Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Naval Action - Age of Sails - coming game

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Naval Action - Age of Sails - coming game
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:16 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

saber964 wrote:
Senior Chief wrote:Do not forget "Form line of battle" another Minature board game that is much better than "Wooden ships and Iron Men."

WS&IM was designed as a beginner level game, and with a few modifications easily adaptable to table top. It was onr of the very first war games I ever purchased. (I still own that original set.(1982))

Wooden Ships & Iron Men is an adaptation of Juggernaut's miniatures game Ship of the Line which was designed by Craig S. Taylor back in the 1970s. If you go hunt up a copy of the original Juggernaut rules, you will find a list of contributors and play testers from an even earlier version of SotL, and on that list you will find a young whippersnapper by the name of David Weber.

I still have the scratch built balsa miniatures of the entire Spanish Navy (circa 1800), the entire US Navy (above schooners, and some of them) from 1812-14, five squadrons of the Royal British Navy, the entire Russian (Baltic) line of battle from 1805-1815, and five squadrons of the French Navy circa 1805.

Ah, the memories! :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Darman   » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:45 am

Darman
Commander

in other words... you'd love a computer game that does all this instantly ;)

Post by Bruno Behrends   » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:11 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

Oh, wow!

I mean not only the play-testing but those balsa ships!

I still have maybe 2 dozen british, french and spanish ships of the line and a handful of frigates which I cast in tin for WS&IM and then painted. The masts are needles and the sails paper lmao.

Got the game from like the only store which sold such stuff in Berlin back in the 80s.

Memories, yeah :P

runsforcelery wrote:
Wooden Ships & Iron Men is an adaptation of Juggernaut's miniatures game Ship of the Line which was designed by Craig S. Taylor back in the 1970s. If you go hunt up a copy of the original Juggernaut rules, you will find a list of contributors and play testers from an even earlier version of SotL, and on that list you will find a young whippersnapper by the name of David Weber.

I still have the scratch built balsa miniatures of the entire Spanish Navy (circa 1800), the entire US Navy (above schooners, and some of them) from 1812-14, five squadrons of the Royal British Navy, the entire Russian (Baltic) line of battle from 1805-1815, and five squadrons of the French Navy circa 1805.

Ah, the memories! :lol:

Return to Safehold