my identity as Nimitz13 on Eric Flint's site, I guess that makes me an educated source, so you're merely citing my work rather than stealing my words. ;)

Bleek! :twisted:

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.

Return to Safehold