Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 57 guests

HFQ Offical Snippet #18

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Offical Snippet #18
Post by AirTech   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:05 am

AirTech
Captain of the List

gcomeau wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Guys ---

I'm very sorry for how late this one is coming in. Sharon has been really, really sick for the last couple of weeks with a respiratory problem that just isn't going away, and while she's been under the weather, I've had to pick up and carry a lot of other balls. There just haven't been enough hours in a day to keep up with everything, I'm afraid. Anyway, this one's a bit longer as a sort of consolation prize.

As explanations for keeping us addicts waiting goes I'm pretty sure everyone here will be agreed that that's more than justified your absence... hope things are improving.

And as a consolation prize for the M96 rifles he hadn’t received, Ehdwyrd Howsmyn had sent along eight hundred additional six-inch shells, with even more in the supply chain behind them . . . and just under a hundred tons of Sahndrah Lywys’ newest brainchild. On a pound-for-pound basis, Lywysite was roughly two and a half times as powerful as black powder, because the shock wave of its detonation propagated at over twenty-three thousand feet per second while black powder’s detonation velocity was less than two thousand. That gave Lewysite a much greater shattering effect, and since it weighed twice as much per cubic inch, the same weight charge could be packed into half the volume. And that meant it could be formed into neat sticks, ten inches long and one and a quarter inches in diameter, each of which weighed just under twenty ounces . . . and packed the effectiveness of over three pounds of black powder into barely fifteen percent of the black powder’s volume.

Hmmm... Nitroglycerin? No visual description of the substance itself but the packing into sticks suggests someone just re-invented some variant of dynamite?

C-4 is closer to the numbers...
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:39 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Best wishes for you and Sharon.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by McGuiness   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:01 am

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:In LAMA, Aug 896, Chapter 5, there is a comment that Lywys was about ready to produce dynamite - basically Nobel's original formulation (which used nitro) with diatomaceous earth as a stabilizer. So that is undoubtedly what is being talked about here.
Best wishes to Sharon for a speedy recovery, and please don't mind our impatience. The health of a loved one always takes precedence over entertaining us! I'm sure you've noted over the years that we do a fairly good job of entertaining ourselves between snippets... ;)

So Hanth has 100 TONS of Lywysite... He could have a lot of fun with that, sneaking commandos in to blow up... supply depots, let's say.

And since Evrytyn is basically a giant pile of supplies, all that Lywysite may come in handy.

Of course those supplies just might be in range of the new shells as well, since the "the mill pond smoothness of the Seridahn River" may allow accurate shooting from a distance of nearly 8 miles... :twisted:

Once shells are developed that use the new explosives, Gorath is going to be toast!

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.
Post by fleadermouse   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:29 am

fleadermouse
Lieutenant Commander

I think we are most likely looking at TNT here not dynamite. The detonation velocity is wrong for dynamite. Standard dynamite is 40% nitro and it detonates at about 15-16,000 fps. Extra dynamite is 60% nitro and detonates at about 19,000 fps. TNT detonates at 22,600fps which fits very nicely with the text.

Secondly, TNT makes a good shell bursting charge dynamite does not.

finally TNT can be formed into shapes like the text indicated. dynamite is nitroglycerin soaked clay (DE) that is packed into cardboard tubes.

Also RDX The active component in C4 detonates at about 29,000 fps which probably disqualifies it from consideration.
Post by Alistair   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:30 am

Alistair
Rear Admiral

Thank you for the snippet my thoughts and prayer echo the many many comments already posted.
Post by Randomiser   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:29 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Prayers for and best wishes to Sharon. Hope you and the children keep well.

Enjoyed the snippet. Only problem is it stopped :D
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:58 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Randomiser wrote:Prayers for and best wishes to Sharon. Hope you and the children keep well.

Enjoyed the snippet. Only problem is it stopped :D

!!!

BTW does anyone know of a graphic or old photo of what they think these new guns might look like?
Post by Peter2   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:58 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Graydon wrote:
Hope Sharon's recovery is prompt and comprehensive.

(Snippets are nice. Snippets are not necessary.)

I couldn't have phrased it better. You take care of Sharon, RFC – we can wait, no matter how long it takes.

And many thanks for the snippet!
Post by Undercover Fat Kid   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:14 am

Undercover Fat Kid
Commander

Let me add my best wishes to everyone else's.

The way the perspective keeps jumping makes me think of all the old movies with nukes. This boon is going to be EPIC!
Death is as a feather,
Duty is as a mountain
This life is a dream
From which we all
Must wake
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:19 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

As Peter stated I shall rePete. Sharon, your children and you are in our prayers.

Peter2 wrote:
Graydon wrote:
Hope Sharon's recovery is prompt and comprehensive.

(Snippets are nice. Snippets are not necessary.)

I couldn't have phrased it better. You take care of Sharon, RFC – we can wait, no matter how long it takes.

And many thanks for the snippet!

Return to Safehold