Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #17

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #17
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:30 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Duckk wrote:There was a convention in Ohio I didn't know about? Noooooooooooo!

My bad. The con was in Williamsburg, Va. Don't know how Ohio got in there, except that I spent quite a while talking to other guests who were from Ohio (which also happens to be the state in which I was born).

Sorry! :oops:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Duckk   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:37 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Oh, ok, I feel better now. :lol:
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Keith_w   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:40 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

fallsfromtrees wrote: quote="XofDallas" quote="fallsfromtrees" either this is a typo on David's part (unlikely in such close proximately, or it is a separate action, and this has nothing to do with snippet 2, or RFC has something even sneakier in mind. Choices anyone? /quote

I vote typo. The mini-snippet was published 10 months ago. I don't know how rfc keeps track of all the names anyway, let alone how he keeps the story consistent with the maps. /quote
You might be correct, although if it is a typo, the two snippets are within a couple of pages, and I would think even a brief read through of the manuscript would have reveled the discrepancy - but snippet 2 may have been published before the final read through.

I wouldn't bet on that. I was re-reading HFAF (I think) and there was a portion where Manthyr and the boys were in the Gulf of Dohlar (I think) and someone said, "Inform Manchyr about..." and I thought, why would they want to tell the capital of Corrisande? And then realized that the computer had mis-heard RFC and picked the wrong name to include, so it is possible. There's lots of stuff like that.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:04 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Keith_w wrote:quote="XofDallas" quote="fallsfromtrees" either this is a typo on David's part (unlikely in such close proximately, or it is a separate action, and this has nothing to do with snippet 2, or RFC has something even sneakier in mind. Choices anyone? /quote

I vote typo. The mini-snippet was published 10 months ago. I don't know how rfc keeps track of all the names anyway, let alone how he keeps the story consistent with the maps. /quote
fallsfromtrees wrote:
You might be correct, although if it is a typo, the two snippets are within a couple of pages, and I would think even a brief read through of the manuscript would have reveled the discrepancy - but snippet 2 may have been published before the final read through.

I wouldn't bet on that. I was re-reading HFAF (I think) and there was a portion where Manthyr and the boys were in the Gulf of Dohlar (I think) and someone said, "Inform Manchyr about..." and I thought, why would they want to tell the capital of Corrisande? And then realized that the computer had mis-heard RFC and picked the wrong name to include, so it is possible. There's lots of stuff like that.

Perhaps, but the two names are pronounced differently, so the possibility of computer confusion is definitely minimal. Well if it is a typo, this should alert RFC to it so it can be fixed in the final version.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:14 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

I really, really hope that RFC isn't into recycling, othewise we might find that snippet #18 or #19 is actually #2 :o :shock: :o

Good snippet though!
Post by DDHvi   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:42 am

DDHvi
Captain (Junior Grade)

Kakai wrote:Thank you, RFC! Seems you had fun on the con and we got a long snippet, so everybody's happy. Thank you a lot!

So... no snorkels? Ah, damn, that's what I bet on. Well, at least all the rest is there... I keep on waiting for the BOOM.

Possibly BOOMs? There are likely to be more than one blockage that need slightly forcible removal, therefore more than one such incident. RFC just might choose to have several snippets that are enough alike to confuse us. :roll: Not that we need much help on that ;)
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by WES   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:48 am

WES
Ensign

Looks like to me that some Temple soldiers are going to be some of the first witnesses to the use of high explosives in a combat situation - dynamite as a black powder charge would be too large for one man to lay an effective charge.
Post by Kakai   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:53 am

Kakai
Commander

DDHvi wrote:Possibly BOOMs? There are likely to be more than one blockage that need slightly forcible removal, therefore more than one such incident. RFC just might choose to have several snippets that are enough alike to confuse us. :roll: Not that we need much help on that ;)

Well, the only think better than having a big BOOM is having a multiple big BOOMs! :mrgreen:

Yeah, I guess we'll have quite a lot of BOOMs in this book. Delthak is moving upriver, and Rychtair probably put more than one blockade on the way (not sure if he had time for it, but if he did, that seems resonable), and then there's Salthar canal which may or may not requre blowing up part of it. IIRC, when Tiny #2 came out, everybody was betting on Salthar canal to be blown up.
-----------
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt,
Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

- Ciaphas Cain
Post by therealorang   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:26 pm

therealorang
Ensign

Kakai wrote:Well, the only think better than having a big BOOM is having a multiple big BOOMs! :mrgreen:

"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!"

I feel like a junkie checking everyday for snippets - Thanks RFC :)
Post by Tonto Silerheels   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:15 pm

Tonto Silerheels
Captain of the List

WES wrote:

Looks like to me that some Temple soldiers are going to be some of the first witnesses to the use of high explosives in a combat situation - dynamite as a black powder charge would be too large for one man to lay an effective charge.

Very interesting! I look forward to the conversation where the group of four are determining who was so inattentive as to let Charis lay black powder charges on the barges.

~Tonto

Return to Safehold